Noob question: Whats an Idiot mark?

PDA

boredelmo
July 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
Seen it mentioned alot.

What exactly is it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Noob question: Whats an Idiot mark?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JackW
July 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
It's the little semi-circle scratch on a 1911 type gun. Caused by trying to get the slide stop back in during re-assembly.

It's a little tricky until you get the feel for it

Rustynuts
July 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
Could be a couple things I guess. Cut on thumb/web of strong hand by gripping too high and getting cut by the slide. Same thing by wrapping weak thumb over top of strong hand.

Or I think the real one - forgetting to lower the takedown lever and scratching the crap out of the slide.

TX1911fan
July 18, 2007, 08:32 PM
Here's mine. Very first 1911. I haven't done it since, but doing it twice in one day qualifies me as a double idiot.

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4278/idiotmarkdr2.jpg

.cheese.
July 18, 2007, 08:34 PM
Prezactly.

I refuse to use that term though. It's impolite. People make mistakes.

While I don't own a 1911, I made a similar mistake on a Kahr. It was my first semi-auto pistol.

testar77
July 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
I was going to say that, I'm sure some of us could post some pictures of the exact definition........ but it looks like someone beat me to it :D

cpaspr
July 18, 2007, 08:46 PM
Thank you. Both to those who answered and to boredelmo for asking outright exactly what it is. It's what I always kinda figured it was when people referred to it, but since I don't have any 1911s, I wasn't really sure. And it's really kinda rude to ask your friends who have 1911s if any of theirs have "idiot marks". Kinda impugns their intelligence (even if they weren't the one who put the mark there).

orionengnr
July 18, 2007, 09:06 PM
If any of my 1911s have idiot marks that I did not put there, why should I take offense at that?

If any of my 1911s have idiot marks that I did put there, how could I take offense at that?

I generally do not buy new guns, so any marks that exist pre-purchase...oh well, they just add character (and leverage for a better purchase price. It's a shooter, anyway...)

If I add one more...oh well, just some more character. :)

BTW:

What exactly is it.

Is that a question? Sure looks like one. :rolleyes:

If so, there is a punctuation symbol known as a "question mark" that typically follows an interrogative.

It looks like this:

?

Please feel free to use it....

boredelmo
July 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
Why do you care so much about punctuation.

It looks like this:

?

Please feel free to use it....
and i wasnt sure if you were referring to the bold function or the question mark with your example. so i chose the one i thought fit.

And thanks for the answers guys.

fast eddie
July 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
It's the little semi-circle scratch on a 1911 type gun. Caused by trying to get the slide stop back in during re-assembly.I resemble that remark.:o

VARifleman
July 18, 2007, 09:37 PM
TX1911fan got it right, although most of the time it's on the frame just below the end of the slide stop rather than on the slide. It takes a special person to scratch the slide while doing that. :neener:

oneshooter
July 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
What about the semi curcular mark (scar) above the eye. Caused by being too close to the scope when the trigger is pulled?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Oldnamvet
July 18, 2007, 10:04 PM
What about the semi curcular mark (scar) above the eye. Caused by being too close to the scope when the trigger is pulled?

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

That is the "Weatherby eyebrow.":evil:

armed85
July 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
In addition to the idiot mark don't forget about the knot on one's forehead after the recoil spring plug slips off your thumb and is sent forth at high speed.

I broke a light fixture on my ceiling fan doing that ha ha :D Luckily no knots on my forehead though.

Wear safety glasses!

cloudcroft
July 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
orionengnr,

All such marks are ALWAYS done by the PREVIOUS owner, NEVER by any current owner. ;)

-- John D.

Geronimo45
July 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
Wear safety glasses!
Absolutely. Barely missed getting a firing pin shot through my eye, courtesy of a 1911. There's a tad of sheetrock on the spring plug from when I launched the thing into the ceiling by accident.

ADKWOODSMAN
July 18, 2007, 10:28 PM

In our neck of the woods, we call it the order of the half moon!!

Kevin108
July 18, 2007, 10:41 PM
The guy that got me into 1911s put the idiot mark on mine when he was showing me how to field strip it. If I ever get another one, I'm going to go ahead and put it there myself.

daysleeprx
July 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
Consider it a rite of passage to 1911 ownership. ;)

fletcher
July 18, 2007, 11:25 PM
Had no clue what this was either. Put one of those (a very light one) on my 1911 the first time I took it apart. However, I just sold it to my dad, so now he has to deal with it ;):D

Calling it an idiot mark seems like a bit much, though. Of the firearms I've owned, I rate the 1911 as the biggest hassle to disassemble.

