Lookin' forward to teal season.

PDA

MCgunner
July 19, 2007, 07:32 PM
Could be a banner year for ducks. :D

http://www.waterfowloutfittersunlimited.com/News_2007/Teal-only_season-to_be_Sept_15-30-7-12-07.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Lookin' forward to teal season." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
~z
July 20, 2007, 02:28 PM
Looking forward to hunting with you down there.
~z

Grayrock
July 23, 2007, 01:32 AM
I MAY get a chance to hunt teal this year, if all works out right. Give me some pointers- I have never shot anything bigger than a dove w/ my shotgun (that I'll admit to :evil:) What loads? What gun? Steel? Bismuth? Hevi-Shot? Chokes? Do you call them in? Use decoys? Morning or afternoon? How do you clean them?

MCgunner
July 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
Morning hunts, I use deeks and a call to quell their anxieties. I hunt public areas down here, salt marsh mainly. Shotgun, good 12 gauge. Steel shot is almost affordable (forget hevi shot, bismuth, etc unless you're very wealthy and just don't care about what four little birds cost). I shoot 2 3/4" or 3" steel 4s usually on teal. My shotguns are a Mossberg 500 pump and an old Winchester M1400 autoloader. I like the autoloader for teal and will be shooting the Winchester Xpert high velocity 1550 fps stuff out of it. Another good high speed load is Kent Fasteel. Choke, you really should pattern the gun, but normally steel will pattern tightest out of a modified choke. I'll often use IC on teal, though and switch to mod late season when the birds are more decoy shy. Teal are often coming in low and fast just after shooting time and a more open choke is nice on these birds.

I've got a set of 12 carrylight blow up deeks that haul light and work great in the marsh. 12 deeks is all you'll ever need on a pothole. Those huge spreads are for open water bays and such. A call isn't absolutely necessary and, frankly, if you can't call, you're better off without one. Maybe get a teal/pintail whistle, easier to use. I scared WAY more ducks than I called for several years when I was learning despite sitting with the call and listening to an instructor on an 8 track tape (yep, twas a while back:D) before I started to learn the way ducks talk, mallard hens, anyway. The other kids were listening to Steppenwolf, I was listening to a duck call tape. Got a real rep as a goof ball in the dorms, too, LOL. I learned eventually, but it's not really an over-night thing. You kinda have to understand the ducks and how they act and chatter and it takes more'n one hunt to figure it out.

Oh, there's a technique to setting your deeks, too. Always hunt with the wind at your back. The ducks flair into the wind to set their wings. And, don't just pile 'em out in front of you. Set 'em about half to the left of you, half to the right and leave a hole for 'em to set into in the middle.

~z
July 23, 2007, 04:31 PM
Good to see my guide has done his homework
~z

MCgunner
July 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
I just hope the rain lets up and the river stays down. If the Guadelupe floods the delta, they'll close it to hunting. I don't wanna miss this season and my boat ain't ready for prime time to get to any other areas around here I know about. But, it's a couple months away, time for the river to go down.

MCgunner
July 24, 2007, 09:41 PM
Wow, this ain't lookin' too good. It's STILL raining, too, and up around New Braunsfels. If the rain'll slack sometime this month, we'll probably be okay. If it keeps this wet for another month, I don't know. This shows the Guadelupe just up stream of the Delta in Bloomington, 6 feet over flood stage. If it's that high at the Delta, it'll be flooding hog bayou and the whole mess. I'm not sure how high it's gotta be to be over the road, but it's gone over the highway before. Might have to hunt Mad Island. I've been there once and it was pretty decent, but if they close Guadelupe, that will probably add some pressure to Mad Island. I'll go sleep in the van at the gate if I have to, to get a teal hunt or three in.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?dd_cd=01_00065&format=img&site_no=08177520&set_logscale_y=0&begin_date=20070623

Lennyjoe
July 25, 2007, 10:15 PM
We see teal around here from time to time in the pothole tanks. I haven't had teal on the table in too many years. Used to hunt them in Georgia and Ohio as a kid. Oh the memories.

Enjoy the hunt.

MCgunner
July 26, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I'm getting stoked for teal AND dove. Not much longer now! However, the Guadelupe ain't looking too good. We're really getting dumped on now, all the way up the river north of San Antonio. And, it's predicted to be worse tomorrow and Saturday. River's already 7 feet out at Bloomington, now. SO, it's starting to look like Mad Island. It's good hunting over there, just rarely wanna drive that far when I don't have to. No rivers to flood it, though. Maps and such are in your type two public hunts book, Z. It's out of College Port down a bunch of confusing farm to market roads, just before you get into College Port. I'll worry about plans more as time gets nearer. I gotta do a dove hunting weekend in Waco the first of the month, first.:D

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=39

~z
July 31, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yea, I have a dove hunt with some Panhandle buddies meeting out in Bronte for the opening weekend myself. I may be in a Land Based big fish tournement on PINS the 7-9 of Sept. But plans are still up in the air.
~z

Grayrock
August 6, 2007, 10:02 AM
What do you do with teal? Breast them like dove? Pluck and roast like a turkey? Never shot a bird bigger than a dove before.

MCgunner
August 6, 2007, 10:12 AM
I just breast out all ducks and even geese anymore. There really ain't much worth all the work of pickin' 'em, just the breasts. The only bird I hunt from time to time that I will pick is a sand hill crane. They have some pretty hefty drum sticks on 'em, though it's tough as nails if you don't slow cook it. Sand Hills are awesome, though, none of the strongish wild taste normally associated with most migratory birds, sort of like dove in that respect, but one HECK of a lot bigger. :D

Teal, while bigger than a dove, ain't a whole lot of bird. I mean, you could pick it, for the extra bite of meat you'd get off the legs, but I'm lazy. Some folks pick doves, after all. My grandpa did, didn't believe in wasting anything. He survived the great depression, sorta shaped his thinking. Me, I'm just one of those worthless, lazy new generations. :D I have used the paraffin wax technique before, works real good if you wanna pick the whole bird, but I normally don't mess with it.

I vary in how I like to cook 'em. Lately, I'm real into the kabob thing on the grill, but have some good recipes. I got a dutch oven a while back, though, and might try to find a good way to use it for ducks. That thing is just neat. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Lookin' forward to teal season." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!