does this happen to you? (reticule focus problem)

PDA

grafsk8er
July 17, 2007, 11:12 PM
while looking down my scope, i can see the target clearly, but the cross hairs are fuzzy. but then i adjust my own eye to see the cross hairs clearly, but now the target is fuzzy. is this me, the scope, me and scope, normal, or what?

If you enjoyed reading about "does this happen to you? (reticule focus problem)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USMC6177
July 17, 2007, 11:27 PM
Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Focus on the sight when firing.

grafsk8er
July 17, 2007, 11:29 PM
alright, so i wasn't doing anything wrong. that's good. thanks

Walter
July 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yep, the same thing happens with iron sights. That's why they
teach you to focus on the front sight. You can still see the
target and the rear sight, although fuzzy, but that front-sight-focus
is critical to straight shooting.

Walter

grafsk8er
July 17, 2007, 11:42 PM
yea, that's what i do with my .22 with iron sites. i did the opposite however with my scoped rifle. i used to see the target, the focus the cross hairs on the target, then refocus back on the target and shoot. i'll just focus on the cross hairs from now on.

22-rimfire
July 17, 2007, 11:48 PM
Sometimes there is a focus adjustment for scopes. Check yours out. The reticle and target should be in sharp focus. That is what scopes are made for and why they are popular. What scope are you talking about?

GRIZ22
July 18, 2007, 03:06 AM
It seems to me that when using a scope the target and cross hairs are both in the same plane and both are in focus.

daniel (australia)
July 18, 2007, 03:26 AM
You need to ensure that the scope crosshairs are focussed for your eyes, for starters. The usual way of doing this is to aim at the sky and adjust the scope's focussing ring until the crosshairs are sharp. You need to look away (to infinity) frequently, as your eyes will work to to accommodate the out of focus crosshairs if you look at them for more than a few seconds, which defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Once the crosshairs are properly focussed with a decent scope of magnification up to about 9x or so the crosshairs and target should appear to be on the same focal plane at usual shooting ranges (most are nominally adjusted to be bang-on at about 150 yards, but will have enough latitude - depth of field - for any discrepancy to be fairly negligible across a fair range of distances).

Higher magnification scopes may show some discrepancy, as the depth of field is less as magnification goes up, which is why scopes with high magnification often have adjustable objective lenses, to bring the target image into the same focal plane as the crosshairs at various distances.

Fumbler
July 18, 2007, 03:32 AM
It's called parallax.

Both the crosshairs and target will never be in focus unless the distance between the scope and target is exactly the distance that the scope is set to be parallax free.
On most centerfire scopes that's 100-150 yards.
You cannot adjust out parallax without physically moving the objective lense (ie get an A/O scope or send it to the factory to get adjusted).

Majic
July 18, 2007, 03:35 AM
Simple language.........learn to adjust your scope. Your crosshairs and target should be crystal clear with the crosshair superimposed on the target.

grafsk8er
July 18, 2007, 10:58 AM
alright, thanks, let me go see what i can work up.

just checked my scope out, i didn't realize but i had too high of a power on something too close. my bad, which is the reason it was fuzzy. i adjusted it to where it should be, and everything is all clear and normal now.

rangerruck
July 18, 2007, 11:17 AM
it can also be a bit of the scope, so make sure you adjust your eye to the crosshairs , first, by turniing the rear bell closest to your eye, until they are nice and sharp. then adjust the front bell, for object clarity. the crosshairs and the object lens should be in the same focal plane, at least with a decent scope, so this problem you are having should not being happening.

If you enjoyed reading about "does this happen to you? (reticule focus problem)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!