Molon Lave TV

PDA

AtoZ
June 29, 2003, 08:58 PM
Sorry if I got the spelling wrong. Just noticed the Discovery channel has a two hour show tonight at 9:00 ET on the battle at Thermopylea where Leonidus so succinctly stated how many of us feel. Will be interesting to see how that part is portrayed. Hope some of y'all catch it, too.
-AtoZ

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Lave TV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Maffei
June 29, 2003, 09:09 PM
Came here to post the same thing.:)

MonkeyMan
June 30, 2003, 07:29 AM
No mention of Molon Labe. They did tell the tale of the Spartan that made the comment about "fighting in the shade" when he was told that the Persian archers were so numerous their arrows would darken the sun. Still, not too bad.

Mal H
June 30, 2003, 08:56 AM
I thought it was pretty good and historically accurate. It showed that the Spartans weren't the good guys all the time. They were very effective and ruthless slave holders for the most part. But when push came to shove, they never bent in their resolution. It's impossible to say with any certainty at all, but we might be speaking a different language today (or at least we would have some different root words) if it weren't for the Spartans (and Thebans and Thespians).

I was surprised they didn't mention the Molon Labe bit also, I thought maybe I had missed it during a fridge raid or something. After all, the saying is inscribed on Leonidas' statue at Thermopylae so it is certainly considered an important part of the event.

OF
June 30, 2003, 09:32 AM
It is a little weird that they didn't mention it... Makes you wonder.

- Gabe

veloce851
June 30, 2003, 12:10 PM
I saw about 2/3rds of it last night.
I've never studdied the historical accounts so I'm not sure how accurate they were.
There were some subjects they felt compelled to cover that I wonder about the accuracy.
I didn't see any mention of Molon Labe

Dave P
June 30, 2003, 12:15 PM
I lost interest about 1/2 way thru. Of course I also noted the rampant homosexuality encouraged by the Spartan leadership :barf: :barf:

AtoZ
June 30, 2003, 09:20 PM
I can't believe they didn't mention it. I also thought I must of missed it.

Mal H, have you read What If? Fascinating book that deals with the thought you were touching on. Military historians pondering how minor changes at critical turning points might have changed history. One of'em is the battle of Salamis, which followed Thermopylea. Good stuff that really makes ya think.
-AtoZ

only1asterisk
July 1, 2003, 05:40 AM
I too thought I must have missed it. It would appear to be a major omission to commit by oversight.

David

MicroBalrog
July 1, 2003, 06:48 AM
I lost interest about 1/2 way thru. Of course I also noted the rampant homosexuality encouraged by the Spartan leadership

And that's wrong?

Different culture. Homosexuality was perfectly acceptable back than.

Mal H
July 1, 2003, 11:12 AM
Very true. Guess we better not tell about Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar.

mattd
July 1, 2003, 04:52 PM
http://www.tvguide.com/listings/closerlook.asp?I=60907&Q=3862440&S=399&N=37&cl=DSC&DT=37808.6666666667

gun-fucious
July 1, 2003, 05:25 PM
oversight? alot of the show was an interview with Steven Pressman
They must of cut it out.

it was a good show but it seemed like they stretched 45 minutes of footage to fill the 2 hours. I must of seen that shot of the back lit spartan by the fire about 6 times

Dr.Rob
July 1, 2003, 06:22 PM
Several things were missing and strangely mis-stated.

Sparta was an Oligarchy, with an appointed king. No where else in Greece were you more equal than in Sparta. Even women could own property (which was NOT true in Athens) and claim citizenship. They didn't mention the Pelopnesian wars at all (in which Athens and Sparta were enemies.. nor did it mention Sparta's part in The Illiad... which names the Gates of Fire as the Death place of Heracles--remember Helen was the wife of Menelaus--King of Sparta) Usually this sort of colorful background is mentioned in Discovery shows.

Of course it din't pay to be a Helot. Also, in many paintings and historical data I've seen the Spartans wore thier crests from side to side, rather than front to back (though they did seem to show Lenoidas' helmet like that) And I also thought Leonidas had made the "fight in the shade" comment.

The Spartan "experiment" in Military Culture only lasted a few hundred years but has had far reaching consequences. Overall I thought the show was pretty good.

Molon Labe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Molon Lave TV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!