Reassembly of Remington Model 550-1

PDA

marksman13
July 19, 2007, 01:35 AM
Guys I really need some help getting this rifle back together. The safety lever was really loose and I decided to try to tighten it. When it wouldn't tighten satisfactorily I decided to go ahead and take it off and see if the threads were stripped or cross threaded. Now I can't the thing back together. Can anybody point me in the direction of a guide to reassembling this gun? There is a piece that the safety screw goes through inside of the rifle and I can't get it to realign and stay in place while I reattach the safety. Does that make sense? I can provide pictures if needed. Thanks in advance guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reassembly of Remington Model 550-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunfixr
July 19, 2007, 02:19 AM
Yeah, there's the piece on the outside (the actuation lever) and the piece on the inside (the safety itself), the screw goes through the lever, screws into the safety body, and the other end of the screw goes through the other side of the receiver to align it on that side. If you haven't already, you need to loosen the small screw at the bottom of the receiver, which allows you to unscrew the plug in the back, that big round thing sticking out the back of the receiver. This hold in the recoil spring, so be careful. Also it holds the striker spring, so release it first (you'll have to dry-fire it). Go ahead and remove that small screw at the bottom and take out it and the L-plate that you can see below the receiver plug. Now you can look inside and see the safety body that you ae trying to get that screw into. There is a spring loaded plunger in the trigger that bears on the safety body to make it stay in position. This has probably come out of position and that's why you can't get it together. Look closely before moving anything and see where everything is. You can reach inside and push the plunger down into its hole and slide the safety body into position, using forceps or needle-nose pliers. The step on the end of the safety body goes into the hole in the receiver and is where the lever sits. While holding this in position (you don't need to hold the plunger anymore, the body will do that), put the screw into and through, using the pliers to move the body around until the screw will go into the hole on the other side of the receiver. Make sure the safety lever is on the screw before doing this. The lever may have to be jiggled around a little to get it onto the end of the safety body, then the screw can be tightened. Using the pliers, hold the L-plate in place at the rear of the receiver and start its screw from the bottom, as it came out. Put the recoil spring plug back in, tighten by hand, then tighten the L-plate screw. This locks the recoil spring plug, but be careful not to strip it out. Put the rifle back into the stock and enjoy.

marksman13
July 19, 2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks Gunfixr, it is the plunger that is giving me fits. I removed the spring but the screw that holds the L plate is pretty boogered up and I was going to try to avoid removing it. Guess that plan is a no go now. looking at the plunger, does the rounded end point towards the rear? Once again, may not make sense without a picture.

Gunfixr
July 19, 2007, 02:54 AM
The rounded end points up, riding against the little lobes on the safety body. If you can get that together without removing the L-plate, you're a better man than I. I don't really need a picture if you don't want. I have one of those that I've owned now for over 20 yrs., and worked on a couple at the shop.

marksman13
July 19, 2007, 04:12 AM
Seems like a good shooter so far. It has a great deal of sentimental value. It belonged to my uncle who died when he was 16. He and my dad were really close and this rifle is the only thing my dad has left that belonged to his brother. I really want to fix it up for him.

My dad has always wanted to have the wood refinished and the metal reblued. I know alot of people think the wear and tear give it character, but not my dad. The old man likes his guns to be emaculate. I'm going to do the stock refinishing myself and let my local smith do the blueing work. Thanks for all your help so far.

Gunfixr
July 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
Mine was in the family also. It had been sitting in the same closet for over 20 years that the umbrellas and such went in, so one side of the stock was wasted. I refinished it my self, and it looks nice now. The metal was fine, so I left it alone. No problem, they are kinda tricky to get together.

Threejs
July 19, 2007, 07:48 PM
I just got through rebuilding one of these last night. The previous owner has removed the sear spring screw, and didn't know how to put it back together, and ended up cross threading the screw and messing up the spring. I will take it to the range with me next time I go, and make sure that everything is right, now that the sear is held back by the sear screw again.

marksman13
July 20, 2007, 02:56 AM
All better now. Thanks for the help, Gunfixr. Only problem I have is that the safety lever seems to move back and forth rather freely. I may have to bend the lever a little because the screw is as tight as it will get. It's not moving back and forth on it's own or anything, but I would prefer it to have a little more tension. How do these rifles hold up with a scope? I have a Nylon 66 that won't hold a zero for anything in the world. Is the 550 as bad?

Gunfixr
July 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
The Nylon 66 has a shet metal cover screwed to the plastic receiver housing, that's why it won't hold zero. It was designed strictly as a plinker. If your 550 is like mine, you'll have to drill and tap it, but the barrel is screwed firmly into the receiver, so it should be good to go. The plunger inside should keep the safety firmly in either position. The only slop I can think of would be where the lever fits on the end of the body; that perhaps the hole in the lever or the tab on the body is worn from the screw being loose for a long time.

Threejs, I've seen those crossthreaded also. It's real easy as the threads are real fine and you're trying to keep the sear hooked and keep the spring under control while starting it into the receiver.

Gunfixr
July 20, 2007, 03:07 AM
Wanted to delete double tap, but couldn't

marksman13
July 20, 2007, 11:53 AM
Gunfixr, this rifle has grooves to allow for a scope mount. I believe that drilling and tapping would be much more sturdy, but I don't make that kind of alteration to the gun. Thanks for all your help so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reassembly of Remington Model 550-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!