Rabbit Hunting

PDA

Mr.Brown16
July 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
Has anyone ever hade any funny or interesting rabbit hunts. Also would like to know if anyone knows any good strategies and tactics.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rabbit Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
koja48
July 16, 2007, 05:58 PM
If me and a buddy standing around naked in deep snow at 15 degrees above zero on a crystal-clear Montana afternoon because the bunnies we had been carrying were flea-ridden & the fleas switched hosts qualifies, then yeah, I might have one . . .apart from that, I used to walk slowly, look for that perfectly round black bunny eye & head-shoot with .22LR solids.

Mr.Brown16
July 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
Haha very funny

eliphalet
July 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
Killed one with a 22 once and didn't put a hole in it, in one eye out the other.

Alphazulu6
July 16, 2007, 10:24 PM
12 and 20 gauge are good bunny guns with light loads (6 shot). .410 is also nice but with the rifle aim instead of the shotgun point it leaves alot to be desired on a running bunny though very very effective (even at longer ranges). Good Luck!

Geno
July 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
I prefer a .22LR. A 12 gauge destroys too much meat. A light load in 20 gauge is okay. I prefer to hunt them on a snowy day. Either if I see tracks or am stalking, I walk until I flush a rabbit. Then, I stop to wait for it to stop.

Trust me, they almost always stop running. They will check to see where you are. Have your .22LR's reddot on it when it stops and take 1 headshot.

In my youth, I used to apply the military-like tactic of blast it as soon as you see enemy movement. I personally had to learn to be more patient and let the rabbit get a bit farther away before pulling the trigger. I destroyed entirely too many rabbits by firing too early.

Rabbits are harder to trick than squirrels.

borrowedtime69
July 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
back in college i had gotten an SKS and wanted to try it out small game hunting. i finally got a rabbit in my sights and gut shot it. i killed and gutted it in one shot, hardly had to do any cleaning out of the internals. took it back to the dorms and cooked it up... yummm

-Eric

birddog
July 17, 2007, 06:46 PM
Most birddog guys will tell you not to let your dogs "run fur". My springers and lab have been rabbit hunters from day one. My ancient Maggie (now 13) in her prime at 4-7 years old, would regularly catch rabbits in the snow (and occasionally on dry ground). She'd take off after them, and next thing you hear is "wahhhhhhhhh" from somewhere back in the brush, and she'd come back -- smiling -- with a perfectly un-shot cottontail in her jaws.

She's lame and totally deaf now, but earned her comfortable retirement behind the recliner.

Shamless book plug: You can read about Maggie in "Season of Obsession" and "Thursday's Bird". www.wildernesswanderer.com

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60956&stc=1&d=1184708758

Gibbles
July 19, 2007, 10:03 PM
strange rabbit hunt
back in college i had gotten an SKS and wanted to try it out small game hunting. i finally got a rabbit in my sights and gut shot it. i killed and gutted it in one shot, hardly had to do any cleaning out of the internals. took it back to the dorms and cooked it up... yummm

-Eric

That sounds like one of my first times out hunting jacks, minus the eating part. I had been tracking a jack around a set of dens in this hill side, I finally had him cornered and with him looking up at me I took the shot with a .223 AR-15 (M4), I hit it right down through the chest and out the rear, it kind of bounced up and while the thing was in mid air it looked like when you shake out a rug, and as it waved it went loose and hit the ground like a rag doll. No way did that jack suffer in any way.
I had another I took with a Walther P22 loaded with Mini Mags, the rabbit just kind of fell over dead. I was impressed with that little gun; I almost did not take the shot fearing I would only wound it. But I had a solid shot while it was trying to look at me through the bushes a few yards away.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rabbit Hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!