Inexpensive spotters?

PDA

Gary O
July 17, 2007, 03:02 PM
I need an inexpensive (read cheap) spotting scope that will serve one purpose: to resolve 17 caliber bullet holes in the target at 100 yards or less from the bench. Any ideas? Thanks…
<><

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive spotters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aubie515
July 17, 2007, 06:44 PM
Why not include a price range? To some $25 is inexpensive, while to others it means $1,000...more information will yield you better advice.

MIL-DOT
July 17, 2007, 06:59 PM
check CDNN, they have several from $25-70. lots of other good stuff too, & cheap,fast shipping , great operation if you're not familiar with them.

aka108
July 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
Get one that goes to at least 45X. About 25 yrs ago was walking thru K Mart and saw a K Mart branded scope "Focal" for 19 bucks. Been beat around, looks like hell but still good for 100 yd range. For the purpose you want, get the cheapest but go 45X.

Slinger
July 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
Check E-Bay. Lots of cheep spotters there. I bought a Winchester WT-6 for about $139 including shipping. It works great for me at the ranges you mentioned. One word of advice which I learned right here is to be sure to get a good solid tripod to set it up on. Lots of the cheeper models have very flimsy tripods. You don't want to be setting up your scope after it tumbles onto the ground if you bump it with your elbow.

rocketfish
July 17, 2007, 09:47 PM
Search for Konus or Celestron if you want cheap (but surprisingly good). Go for at least 80 mm objective lens size.

Blackfork
July 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
A good scope and stand significantly enhances the shooting experience. I have a 20-60 eyepiece on a Kowa 821. Great glass. On my pistol box I have a 20X Kowa. Sharp. The big kowa can see .22 holes at 200 yards if the paper is new and the light good. The little Kowa is for .45 holes at 25 and 50 and is nearly too much.

I think you are going to need more than 20X to see .17 cal at 100 yards. I'd think 30+ with some quality. I was shooting a 8-32 power BSA Platinum scope on a 10/22 last week and we couldn't see holes in the black with certainty.

I'd check Champions Choice and Champions shooters supply. You might try some of the discount photo houses in NY and Chicago.

Beware. The most expensive scope you might buy would be a bargain basement scope that you have to buy three times.....before you finally shell out money for a good scope.

Car Knocker
July 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
Have you tried going to a sporting goods store and actually looking through some scopes to get an idea of the resolution and optical clarity you will need to serve your purpose?

SnakeEater
July 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
How's $50 sound? Go HERE (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=778&pricetype=)

geronimo13
July 17, 2007, 11:29 PM
I can easily see .223 holes in computer paper @ 100 and can sometimes make them out @ 200 with my Mueller 8x25 x 44 scope. I usually use 12-14 power for good clarity @ 100. I have actually looked thru the Harbor Freight $50 spotting scope and it wasn't bad. Haven't seen thru it at the range where it would count though.

glockman19
July 18, 2007, 12:01 AM
I bought my BASKRA ( I think that's how you spell it), at Big 5 on sale for $89. it has 20-60 magnification a tripod, hard and soft case. Ive used teh hard case to carry all of my cleaning items and use the soft case for the spotter. Works out well for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive spotters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!