Your favorite assault rifle?

PDA

absolut_beethoven
July 19, 2007, 05:05 AM
Which one do you like the best and why?

I must say that I'm partial to the bullpup designs because of size and weight considerations. Although I have shot a few assault rifles on full auto, I've never had the opportunity to shoot a bullpup, auto or otherwise.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your favorite assault rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
absolut_beethoven
July 19, 2007, 05:23 AM
I voted for the Steyr Aug.

While the Tavor TAR-21 and the FN F2000 both appeal to me, neither has been around as long as the Steyr and have yet to prove their long term reliability.

Heck, if I had the money I would buy all 5 of them and then discard (read sell) the ones that prove less than 100% reliable!

Andrewsky
July 19, 2007, 05:30 AM
I voted for the G36. Bullpups just seem akward to me.

I have no experience firing any of them.

Kaylee
July 19, 2007, 06:36 AM
Can we have a show of hands of everyone who's actually used all of these? :)

sacp81170a
July 19, 2007, 06:56 AM
I didn't vote because the M-16 ain't a choice. I've never handled any of the above listed weapons. This poll isn't gonna get a whole lot of responses. Why did you even ask the question if you weren't gonna include the top two in the world? :rolleyes:

absolut_beethoven
July 19, 2007, 07:20 AM
The reason I chose not include the AK47 and the M16 is because the current trend seems to favor smaller, lighter rifles. These seem to favor urban warfare conditions quite well.

Besides, most of us on the forum here aren't in, umm... prime physical condition, so weight, size and speed of handling are important physical characteristics to me.

Your mileage may vary.

_N4Z_
July 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
Besides, most of us on the forum here aren't in, umm... prime physical condition

maybe you should commence with a mighty fine PT program to allow you more choices. :neener:

speaking for myself in fairly decent physical condition ( for a 40 year old... ), i choose AK.:D

eliphalet
July 19, 2007, 09:35 AM
Does all firearm owners a disservice to go on about your so called ( a formicated term to eradicate guns from our hands in the first place) " assault " guns. Unless your out to assault folks ( in which case I hope they get you off the streets) your just giving the antigun types verbal fodder to fire at responsible gun owners, hunters such as me included.
Needless I didn't vote

I may own a " defensive" weapon or two but nothing is to "assault" people with EVER!

jklinstein
July 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
No FAL, no vote.

And AK would be second.

iamkris
July 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
Choices are skewed to your favorites without consideration of the wide range available...no vote.

benEzra
July 19, 2007, 10:00 AM
I've never had the opportunity to handle or fire any of the above, but based solely on what I've read, and IMI's penchant for designing reliable and practical firearms, I'd say the Tavor. But the others may be just as good.

Back in the late '80s/early '90s, I REALLY wanted a civilian AUG, but couldn't afford one.

kentucky_smith
July 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
FAL

Onmilo
July 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah.
Only the G36 has seen any real combat use.
Omani, Austrian, and Australian troops use the Steyr AUG but I don't think they actually have shot at anybody with these rifles.
None of these can really be classified as a true "Assault Rifle" yet.

doubleg
Always liked the features and looks of the MTAR. They got alot of their design from the m16.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/tavor-tar.jpg

atblis
None of the Above

115grfmj
The single shot NEF Handi rifle, in 30-06 wasn't one of the choices.

HorseSoldier
July 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
I've played with the G36 and HK 416, no experience with the rest of the list.

Would still prefer a standard M4A1.

AugustusMcCrae
July 19, 2007, 10:16 AM
Can we have a show of hands of everyone who's actually used all of these?

Do videogames count?:D If yes then I vote Steyr Aug. If not then none of the above.

SSN Vet
July 19, 2007, 10:22 AM
I can't vote, because I can't afford anything on your list...

more power to those who can

jem375
July 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
none of the above...:)

Dark_Harvest
July 19, 2007, 10:39 AM
assault rifle, huh? your california is showing.

50 Shooter
July 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
I have to agree with Kaylee, who if any has experience with all?

My vote would be Galil but it wasn't there.:o

Deer Hunter
July 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
No Spencer?

glockman19
July 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
No Ak/ar No Vote.

EricTheBarbarian
July 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
in what video game is this supposed to be our favorite?

Daemon688
July 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
Haha......who actually owns all of these? What percentage of people have been so graced to shoot all of them?

My favorite assault rifle is the AK. In all the flavors, .308, .223, 12 guage, 7.62x39, etc.

