Gun show soon, need suggestions for AK.

PDA

ucfd_cyclist@yahoo.com
July 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
I have a new Romy WASR 10/63, 7.62X39mm I am wanting to have a tricked out AK, as far as synthetic stocks, scope, and other "tacticool" cosmetics go, and I want to have an AK with the original wood furniture.

Should I trickout my Romy, or leave it original and purchase another AK and trick it out? Which manufacturer makes the best "trick friendly" Ak, if I need to buy another one for this purpose? I do want it to be 7.62X39mm like my Romy.

I do want two seperate AK's. One traditional and one tricked out.

Any ideas you can give will be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show soon, need suggestions for AK." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MudPuppy
July 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
Get a milled bulgarian for your "traditinal" wood stocked AK, use the WASR for your dress up plaything.
Then use the milled bulgy and after you sell the WASR, buy more ammo. :)

(Oh, for standard interchangeablity, the stamped Romy is a good choice. Some hungarian types, like the '63 and 65 have non-standard foregrip retainers. Milled types don't use the same stocks, so it can be a little more difficult to find the high-speed, low-drag stuff for those. Saigas and Veprs are a different beast as well. So, in all seriousness, I would get a milled and trick the romy if that's your thing.)

Gun Wielding Maniac
July 19, 2007, 09:24 PM
Want a tricked out AK? Get a Galil.

KadicDeshi
July 19, 2007, 09:42 PM
You might give some thought to a Saiga. Since you're going to be buying parts anyway, just buy whatever extras you want to do the conversion with. This of course assumes you feel handy enough to do the work yourself.

Barrett

MudPuppy
July 19, 2007, 10:07 PM
A galil isn't any more tricked out...they're just nicer. :p

rangerruck
July 20, 2007, 02:02 AM
seconds on the saiga...

Prince Yamato
July 20, 2007, 03:22 AM
Here's what you should do to achieve a balance between tricked out and traditional.

1) Make sure the front handguards are wood. Flat-sided milled-style wood will make your WASR look about $100 more expensive. If you disparately crave a pistol grip up front, get the Romanian wood grip.

2) Get the Romanian metal rear folder stock. It's tactical but still traditional and much more durable than the plastic one from Tapco.

3) Get the Belarus side scope mount and attach either a rifle scope or a red dot sight.

As a general rule:

1) No M4 collapsible stocks. They're a damnable offense.
2) No Tapco furniture.
3) No receiver cover scope mounts, they're all crap.

ucfd_cyclist@yahoo.com
July 20, 2007, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the help. The Romy already has a side, scope mount on it. It came with it. That will help alot.

Prince Yamato
July 20, 2007, 03:35 AM
Almost forgot! There are two Belarus scope mounts. One sits high and allows for easy use of the iron sights as backups. The other, I believe sits low and does not.

ucfd_cyclist@yahoo.com
July 20, 2007, 03:41 AM
I added something to the original thread, It sounded like I wanted both in the same rifle.

I want two seperate AK's. One tricked out and one traditional.

My bad for the confusion guys.

benEzra
July 20, 2007, 03:41 AM
Another option, instead of buying a separate mount and then mounting a Western scope, is to use an eastern-block optic designed for the rifle.

I'm very partial to the Kobra (have on my SAR-1):

http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/forums/uploads/1168567538/gallery_260_23_20379.jpg

Details and pics: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=249285

ucfd_cyclist@yahoo.com
July 20, 2007, 03:45 AM
That's a sweet looking setup. I will definatly check that out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show soon, need suggestions for AK." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!