Duck hunting gun, need help.

PDA

CBR
July 17, 2007, 06:10 PM
I just got a chesapeake bay retrever a few weeks back. Anyway now that hes getting older his training is ending and i want to try him out in the feild. I have shot many Rifles a few years back but never hunted duck. I really am not well informed on the guns recently. What do you guys prefer for duck hunting? Shotgun? a-bolt rifle? other? please send me links of the guns you prefer for ducks. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Duck hunting gun, need help." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jimmie
July 17, 2007, 06:14 PM
John Kerry style (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=014B&cat_id=013&type_id=231)or Arkansas redneck style (http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&section=products)? :neener:

I love my Browning BPS.

41magsnub
July 17, 2007, 06:27 PM
You can't go wrong with a good pump gun.

I personally hunt ducks and geese with a Remington 870 12 ga Wingmaster and have no problems. Fits me well and it has no trouble downing birds. I am the third generation to use this particular shotgun and it shoots like the day it was new. You can get as fancy or as pedestrian as you want in the 870 line. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_wingmaster.asp

What the smarter folks are about to come in here and tell you is to try a few guns and see what you like. If you are lucky enough to live near a trap range that rents guns you should try an assortment.

The best advice I think anyone can give is whatever you end up getting spend some time at a trap club and get some practice.

CBR
July 17, 2007, 06:28 PM
Are all cynergy the same style? just some better than others? can they all hunt duck?

MCgunner
July 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
A Mossberg 500 is all you need. I prefer it for several reasons to the 870 which I've owned in the past.

I'd make sure whatever you get is preferably a 12 gauge, pattern it with the steel shot you're going to use, and you're set. I had problems with the 870 reloading it with cold fingers. The Mossberg's shell elevator doesn't get in the way and pinch cold thumbs or gloved thumbs. I've had shells I didn't quite get in the magazine slip out and jam under the elevator, quite annoying. It's also a pain when you try to use gloves and they get caught in the action. Also, I shoot left handed and prefer the tang safety of the Mossy. Those are my only reasons for shooting the Mossberg over the Remington. Both are well built and offer a lot of gun for not that much money.

I've got other shotguns I use, but this ol' Mossy is a go to gun for all conditions, ducks, geese, whatever. I've been waterfowling for 40 years and have not found anything that kills 'em any deader, though some hurt less on the shoulder, but that's another story.

http://imageigloo.com/images/5013PICT03731-1.JPG

Guitargod1985
July 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
Here's my duck hunting gun. It used to be my grandfather's. I don't believe Winchester makes this particular model anymore. It's a 12 gauge model 50. Jeez, I look kinda mean in this picture.

I have a Mossberg 500, but it only has an 18.5" barrel, so I don't really use it for hunting or clays. It's my bedside gun.

MCgunner
July 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
My beside gun doubles as a bird gun, too....

http://imageigloo.com/images/6966PICT0097.JPG

Kimber1911_06238
July 17, 2007, 10:08 PM
I use a BPS because that's what i have and it works well. My friend has a Benelli, what a sweet gun, but very pricey.

Guido2006
July 17, 2007, 11:10 PM
You can't go wrong with a good pump gun.

I personally hunt ducks and geese with a Remington 870 12 ga Wingmaster and have no problems. Fits me well and it has no trouble downing birds. I am the third generation to use this particular shotgun and it shoots like the day it was new. You can get as fancy or as pedestrian as you want in the 870 line. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...wingmaster.asp

I agree completely. You can't go wrong with an 870 Wingmaster. Though, as a couple other people said, if you can, try to at least shoulder (and shoot if possible) a couple guns from different companies.

A used Remington 1100 (semi-auto) for around $400 might also be a good option if you want to go that route.

OK-gobbler
July 18, 2007, 01:12 AM
Mossberg 835's are another affordable option. I have 2 and they were $250-$300.

Selfdfenz
July 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
Fit and function are important but.....

Seems to me you might want to tell us a little more about where (potholes and small ponds, lakes, creeks, flooded timber, open fields) and how (walk and wade, boat, blind) you plan to hunt and what (woodies, other puddlers or geese) you plan to hunt. Not saying there aren't platforms out there that will do most all of that but the the number that do it all extremely well are few.

Best

S-

MCgunner
July 18, 2007, 10:03 AM
I use a BPS because that's what i have and it works well. My friend has a Benelli, what a sweet gun, but very pricey.

