Mods to your XD

PDA

Ghostrider_23
July 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
What type of mods have you done to your XD and has it improved the overall performance of the pistol?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods to your XD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
July 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
Heinie sights, Canyon Creek trigger job. Both help me shoot my XD45 Tactical pretty darn well. ;)

kellyj00
July 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
I got a leather holster. That's all that my 4" XD 9mm was lacking.

biggiesmalls
July 18, 2007, 04:08 PM
i did the grip tape. too rough for my delicate hands so i took it off after one trip to the range :)

Clobbersaurus
July 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
I put a Dons Guide Rod with 22lb spring in mine. http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=01DRA

Also have some TruGlo Tritium sights I have to have installed.

Thats it so far.

Clobber

BamBam-31
July 18, 2007, 06:08 PM
Re: grit tape. You can use another bit of grit tape to take the edge off the pieces you're sticking on the grips. I've got rolls of it from Home Depot that I stick all over ALL my guns (and hockey blades). Absolutely love it.

Oh, yeah, have the tungsten guide rod in my XD, too.

Did I mention how freakin' difficult it was changing out the sights? Pay a pro the $20 and be done with it. :banghead:

Walkalong
July 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
"Inconceivable!" Unimagineable :D

Ric
July 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
I like this guys work, I'm still undecided if I'm going to get an M&P or an XD but it will go to him

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

"Inconceivable!"

Unimagineable

I don't think that means what you think it means :D

varoadking
July 18, 2007, 09:06 PM
What type of mods have you done to your XD

Sold all four of them...never found them to shoot particularly well...

BamBam-31
July 18, 2007, 09:15 PM
I've only ever shot two XD's. The first was a 9mm range gun, Service model, IIRC. Shot a 5-shot ragged hole at 15 yds. with it. That gun was beat to hell, too. Literally died a few shots later (in the hands of JohnKSa).

Accuracy and ergos impressed me enough that I bought my own, the aforementioned 45 Tactical model. I use that gun to play H.O.R.S.E. on the steel silhouettes at our range. I'm hitting 6-8" gongs at 100 yds. with that sucker, man. The 12" gong I nail pretty much automatically.

For a gun in that price range, I'm damn impressed by its accuracy. Maybe I just got lucky....

Guitargod1985
July 19, 2007, 01:21 AM
I purchased a laser for my 5" XD45 recently. It's fairly inexpensive as lasers go ($140 or so) but it works just fine. I sighted it for ten yards, because I figured that's probably a good distance as far as where I'm statistically likely to need to shoot (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The XD is my main HD gun - besides the Mossy shotty. I'm going to put night sights on it soon. Here's a couple of pics.

Thad
July 19, 2007, 02:04 AM
QUOTE:Sold all four of them...never found them to shoot particularly well...

It took buying 4 of them to figure that out???

I have done nothing to my 9tactical because it shoots great!

Lennyjoe
July 19, 2007, 02:56 AM
Nothing to my XD-45 either.

Only mod I'd like done is night sights since its my primary CCW weapon.

Warner
July 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
Slightly reduced the grip side (near the top) because it was rubbing on by thumb joint, big-time.

Ala Dan
July 19, 2007, 07:51 AM
Tru-Glo TFO's, and a KC Custom Leather holster, for my XD-F .45 ACP~! ;):D

Oops! I forgot that I added a Streamlight TLR-1 to the rail.

Ghostrider_23
July 19, 2007, 08:33 AM
These are the mods I'm getting ready to do to my XD Tactical. I see some of you have some of the parts I'm getting ready to install, how do you like them??? Is the guide rod replacement worth doing and can you feel the difference???

1. Arredondo Extended Base Pad for XD
2. Don's Guide Rod & Spring for XD
3. Bushing for Don's Guide Rod
4. Trigger Upgrade Kit for XD
5. Trigger Bar for XD
6. TRUGLO Fiber Optic Sights for XD
7. Canyon Creek Oversized Magazine Release
8. TruGrip for XD
9. Magwell & Frame Plug for XD

crazed_ss
July 19, 2007, 09:13 AM
Pardon my ignorance.. what does adding the Dons Guide Rod improve?

bigmike45
July 19, 2007, 09:29 AM
TruGlo TFO Sights, X2 rail mounted flashlight and a Brommeland Max Con V Leather Holster. Thinking about the Laser Max Guide Rod Laser next.

bigmike45

USMC_1983-89
July 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
Well, I just broke the 500 round mark last Sunday and my XD40 Service has been flawless. I've fed it the regular Winchester Ranger in both 165 and 180 grain varieties, the Winchester Ranger T-Series (SXT) in 180 grain, Speer Gold Dots in 180 grain and Winchester 180 grain range/practice FMJ ball. It eats it all. I now carry the Ranger SXT 180 gr. exclusively for my carry ammo.

