Mosin Nagant m44 having issues cycling ammo

PDA

ndolson
July 17, 2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't see an "ammunition" forum, so since this involves a rifle I guess it would be best suited here. Feel free to move mods if there is a more appropriate place for it.

I bought 880 rounds of the copper washed hungarian steel core off gunbroker about a month ago. It took me awhile to get to the range and when I tried it out in my m44 I had a HELL OF A TIME getting the action open after I fired it. I don't think the case expanded, although I didn't pay a whole lot of attention at the time. It is a little "dirtier" on the case than the stuff I bought at a funshow awhile back. Has a slight texture to it instead of being smooth. Steel case cycles fine through the same gun...like silk.

Any ideas as to whats going on? Is the case texture causing the extracting problems? Any way to clean them up? I'd hate to think I have 880 rds of ammo I can't use

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant m44 having issues cycling ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohio Rifleman
July 17, 2007, 11:52 PM
It might not be the ammo.

If you're new to Mosins, there is something called "sticky bolt syndrome" that is all too common with these wonderful rifles. Anyway, I got an M44 a short time ago, and I've only used brass cased ammo in it, and it's cycled fine for me. I'd suggest THOROUGHLY cleaning and lubing your rifle (if you haven't already), try the ammo again, and if it keeps giving you issues, then maybe it is the ammo.

ndolson
July 17, 2007, 11:55 PM
I have many Mosin's ;) and this one is clean as a whistle. It cycles all my other steel cased ammo butter smooth...any ammo I've fed it for that matter, even the same kind of Hungarian ammo bought at a gun show 6 months ago (which has since been shot up).

I'll clean the chamber once more to be safe, though.

Ohio Rifleman
July 17, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hm, maybe you did get a bad batch of ammo. Not sure what to tell you. Send that ammo to me, and I can test it for you! :neener:

ndolson
July 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
I guess I could put it in one of my other MN's...I usually just have one shooter of each model and a couple "collectibles" that never get shot. I guess I can bust out one of my other m44's...

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant m44 having issues cycling ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!