IMHO, the BPS is the sweetest pump on the market. It has the advantages over the 870 that I stated for the Mossberg and, in addition, is a super slick action and ejects out the bottom which is good for the south paw. I'd have one, but for the fact I can't bring my cheap butt to pay that much for a pump. LOL

I have a NICE Winchester 1400 semi auto I like because it's soft on the shoulder, but it only chambers 2 3/4" loads, so I don't use it on geese. It's a good duck gun, though. The gun wasn't expensive at all, but is discontinued. It was one of the best bargain semi autos ever IMHO, but lack 3" chamber and steel shot laws means I don't use it on geese. It's one of the few semi-autos that was in my budget, though. I gave $255 for it at Walmart back in 88 and it's still killin' birds and still looks pretty good. The way that gun fits me, I don't see myself selling it. The drop at comb and length of pull feel like they were designed for me. You find a gun that fits that well, you hang on to it. It's a joy to shoot.

Kingcreek
July 18, 2007, 10:17 AM
Any 12g, preferably with 3" chamber and choke tubes, in the flavor of your choice.
Duck and goose guns tend to see some abuse from things like dogs, mud, loading boats in the dark, etc so a synthetic stock is not a bad idea.
I shoot a Winchester SX2 for all my waterfowl hunting and I couldn't be happier, but there are many others out there that would work just fine.

critter
July 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
Remington Express 870 12 ga 3" magnum with choke tubes. Really good gun at a moderate price and is flixible enough to fit ANY waterfouling situation.

Good luck and have fun. Duck hunting is a barrel of fun!

Alphazulu6
July 18, 2007, 10:56 AM
Most any 12 gauge, 26"+ barrel length, chambered in 3" that can use steel will serve you well. The rest is a matter of your preference and what fits you well. I prefer an over and under personally. But thats just me :D

MCgunner
July 18, 2007, 11:22 AM
O/Us are cool. Used to hunt with a side by side before steel shot laws. However, it kicked like a mule, but I was young. I ruined that pretty side by side taking it into the salt marsh and bangin' it around in the bottom of boats on long boat rides, though. I'm a believer in cheap guns that work for waterfowl, by experience. The salt marsh and bay hunting are not nice to expensive finishes. My old Mossy's camo finish has proved pretty tough, still a couple of rust patches on the barrel, but they blend in with the pattern. ROFL!

My old double wasn't an expensive gun, but I think back on how pretty it was and shed a tear sometimes. It still shoots, but the wear and tear is sad, sad, sad. If you plan on hunting anywhere near salt water, keep that in mind.

Durby
July 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
I bought an 870 so I wouldn't have to baby it. My uncle is a duck hunting fanatic, but he wastes so much time taking care of his gun, making sure it doesn't get scratched, etc. Its a waste of energy. You can buy 3 or 4 pump guns to use and abuse before you buy one very nice auto. Also, as someone previously mentioned, the condition you plan to hunt in make a difference. If you're hunting in a small blind, don't go with SxS or O/U, the break action design is not suited to cramped quarters, and you will hit the barrels on stuff (my blind is concrete). As the previous poster mentioned, finishes do get ruined. My gun sits out in the rain, gets muddy, doesn't get cleaned, etc. The cheap Remington wood swelled, get the synthetic. The most important part to clean on any duck gun in the choke tube threads- I know several hunters that have a fixed choke now. Clean and oil the threads if you do nothing else.

MCgunner
July 18, 2007, 02:53 PM
Gun grease for choke tube threads....and often, like every time I come home from a hunt.

ArmedBear
July 18, 2007, 03:01 PM
870 Express -- Remington is currently offering a rebate, too.

Anything a Cynergy will hit, it will also hit. Nothing against the Cynergy, which I like, but I'd rather have a cheaper gun in the mud, one without precision machining like the latch, hinge, and ejectors of an O/U.

Spend the money you save at the trap range.

Few rifle shooters can hit anything with a shotgun, without practice. I've seen an exception (someone on this board, actually), but it's very rare.

Beware of an addiction that may extend way past hunting season...:)

Also, shotguns are personal. Once you've practiced a good amount, you'll be in a much better position to get a spendy gun, because it will be the right gun for you. Right now, you probably would have no idea. That means lots of money wasted. You'll never regret having an inexpensive, durable pump gun as a backup anyway.

waterhouse
July 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
It sort of depends what you want to spend. For the money, it is hard to go wrong with an 870 or one of the mossbergs. I've killed plenty of ducks with mine. Don't be afraid to pick up a used on from a pawn shop, it will be cheaper and have a lot of life left in it.

My dad always used a BPS (I have it now) and in a tight blind your hunting partners will appreciate the bottom ejecting. I think they cost a little more than an 870 though.

For more money, you can look at autos. Opinions vary and can get pretty heated on which brands are best. You can start researching the Beretta Xtrema 2 (and others in the 391 line), Benelli SBE and M1/m2 line, Winchester sx2 and sx3, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

I've got a Cynergy for upland stuff . . . like ArmedBear I wouldn't subject it to duck hunting muck.

Anyhow, like any other gun the fit is the most important.

CBR
July 18, 2007, 04:29 PM
i was looking at mossbergs and i was wondering if anyone had the 930 magnum waterfowl? any opinons on it/ i was also wondering if a shotgun thats good for turkeys can work on waterfowl because i really love the 935 magnum slugster.

