Would like help picking a scope

PDA

jwhunter
July 18, 2007, 02:42 PM
I plan on doing some deer hunting this season with a Remington 700 in a .308 and was wondering what type of scope you guys recommend. My farthest shooting lane is only about 100 yards and I don't have a whole lot to spend. I'm looking to buy something for around $150 or less for now until I can afford a better scope. Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like help picking a scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JonB
July 18, 2007, 04:08 PM
Check riflescopes.com for deals. For just a bit more (around 200) they usually have a Burris Fullfield with free spotting scope. I am planning on one of these for my AR. You can probably find a Bushnell or Simmons or Tasco for around 150.

Tully M. Pick
July 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
I know it's a little more, but I'd check out the Bushnell Elite 3200 series scopes. IIRC they're around $200, although I might be a bit off on some of their higher end offerings.

ArmedBear
July 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
Fullfield II with free binocs. That's what I got.:)

waterhouse
July 18, 2007, 04:14 PM
I think Sightron has some scopes in the $150-$200 range, good glass for the money.

Also check out http://www.samplelist.com/ , they have some store displays and trade ins, plus great customer service, and your dollar may go a little farther if you don't mind an open box product.

For 100 yards, you don't need much magnification at all, so you might want to consider a fixed 4x or 6x (you'll likely get better glass for the same money in the fixed power over a variable.)

KINGMAX
July 18, 2007, 04:21 PM
TASCO = Will not hold center :neener::neener:

Simmons = had two, both fogged up, both the front lens fell out. I bought the first, took it back, got the second on the exchange, and it performed just like the first.:cuss:

BSA = use only the 22 types

BSA Red DOT = :barf:

JOMHO

glockman19
July 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
I just paid $113 for a Bushnell Day & Night serries Banner scope 6-24x40. I'll be removing the much more expensive Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 from my Remington 700 CDL and putting the 3200 on my Ruger mini-14

akolleth
July 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
Well you can also pick up an older Weaver K4 or K6 fixed power for around $50-75 on evilbay. Built like a tank, although it only has the fixed lens.

ArmedBear
July 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
BSA = use only the 22 types

Mine didn't hold center. That was a few years ago, though.

Eyesac
July 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
I just bought the Burris 3-9 w/ GPS from SWFA, but the regular 3-9 by it's self was $159 I think... Great scope. I tell you what, I think they beat the heck out of a (the cheaper) Leopolds and their cheaper...

birddog
July 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
The BEST luck I've had with inexpensive scopes are the Bushnell line. I've used and abused them for many years, on many caliber rifles and have never had a problem. Rain, snow, wind, submersion in swamps, rivers.....

Tasco World Class can also be found during discounts (WalMart, Gander Mountain) and I've also used and abused two of these over the years, one on a 50 cal muzzleloader and one on a .308.

I've had both brands in fixed 4-power and 3-9.

Some will tell you to get nothing but Leupold. I disagree. High end scopes are good if you can afford them, but not an absolute necessity for the sportsman. Good quality scopes can be had at reasonable prices.

The Deer Hunter
July 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
I have a Simmons 8 point on my T/C Omega, its 1.5-5x 40mm which is pretty swell. I got it as a gift, but I have a T/C hawken hunter which is pretty much the same thing. The T/C scope was only about $120 to. I like it, it picks up light very well too.

TnBigBore
July 18, 2007, 07:14 PM
I agree that the Bushnell Banner and Trophy series scopes are great for the money. A good used Weaver should come in under that price range as well. Since you will not be shooting over 100yds, I would go with a 2-7X or smaller. You dont need more magnification and will appreciate how much better your rifle handles and carries with the smaller, lighter scope.

redneck2
July 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
If you're using it for hunting, make absolutely sure it's waterproof and fog proof. There are some screaming deals on e-bay on Burris scopes. I've got Burris, B&L's (now Weaver), Leupold, and Nikon. Maybe my best scope in terms of clarity is the Burris Black Diamond, but it's a little above your range.

Tasco, Simmons, and BSA's are pretty much crap for hunting IMO. They may do fine on target rifles, but a hunting scope has to hold up to bad weather.

I just got a Weaver 2.5x8 for my Contender pistol. I'd really look hard at Weaver.

For years, I used a straight 4x Bushnell on my 12 gauge for deer. It held up to all kinds of weather, and if it'll take the recoil of 3" Remington Copper Solids, it'll take anything you're going to shoot.

aubie515
July 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
The Mueller scopes are pretty decent for the money. I have an illuminated reticle on my 22mag and it has held up thus far. I also bought the Bushnell 10x mil dot scope for $150 as well...normally they will run you $200, but you can find deals on them from time to time.

Nikon prostaff scopes can be found for your price range as well.

Mike128
July 18, 2007, 09:15 PM
For under $200 I would go with a fixed power scope. You will get a better quality scope compared to a variable in the same price range. A Nikon Monarch 4 or 6 power are both under $200. Also don't count out the Weaver Grand Slam 4.75.
If most your shots are under 100 yards these will work just fine. Keep in mind that fixed power scopes are usually more durable due to less parts and brighter due to fewer lenses. Many hunters used and still use fixed power scopes.
I find the 4 powers to be perfect if I'm shooting offhand and in the woods.

electrode1998
July 22, 2007, 09:15 AM
You can get a nikon 3-9x40 from Natchez Shooters Supply on closeout for 200 while they last. They are normally $320.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like help picking a scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!