Oh, and my favorite video game gun has always been the G36.

absolut_beethoven
July 19, 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks to those who have taken the time to vote.

Those who chose not to because they didn't like my choices, hey, these are my personal favorites (for reasons already mentioned) and I was curious to see how popular they are.

Sure I could have used a different word to describe these, but then again everyone, even those in DC, know exactly what I mean i.e. full auto close quarter battle rifle, or whatever else you want to call it. Hence no single shot 30.06 or any other caliber.

And lastly, hopefully those who have been fortunate enough to shoot any of these will offer some insight to the rest of us.

absolut_beethoven
July 19, 2007, 12:06 PM
I've played with the G36 and HK 416, no experience with the rest of the list.

Would still prefer a standard M4A1.

So HorseSoldier, how about some insight on why you preferred the M4A1. Better handling, accuracy etc?

MIL-DOT
July 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
another vote for the GALIL .:neener:

Medusa
July 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
I've played with G3, Galil AR, Galil SN, FN MAG, M14, G36/AG36. From these I'd take AG36K over others as assault rifle.

From your choice I took the rifle I'd most happily have in my closet - FN F2000 with GL.

If to broaden the selection a bit you may keep your high-end assault rifles and give me Mk.11 Mod.0 (or SASS) and M24 SWS.

Kaylee
July 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
See, here's the point - it's terribly unwise to have a "favorite" anything unless you've actually had a chance to use the darn thing and see how it performs in the real world. This isn't an gamer board - we're not discussing variable values and pixels here.

Case in point - the FN2000. It looks slick and cool as anything in the photos. Yeah, I thought it looked pretty awesome in 2003 or so. Then I finally got the chance to play with one. Aside from that thick, light receiver being awkward as all heck to handle (and covering most of the mag), the innards look like they've come out of a blasted Mr. Coffee. No way I'd ever want to buy one now, even if it does come from a company with a very good reputation for making quality stuff.

So you see, someone can't give you any meaningful opinion on a weapon they've never even touched.

So here's my review -
I've field stripped, examined, and fired a G36. Same for an M4A1.

Handled an AUG and some of the internals, but never fired one or broke it down.

I've never even seen a piston-run AR upper or Tavor in person.

Based on that, I can say I think the G36 is decent, but would prefer an AR platform given my druthers. (for reasons of usable barrel length as part of overall length, ergonomics, magazine profile, and parts/expertise availability in the US).

The AUG sure shoulders comfy, and I'd certainly not turn one down, though I'd want to take more time getting accustomed to how it does its thing. No way I'd pay the premium the few in the states have though. As already mentioned, I've absolutely no interest in an FN2000. Couldn't even begin to tell you about the Tavor, and given my experience with the AR to date the 416 is an answer looking for a question.

But to each their own.

UKarmourer
July 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
Firstly, Onmilo, the Aussies may get a bit put back by your comment, especially those at Camp Eagle in Iraq, but its not widely known so OK

Of the choices there I would say G36, not fired it, but have handled it, and if its as good, or better than the HK53 I used in N.I then I'll take 2!

However I still Love my L85A2 (SA80 to those who dont know it) especially after getting the chance to try the 40mm UGL last week, I would take it over any other for daily use
gotta love it, never fired before, first round went wide, all after that were within 5m of target

CWL
July 19, 2007, 03:21 PM
The reason I chose not include the AK47 and the M16 is because the current trend seems to favor smaller, lighter rifles.

Are you aware that the M16A2 and G36 weigh about the same, and that the M4A1 weighs about 2lbs less? I have no clue about the others but suspect that there is no weight differential at all.

I have personally handled the G36 and AUG (plus a FAMAS) and would prefer the M16/M4 platform. This may be due to familiarity, but that is important when choosing a personal rifle.

Have you ever felt the trigger systems on a bullpup?

I also did not vote.

Cocked & Locked
July 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
Are you serious? I don't know what any of those are. :confused:

So, I guess this is as close as I've got.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6263277/85822737.jpg

SigfanUSAF
July 19, 2007, 06:11 PM
Since your choices, as mentioned before, aren't readily available to 90% of the US population, I'll vote from outside your poll. SHTF, favorite "assault rifle", world invasion militia rifle, zombie attack, blood sucking liberal takeover home defense weapon, whatever, here's what I'm grabbing:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/SigfanUSAF/assaultrifle.jpg
:D

amt341
July 19, 2007, 06:31 PM
I vote AK -when I was in desert storm- we found a bunker full of these- we buried one in the sand along with the magazine - we slapped it together and emptied it- reliability goes a long way with me- too bad the M-16 will jam with a 1/2 piece of pocket lint-

cracked butt
July 19, 2007, 06:38 PM
Who needs assault rifles when you can have a pair of gold plated deagles?