CBR
July 18, 2007, 04:40 PM
Also i really like Rifles. If there are any that can be fore waterfowl what type would it be?ie bolt action

41magsnub
July 18, 2007, 04:48 PM
If you REALLY wanted a bolt action shotgun you could pick up a Savage Model 210FT Camo Turkey Gun

http://www.savagearms.com/210ftcamo.htm

I doubt you would get many folks here to recommend it though for your needs.

ArmedBear
July 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
If you shoot a shotgun like a rifle, the ducks had better be sitting on the water, because otherwise you won't hit them.:)

MCgunner
July 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
Rifles are illegal for migratory birds. Bolt actions are clumsey for wing shooting. Just go to wallyworld and look at the $200 Mossberg 500s and 870 Remington expresses and be assured you are well equipped for waterfowl when you make your choice. You don't need anything tacticool and the law limits you to 3 rounds total, two in the magazine, one in the barrel. That is accomplished by means of a plug in the magazine which the gun comes equipped with. Now, as for knowing how to wing shoot, well, that's going to take time and practice. Watch a lot of wing shooting shows on Outdoor Channel, especially Tom Knapp and his "Benelli cam". You'll learn about lead that way. You might wanna do some reading on the subject, too, unless you know someone who can instruct you. Find a range and do some shooting at clays for practice.

Hey, they make pump rifles, ya know, or have in the past. Bolt guns are more accurate than pump rifles, but with shotguns, that doesn't matter. The pump mechanism can rattle some, a problem with pump rifles and shotguns while turkey hunting, but not for waterfowl. Pumps and autos rule the duck marsh for a reason.

Bwana John
July 18, 2007, 10:09 PM
Ducks live in the swamp.

The best duck hunting weather is usually wet.

The wet swamp is not a friendly place for deep blue finishes and pretty wood.

Ducks see pretty well, no shiny metal.

My sugestion would be a Rem 870 Express, or other similar inexpensive Mossberg or Winchester pump.

Ive got a old 870 that is camoed with krylon paint (which also hides the rust damage). Plastic stocks hold up better to
accedential dunkings.

Congratulation on the new Chessy, you have the king of waterfowl dogs. They can be rather hard-headed, but there is nothing better for ice busting, marathoon swimming, and wounded goose wrangling.

duck_god82
July 18, 2007, 11:00 PM
I started with a 1500 winchester auto then a 1300 winchester pump and am currtenly shooting a charles daly auto. I like the pump better in the cold weather.

CBR
July 20, 2007, 05:45 PM
bwanna man were you talking about The model 870 express http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express.asp

or an express like 870 exspres super model
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_870_express.asp

darkwing
July 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
Waterfowl is as bad as smoking. I'm having withdrawall pains now waiting for early Teal season.
Nova, BPS, Mossy, Remington, and Winchester all are good choices. On a used gun make sure its safe for steel and choked no tighter than mod.
If I was just starting out it'd be with a Nef 12 gauge or 20 single shot and with the money saved I'd spend it on Tungensten alloy shot. It really works on Geese and Cranes! Why I remember the time I got :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: Sorry folks I guess I started having flashbacks.

Bwana John
July 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
bwanna man were you talking about The model 870 express,
or an express like 870 exspres super model?

It appears the differance is the "super" model has the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells.

My 870 Express shoots 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

Some older 870's will only shoot 2 3/4" shells.

I would only concider the 3.5 inch model if most of my waterfowl hunting was pass shooting for big geese. (and I was rich, I cant afford the 3.5 inch stuff.)

With the steel shot regulations I would not concider the older 2 3/4" only model.

MCgunner
July 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
If you're going to go 3.5", get a ten. Better. However, I'll shoot 3" hevi shot on geese or the new hevi steel (cheaper) and live happy. :D Of course, we don't have those huge Canadas down here, well, not many, mostly snows, blues, and specs. We do have sandhills, and 3" with hevi shot is killer on them, too.

Fortunately, I don't do a whole lot of goose hunting. That hevi shot, even the hevi steel is expensive. I reminisce about lead shot days. :(

Selfdfenz
July 21, 2007, 11:12 PM
"I reminisce about lead shot days"

Double amen dittos. On ducks, nothing, including bismuth or the matrix loads, KO'd em like a HV load of lead #5s.

S-

Geno
July 21, 2007, 11:35 PM
Wingmaster. :) Every duck that I have ever taken has fallen to some form of a Remington 870.

MCgunner
July 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
I used to shoot lead fives in 2 3/4" 20 gauge when I was a kid and killed as many as any of my 12 ga buddies who gave me a hard time with my "pop gun". :D it was an old Wingmaster, before I got wise and bought a Mossberg. :neener::D

If you enjoyed reading about "Duck hunting gun, need help." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!