I've finally sent it to Springer Precision (sent it on Monday the 16th and have received and email from Scott that's it's already on the way home and I should have it today, the 19th) for one of Scott's combat carry trigger jobs, a new Barstock trigger bar, Dawson Precision tritium night sights (the tritium vials are made by Trijicon) and finally, to polish the feed ramp.

Through the excellent information I've received from XDTalk, I've heard nothing but great things about Springer's trigger jobs and as this pistol is my daily carry weapon, it's time to start doing a bit of customization work.

As I'm sure most of you know, the trigger job will reduce the total take up to .35" and is said to work wonders on the over-travel and reset too. The idea behind the trigger bar is to limit the forward and aft movement of the trigger, again reducing any unnecessary travel. Any movement that's removed from the trigger pull equates to a reduction of movement from the muzzle and that will, hopefully, further improve accuracy. Additionally, according to Scott, it's a stronger part than the XD stock part and reduces flex as well.

I'll report back here when the work is complete and I've taken it to the range.

BamBam-31
July 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
crazed ss--Many of the aftermarket guide rods are heavier than the OEM guide rod, so they add a bit of weight to the muzzle end (and hopefully reduces muzzle flip).

Scorpiusdeus
July 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'll be sending mine into Springer as well for Dawsons and Trigger work.

BamBam-31
July 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
Scorp! Hey, the man with the CUT! :D

Your XD was a .40, no? Looked like you enjoyed shooting it up at Angeles the other day! :)

Lennyjoe
July 20, 2007, 02:36 AM
Mine is riding in a Desanti's Inner Piece. Its a pretty darn comfortable holster.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/desantisholster_1956_4787679

tinygnat219
July 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
Nothing other than testing different loads out of it.

dang
July 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
got a 20rd clip cause I cant shoot it enough

Avenger
July 20, 2007, 10:53 PM
Just a set of TruGlo sights for me so far.

Ghostrider, the frame plug fits in the little space on the grip just behind the mag, the spot that looks like it is missing something? Who makes that, I need one!

kansas45
July 21, 2007, 12:47 AM
Trigger jobs on my XD45 Tactical & XD45 Service. Tried a Hogue slip on grip but didn't like it much. Ended up with Skateboard tape & it does the trick. Without anything at all, the pistol move's around in my hand when I sweat.

FORTHELOVEOFGUNS2nd
July 21, 2007, 02:38 AM
I have the XD Service 45ACP 4". I really can not think of any mods that the gun needs it shoots outstanding I already have the tritium night sights on it. I am a gunsmith and a gun collector so I do all the work on my own guns. I did however paint the polymer part of my XD in Blackhawk Olive Drab. I only use Duracoat firearms finish and what a difference it made. I have been to the range three times since I painted it and I am dead serious everyone was checking it out. I left the mag floor plate black as well as the slide release, slide removal lever, grip safety and the trigger. I was going to paint it Flat Dark Earth because they just came out with that option in 07 but I finished painting a Chinnese SKS in a folding stock with the new SOCOM kit on the front Blackhawk Olive Drab and man did it come out looking sweet. I also painted the reciever and the barrel Matte Black on the SKS.
Back to the XD I don't understand why everyone is intent on having a trigger job done on these pistols they already break clean about 5 to 6 pounds unless you are shooting in tournaments. I can see changing the recoil spring for different or hotter loads especially in 45ACP +P+ its a lot easier to double and triple tap with a heavier spring and keep your rounds on target. I do this all the time with my CZ-52 just by increasing the spring by 2#'s makes a world of difference on loads shooting at 1,800 FPS.

RobXD9
July 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
My XD9 is my carry piece so I've only added night sights to it. I prefer not to do any other mods for a carry piece.

-Robert

varoadking
July 21, 2007, 07:20 PM
QUOTE:Sold all four of them...never found them to shoot particularly well...

It took buying 4 of them to figure that out???

I am a patient man and truly wanted to like these. Two .45's and two 9mm's... all less than satisfactory...

d4rryl
July 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
XD9 Service here with Don's Guide rode and a #20 spring. Dawson fiber optic front and rear. I too am wondering about the frame plug. Any pictures?

Hacker15
July 21, 2007, 08:54 PM
XD40 Service model (one of my duty guns)

1. Trijicon night sights
2. Don's rod guide and 20# and 22# springs (went back to the OEM spring set and use these only for a backup in case the OEM parts ever break)
3. Hogue Handall (removed this because it made the grip a little too thick - reused it on a Ruger P97DC - another duty gun)
4. Three 12 round mags

One of the best pistols I've ever shot - right out of the box.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mods to your XD" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!