Correia
July 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
And my favorite space ship is like totally the Millenium Falcon!

trbon8r
July 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
too bad the M-16 will jam with a 1/2 piece of pocket lint-

That must be why just about every special ops unit in the free world uses it. :uhoh:

bender
July 19, 2007, 07:19 PM
assault rifle, huh? your california is showing.
Yep. I don't own any, and have never shot one...

then again... I don't use that terminology

10-Ring
July 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
My fave not on the list -- HK 93 :D

hexidismal
July 19, 2007, 08:03 PM
Seeing as very few (if any) members here will have had the opportunity to fire or even handle all (or any) of these firearms, perhaps a better question to avoid all these like responses would have been something along the lines of, "Which do you find the most aesthetically attractive". As is, the question will only continue to receive this basic repeat answer from real-world shooters.
In an attempt to stay on topic though as best is possible.. my favorite wouldn't be a gun on the list, since nothing in .308 is listed. If I had to pick one from the list that I would guess I would most want to use in a combat situation, then it would probably be the very basic HK416.

Risasi
July 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
Another "none of the above" vote here....

GRIZ22
July 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
I didn't vote because the M-16 ain't a choice.

Same here. I've used the M16/M4 since 1968 and I can't say I've had these condemning problems many speak about having. I've used it in Vietnam and in the desert and as long as it was reasonably clean it never failed me.

The only weapon listed I've used is the AUG. I thought they were pretty neat when the agency I worked for got them. However they have a multitude of real problems. Some are:

1. They slam fire if you are not using milspec ammo.
2. Insert the mag and tap as you're accustomed with the bolt back and rounds pop out of the mag jamming your AUG. It's the only weapon I know that does this.
3. The manual tells you you to open up the gas port if it starts jamming. Why does the M16 have this? Because the innards don't get fouled as easy.
4. I've read the Austrailians had reliablity problems with them when their AUGs got wet. Never had any with a M16.
5. The squeeze semi, jerk trigger is useful on the range but guess what you're going to do when you have a close up threat? Jerk the trigger and your first round will be on target and the rest off someplace else. Ours were modified so the safety was a 3 position safe, auto in the middle, and semi when pushed all the way to the left. If you have it on safe and a threat appears you'll push it past the semi to auto and have the same consequences mentioned.

Sexy looking weapon but not my cup of tea.

We went to M16s and M4s. Using one for nearly 40 years makes me pretty familiar with them.

I did use the G36 when palying "Ranger Elite". Does that count?

Sexy looking weapon but not my cup of tea.

The Deer Hunter
July 19, 2007, 09:40 PM
I think the Mosin Nagant is the true winner. Powerful, simple, effective.

absolut_beethoven
July 20, 2007, 12:06 AM
Case in point - the FN2000. It looks slick and cool as anything in the photos. Yeah, I thought it looked pretty awesome in 2003 or so. Then I finally got the chance to play with one. Aside from that thick, light receiver being awkward as all heck to handle (and covering most of the mag), the innards look like they've come out of a blasted Mr. Coffee. No way I'd ever want to buy one now, even if it does come from a company with a very good reputation for making quality stuff.

Thanks Kaylee, that's exactly the type of info that I was looking for.

As I implied before, I specifically didn't ask people to comment only on those that they had fired. I know how hard these are to come by over here, hence my poll to try and glean a little more info.

Sometimes handling the rifle is sufficient, or even just hearing the opinion of someone you trust who has. Even the mags with their biased opinions don't have too much info on these.

No offense to those who chose not to vote, or didn't like my choices. These rifles interest me and hopefully others will find the comments as useful as I have.

Hopefully some of these will make it into the army's new tests, and seeing as we're paying for those tests, we all stand to learn from them :)

absolut_beethoven
July 20, 2007, 12:13 AM
Have you ever felt the trigger systems on a bullpup?

That's one of the main reasons that I posted this poll CWL.

While I have been fortunate enough to to fire quite a few different rifles on full auto, thanks to my stint in the South African Army, I have never even handled a bullpup let alone fired one, and I confess that both the concept and the savings in weight and size appeal to me.

As Kaylee already mentioned, I might pick one up and hate the feel of it, just like happened to me when I first handled the Glock - small hands and Glocks just don't make good music IMHO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your favorite assault rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!