Recently got a 7mm magnum rifle

PDA

envonge
July 19, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Winchester 7mm magnum rifle and before I shoot it I wanted to find out if it's going to be very loud and what kind of recoil it's going to have.

Let me know if anyone has experience with this caliber.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Recently got a 7mm magnum rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glockman19
July 19, 2007, 03:03 PM
YES it will be loud and have a good kick.

martinc64
July 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
It is louder and recoils more than a 30-06. If you have not fired a 30-06 that won't be very helpful.

Those are hard questions to answer in any meaningful way though.

It is an excellent calibre though. You made a sensible choice if you hunt in the lower 48 for sure.

I personally prefer the 30-06 but that's all I needed.

bearmgc
July 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
Get a Decelerator or Kickeez recoil pad put on it. Will tame the recoil considerablely. Loud, yes. I wear ear protection, the kind that enhances hearing, but cuts off the muzzle noise. I love the 7mag, but have only used it for elk hunting, what I bought it for.

christcorp
July 19, 2007, 05:40 PM
Personally, I think the 7mm rem mag is about the most versatile all around rifle caliber there is. Many experts agree. The ammo is even made in Europe, africa, and australia. There isn't 1 think in all of North America that can't be taken down with it. And as far as long distance goes, I have easily shot antelope between 300-400 yards. It is a mega beefed up 270. Actually 284. It's awesome. Factory loads are 140-175 grain. Hand loads all the way down to 100 grain and up to almost 200 grain. If I could only own 1 long rifle, this would be it. It can do so much more than a 308/30-06/300 mag can. It's the one rifle, with the right ammo, is NEVER too big or NEVER too small. Later... Mike....

PercyShelley
July 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
In addition to the rather emphatic recoil and noise, you'll probably notice that the barrel heats up quickly as well. That cartridge is pushing a lot of gas and lead down that barrel very, very quickly. If you have a thinner profile barrel, you might want to shoot slowly while sighting it in. Your shoulder will thank you as well.

7mm mag is a fantastic round. In brush it would be a little silly, but for reaching out and touching quarry up to an including large moose, it's hard to beat.

dakotasin
July 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
aww, geeze... yes, it will kick some, but it isn't that bad. it surely won't kick the ears off your head.

it is quite loud - as is any centerfire rifle bigger than 22-250.

i have tons of experience w/ this caliber. i've used a half dozen or so different ones to whack everything from prairie dogs to mule deer. prairie dogs and cats are pretty fun w/ a 7 mag... my brother, who is most certainly not a recoil junkie, has tried to steal one of my 7's quite a few times. he has always been very impressed w/ the way it knocks down deer - and i have always been impressed w/ his ability to use the 7...

anyway, good rifle, great chambering. good luck.

oh... if you aren't handloading, use hornady factory loads, and if your primary purpose is deer/elk, use the 162 grain loads. anything smaller, and 139's are fine (love the thump 162's have on deer!).

deadkenny
July 19, 2007, 11:43 PM
I recently purchased a Winchester 7mm magnum rifle...

I'm not quite clear on which cartridge you're referring to here (although I seem to be the only one). Is this a 7mm WSM? I.e. by 'a Wincheste 7mm magnum' do you mean it's the WSM? Or is it a Winchester rifle (e.g. Model 70) chambered in a 7mm magnum cartridge, such as 7mm Remington Magnum?

Alphazulu6
July 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
I personally do not care for the 7mm as its kick seemed harder than my .300 Win Mag. :( They just seem to be more bang and buck than I like to put up. But they have alot of knock down power and are pretty much the ultimate N. American rifle.

Just be sure to take extra care in shouldering it until you get the natural feel of where it needs to sit :D

Ndenway
July 20, 2007, 02:11 AM
I've got a 26" barreled m70 7mag with factory sythetic stock that weights approx 8 1/2lbs scoped, with 175gr corelokts it's kick feels to me about like a 06' or 308 in the same weight rifle with 180gr bullets,

sound is approx the same with earplugs in.

TimboKhan
July 20, 2007, 06:01 AM
I personally do not care for the 7mm as its kick seemed harder than my .300 Win Mag.

lol... Here is a case of why recoil is sort of a subjective thing. I feel exactly the opposite as you!

But they have alot of knock down power and are pretty much the ultimate N. American rifle

Without igniting a cartridge war, I happen to agree with you in that I think the 7mmRemMag is enough gun for anything in North America, but it is worth mentioning that David Petzal called it the most over-rated cartridge in it's class in the last issue of OL. I am going off memory here, but as I recall his point was basically that the 7mmRemMag doesn't do anything a .270 won't do just as well.

Essex County
July 20, 2007, 03:15 PM
I can best describe it as having just a tad more recoil than an '06 of similar weight. And noiser. I sold mine years ago and added anoyher .270 to the safe........Essex

deadkenny
July 22, 2007, 03:04 PM
I guess I'm the only one who (still) doesn't know which cartridge this guy's new rifle is chambered in. I'm thinking there's a pretty huge difference between a 7mm WSM and a 7mm STW.

martinc64
July 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
I guess I'm the only one who (still) doesn't know which cartridge this guy's new rifle is chambered in. I'm thinking there's a pretty huge difference between a 7mm WSM and a 7mm STW.

Actually, until you pointed it out I had not thought about it. He does say winchester 7mm magnum. I just saw the 7mm magnum part which I typically think of as the 7mm Remington Magnum. 7mm WSM is usally not written as 7mm Magnum.

And all that ultra mag stuff makes no sense to me at all.

Dane
July 22, 2007, 07:35 PM
i have a browning BAR 7mm mag and i love it....get a good scope and it will suprise you but... i also shoot a 300 wby mag and the 7 mag recoil doesnt seem like much to me cause i shoot the 300 mag so much

deadkenny
July 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
Actually, until you pointed it out I had not thought about it. He does say winchester 7mm magnum. I just saw the 7mm magnum part which I typically think of as the 7mm Remington Magnum. 7mm WSM is usally not written as 7mm Magnum.

And all that ultra mag stuff makes no sense to me at all.

I would also 'normally' assume that someone means a Remington Magnum when they say 7mm Mag. However, as you've noted, he also said 'Winchester' in such a way that I'm not clear if he's referring to the rifle manufacturer or the fact that it's a WSM cartridge.

In fact, I don't have much use for all 'ultra mag' stuff myself. Even the 'old' (by comparison) 7mm Rem Mag seems 'excessive' to me. I'm more of a 7x57 kinda guy. Still, it's difficult to comment accurately without knowing exactly which cartridge is being asked about. The rifle itself also factors into the equation (literally) when it comes to recoil.

quicktime
July 23, 2007, 04:49 AM
All of that "ultra mag" stuff you guys are afraid of is science and engineering. The ultramag is more efficient and can be put in a short action which is inherently more accurate. I personally am not a big fan of the 7mm Rem mag as in my opinion the recoil is much sharper than that of the short magnums. Just my opinion but I also don't beleive in 8 pound guns either. My lightest is 12 pounds and has two mercury recoil reducers in the butt and a muzzle break and that is on a 22-250. I don't care what anyone says recoil is a factor in how you shoot. Plus it is really cool to pull the trigger the rifle never moves and you can watch the prairie dogs vaporize.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recently got a 7mm magnum rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!