Recoil Springs

PDA

bg226
July 18, 2007, 07:14 PM
When is the right time to change recoil springs?

I don't have any definite information on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
July 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
Two major schools of thought on this.
1. Replace them every few (3-5000) thousand rounds, fewer if a lot of +P is fired.
2. Replace them when hard recoil or functioning problems occur.
I go with the periodic replacement. Why not prevent problems?

Mad Magyar
July 18, 2007, 07:33 PM
Whenever I purchase a used pistol, this is one of the few things I change out whether it is shooting nicely or not....Very cheap & easy fix....:)
With having so many guns and routinely rotating each on range visits, I don't worry about rd count....

CWL
July 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
Here's Wolff Gun Springs suggestion on their FAQ page:
http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/FAQ.htm#1

4. How often should I change my springs?

Wolff Gunsprings are made with the highest grade materials and workmanship. Most Wolff [recoil] springs will remain stable for many thousands of rounds. The performance of your gun is the best indicator of when a spring needs to be replaced. Factors such as increasing ejection distance, improper ejection and/or breaching, lighter hammer indents on primers, misfires, poor cartridge feeding from magazines, frequent jams, stove pipes and other malfunctions are all possible indications of fatigued springs or improper springs. Springs that are subject to higher stress applications such as magazine springs, striker springs and recoil springs will require more frequent replacement than other less stressed springs. Most Wolff recoil springs should be capable of 3000-5000 rounds minimum before changing is required. Some recoil springs in compact pistols, especially where dual springs are replaced by a single spring may require changing after 750 - 1500 rounds. Changes in your firearm's performance are one of the best indicators that a change is needed.

Walt Sherrill
July 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
Some shooters get MUCH more than 3-5000 rounds out of a recoil spring, depending on how heavy they are, the loads being fired, the size of the gun, etc. 3,000 - 5,000 is probably a reasonable yardstick, but its only a "yardstick."

(Angus Hobdell, a gunsmith and professional shooter, and member of the CZ pistol team says he has a couple of CZs that are now up to about 40,000 rounds with the factory spring....)

The easiest thing to notice is if the spent cases start sailing into the next county, its clearly time.

For compact and sub-compacts, the springs probably need to be changed more frequently. The Wolff FAQ talks about this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Springs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!