Hornady LNL AP vs Hornady Progressive?

PDA

blancoman
July 19, 2007, 10:10 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two. Or is there a difference. i have a chance to purchase a used progressive for about 150 and I noticed that Midway has the AP new for 365. Am I better off spending the bucks for the AP or would I even notice the difference between the two? Thanks for response.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL AP vs Hornady Progressive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LexDiamonds
July 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
You are most likely looking at the same thing. Hornadys only progressive press right now is the LocknLoad. The model that predated this was called the projector. They look very similiar but the projector uses a outdated shellplate holder and may also have a slightly different priming system. I have a LocknLoad and love it... highly recomended.

The Law
July 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
The LNL AP at that price is probably a good deal if it's in good condition. I'd pick it up. :cool:

captain54
July 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
howold is the one that you are looking at? The one before the LnL PA was a honrady Projector (I believe.) I do not know what the idfferences are, but if it is the newer LnL, 150 is a good deal if it is in good condition.

Canuck-IL
July 19, 2007, 01:06 PM
The original L'n'Ls had a funky primer system - Hornady can give you the serial number cut-off for that design. They'll also retrofit the old ones w the current system...that was free when first introduced, not sure about now.

Good machines, w the newer primer feed. The very latest (since Feb or so this year) also use powder through case expansion and it appears that doesn't have all the bugs worked out ... at least some calibers are having trouble with reliable belling and full powder dispenser rotation (threads around THR). Mine is the older L'n'L model with separate belling and drop - love it!! Much prefer it to Blue.
/Bryan

Otto
July 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
I believe the LNL new design started at serial #7000

Master Blaster
July 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
One thing to consider is that if you buy the new press for $350 you get $200 worth of free hornady jacketed bullets as a bonus. This means that for the same price you remove all doubt about the warranty and the compatability of the machine you are buying.

PsychoKnight
July 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
Unlike like Dillon, Hornady will not upgrade/warranty a 2nd hand press for free. If the serial # is below 7000, you will want to upgrade the subplate & primer assembly. These parts are available at Midway and others, as well as direct from Hornady. As a second owner, you get zero warranty benefits, but they will be fair if you need to have the press sent in for paid reconditioning, and will provide some sort of warranty thereafter. Find out the serial # first, then call Hornady about warranty specifics on 2nd hand presses.

Master Blaster
July 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.hornady.com/get_loaded.php

Your going to need at least 1000 high quality Jacketed bullets of some type, so thats going to cost you $200 if your reloading .44 mag or .45 acp hollow points.

So why take a chance on a used older model, that you could need to upgrade loosing the price difference right there. I bought my press 7 months ago for $325 from Grafs, that included the shipping. I recieved 1000 .45 caliber 230 grain XTP bullets worth $210 with shipping from Midway for a $14.95 handling fee.

So I figure the press cost $125.

Now it will cost you $365 from graf's with shipping.

BigJakeJ1s
July 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
Beware, those bullets are only specific ones, in specific calibers. If their not what you want, you cannot substitute.

I'd make sure it was an AP and not a projector before I bought it used.

Andy

leper65
July 20, 2007, 08:14 AM
Natchezss.com has the Hornady AP for $329 on sale, but they are out of stock. Not sure if you can back order or not....

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=PC&category=475&subCategory=475&catLevel=2&prodID=PC095100

blancoman
July 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys, I will look at the serial number this weekend but you know, I looked right at the ad telling me about the free bullets and it did not register until you guys brought it to my attention. Why would I buy a used press when I know that I shoot about three or 4 hundred rounds a month. Not a matter of will I use the bullets but how long would they last. I guess now the only decision is GRAF, MIDWAY, SINCLAIR, or NATCHEZ. Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL AP vs Hornady Progressive?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!