How to get rid of scratches on Stainless Steel slide?

PDA

.357 magnum
July 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
This is an area I have no experience in. I just bought a gun that came with a few scratches on the slide. When a gun is new I prefer that it least start out nice. They are not deep, but surface scratches. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Would it work on an older gun too? I do appreciate any help!

Thank you! The Best to All!

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "How to get rid of scratches on Stainless Steel slide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AcenJay
July 17, 2007, 06:28 PM
If it's polished stainless steel, try Flitz and some elbow grease.

AK103K
July 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
I bead blasted mine. Went over the whole gun and made it all matte, instead of polished flats. Makes the gun look like new and doesnt show the scratches like the polished flats do.

kennedy
July 17, 2007, 08:25 PM
try the green scotch pads you use to clean pots and pans for the worst scratches. use gun oil and go lightly. for light scratches or to follow up after the green scotch pad get some synthetic 000 steel wool and use gun oil to work out the scratches and blend in with the surrounding finish. worked great on my anaconda.

tackleberi
July 17, 2007, 08:25 PM
If it is a satin-finish, 'grained' stainless (like on the newer S&W revolvers and Seecamp pistols), a green heavy-duty Scotch-Brite pad, in the direction of the 'grain', does wonders:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubbing_scouring.html

Jubjub
July 17, 2007, 08:49 PM
The green pads are a bit coarse for a final finish. Maroon, gray, white are the finer grades. White is supposed to be equivalent to 0000 steel wool.

Woodcraft sells an assortment of pads. Handy for much besides guns.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5502

JoeHatley
July 18, 2007, 12:44 PM
Stop into www.midwestwoodworkersonline.com and get an assortment of the woven pads. I like the grey, but the finish on your gun will determine which is best for you.

For the rest of the board members, these guys are local to the original poster.

Good Luck...

Joe

1 old 0311
July 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
Flitz is good. So is SemiChrome. Both are a 'bit' abrasive though. Start with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish. If that doesn't work step up to Flitz, or SemiChrome.

PX15
July 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
Larry Seecamp recommends 3M "Scotch Brite" pads for removing scratches on the Seecamp pistols.

I believe this product is available at most department stores such as Walmart, K-mart, etc.. Also paint stores.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

.357 magnum
July 18, 2007, 08:43 PM
Great replies! A lot of knowledge out there on our site! Looking at the replies I should have mentioned gun brand etc. It is a Taurus 24/7 Pro [New]. Of course it is the stainless model, it looks to be more of a matte finish and I would not want to be real abrasive on it because of the brand, caliber, etc. etchings.

Thank you to all who replied!
The Best to you and Yours!

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "How to get rid of scratches on Stainless Steel slide?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!