Lee bullet moulds, sizing required?

PDA

fatelk
July 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
I've been using Lee bullet moulds for years. Until recently I never needed to size any bullets, just tumble-lube and load.

I got a six-cavity .357 mould a while back, cast 1,000 bullets, tumble lubed and loaded a couple boxes only to realize they would not chamber. I feel like an idiot for not measuring them before-hand. They miked .360 but slightly out of round. Is this normal?

I was contemplating buying another six-cavity mould in .40, but if they cast oversize, out-of-round bullets I'm having second thoughts. I have an old lube-sizer someone gave me but I hate to buy another die if I don't have to.

On a slightly related topic, I think I may have reached a point where reloading is no longer economically feasible for me. Overtime is readily available at work, and I turn it down regularly. I figure for the same time it takes to cast a thousand bullets, I can work OT and buy two thousand. Two little kids at home make me paranoid about lead exposure, plus I want to spend more time with my family instead of working or reloading. If I shot more, I could justify a progressive press. I do enjoy reloading, messing with obscure calibers, generally fiddling with old junk to make it work, but I do feel like I'm nearing a time where I might just pack the loading gear in the attic for a while and focus on raising a family.

It's hard to enjoy shooting when it costs more than a nickel a round or so, but when I think about how much those reloads really cost in time as well as money, it makes me rethink the logic of reloading at this point in my life.

You know, never mind about the moulds. I think I just talked myself out of them. I'll go ahead and post this thread anyhow just for kicks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee bullet moulds, sizing required?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
savage24
July 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
Fatelk,
You sound like a man who has his priorities straight. Those young'ns will be grown before you know it. If you do decide to pack the reloading stuff away, just be sure to oil everything up good so it won't rust in storage. Maybe oil the dies and store them in an ammo can with some dessiccant?

I, on the other hand, am a 42 year old bachelor working toward full curmudgeon status; I NEED reloading to give me something to do and keep me away from chasing loose women, watching reality television, and other unhealthy behavior.:D

GooseGestapo
July 20, 2007, 09:55 AM
Re-read your original post again!

Then think about what are you going to do to "get away" from "them" when you are about to lose your sanity ??????

My reloading room/shop/building (as time progressed and the "lodge" grew), was generally "off limits" to the rest of the family.............

It was my "escape" when I couldn't take the "Scooby Dooby Doo-Doo" on the tv that the kids "HAD" to watch......

One day not too long ago, my oldest daughter asked me why I spent so much time watching the Military Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel,(ect) instead of - bullet casting, reloading, going to the range to shoot, ect...... like I used too before I retired.

I showed her the bills for the car'S, tuition, speeding ticket'S, DR bills, and explained to her that even though my income had steadily increased, "THEIR" expenses had risen "DRAMATTICALLY".............

Thank GOD they've finished college, moved out, and have their own lifes (sort of) now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I once again have the excess money to re-engage in my theraputic excercise of loading ammo. (And of course going out and shooting it !!!)

Compared to the cost of a "counselor" or "Shrink", reloading is much cheaper !!! Not to mention the cost savings over factory ammo/bullets which at the prices you mentioned are "GARBAGE".

Don't get me wrong. I'm as much of a "family guy" as anyone. But, you must have "quality time" with yourself if you are going to endure the YEARS it takes to do the "family thing".

PsychoKnight
July 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
I gave up casting for the same reason, a one and a two-year old, both with the cutest smile and laughter I've ever seen or heard. When time is more precious, gotta make concessions for balance. I gave away the casting stuff and bought a more reliable progressive so I can minimize loading time.

I try to provide a variety of activities so I can have some enjoyment too. Lately, I've been packing them into the double seating bike trailer and going to the big nearby park, or converting it into a jogger and getting some real exercise at a nature trail. I take them for beer and pizza afterwards to unwind - they get french fries & chicken nuggets, the beer and pizza is for me; and the wife loves it that I can relieve her for some mall time w/ her girlfriends, etc. Today's gonna be hot, so before I leave I'm setting up a sprinkler-obstacle course in the backyard for them to push & kick a ball through, coached by mommy while I go launch a couple hundred rounds of reloaded big bore Glock Action Pistol.

armoredman
July 20, 2007, 12:15 PM
That's OK guys, if you don't want that gear anymore, i am just about to start casting for 38 and 9mm....

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee bullet moulds, sizing required?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!