In addition to the idiot mark don't forget about the knot on one's forehead after the recoil spring plug slips off your thumb and is sent forth at high speed.

Almost got one of those one time, too (first time I ever took apart a 1911 - for a friend) http://www.thewolfweb.com/images/crack.gif

Geronimo45
July 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
Of the firearms I've owned, I rate the 1911 as the biggest hassle to disassemble.
Ever try to disassemble a revolver? Interesting thing about those older guns was that they had no disassembly levers of any kind. All that stuff was hidden away - like the Baby Browning, PPK - not immediately evident how you're supposed to take 'em apart. Kind of clever.

FieroCDSP
July 18, 2007, 11:42 PM
In our neck of the woods, we call it the order of the half moon

I always thought that was the name of the mark you get from absorbing the recoil on a Ruger Redhawk straight back and up, slamming the hammer above your eye, instead of up and to the side. Maybe that's the Crescent Moon... hmm...

In the idiot mark range, I let the guide rod from my P22 slip when i was compressing it without the provided tool, and chipped the lens of my glasses. $400 bucks worth of glasses later, I use the tool and safety glasses.

AndyC
July 19, 2007, 09:51 AM
In South Africa, you're said to have earned your "Half Moon Badge" if you collected a scope in your eye - named after the shape of the wound ;)

fletcher
July 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
Ever try to disassemble a revolver?

Yeah, taken the GP100 apart a few times. It's got a lot of little stuff, but it's not particularly difficult to get stuff in and out without damaging it. Although, the first time, a little steel ball shot out and I spent a few minutes trying to find it :p

foghornl
July 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
Both of my 1911's wear the mark....

Hawk
July 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
No single stack 1911 should be without one. The absence of the arched mark reminds me of SAAs with wire ties around the hammer. It may well indicate one more competent than I at reassembly but it's just so fastidious.

I haven't been able to get the mark into a 2011 as there's insufficient area to get a decent gouge going.

Catalina
July 19, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's a term crusty old curmudgeons use to show how crusty, old & curmudgeonly they are. :evil:

Never admit it's from deficient design. :neener:

Just kidding. I own a few 1911's. The only one w/o the scratch is still in the package.

1KPerDay
July 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/f3c9ac64.jpg

If you look reeeeally close you can see my idiot mark below the slide release. :rolleyes::(

Mad Magyar
July 19, 2007, 03:27 PM
NEVER by any current owner

"I cross my heart, hope to die, that I ......."::D

http://i11.tinypic.com/4uos4tl.jpg

gc70
July 19, 2007, 03:42 PM
It is just a little reminder to pay attention when putting a 1911 back together.

jaydubya
July 19, 2007, 06:59 PM
I got my own version of an idiot mark in 1967 off the coast of South Vietnam. I was standing on the port wing of USS Canberra's bridge, attempting to take a picture with my SLR camera of her eight-inch guns firing maybe ten yards forward of me. That was some shiner!
Cordially, Jack

michiganfan
July 19, 2007, 07:30 PM
its the scratch on my springfield GI thats the mark and I am the idiot

1911 guy
July 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
The first 1911 I owned, back in the eighties, got the mark shortly after I got it. I haven't marked another. Yet.

AndyC
July 20, 2007, 08:15 PM
It's a term crusty old curmudgeons use to show how crusty, old & curmudgeonly they are :evil:
I think that's the most accurate description so far :D

glassman
July 20, 2007, 09:11 PM
I was pre warned about the slidestop mark and almost did it anyway. Even when you're real careful, it just ain't that hard to do.

Rod B
July 20, 2007, 10:28 PM
I prefer the term " a character mark" & yes I am the character who did it.:o

Seven For Sure
July 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
Go's for the slide stop pin on GLOCKS too. Some people try to hammer them out with God knows what. All you need to do is wiggle the slide stop a bit and use a punch to push it through.

jad0110
July 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
If you want to cover up the fact that you are an idiot :D ;), you can always cheat and put electrical tape on the frame just below the slide stop hole in the frame. A little trick I learned here on THR, which I put to good use the first few times I reassembled my 1911 until I got the hang of it.

tinygnat219
July 22, 2007, 07:41 PM
It's the bruise over the right eye of a shooter who just put a new scope on a rifle and didn't put any distance between his face and the scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Noob question: Whats an Idiot mark?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!