Bulgarian 5.45 Mags from Aim Surplus

PDA

Drakejake
July 20, 2007, 05:38 PM
Aim now has two kinds of polymer Bulgarian mags for AK74. The brown ones are described as in excellent condition. The plum ones, in "very used" condition. They are $9.95 each and I got five of each variety. The brown ones will not lock into my WASR-2. The plum ones will. Don't buy the brown ones for the WASR-2. I may be able to solve the problem by doing some filing on the under side of the rear catch. Anyone else have this problem?

Addendum. Using lots of force (pulling back on the mag rather than pushing up), I was able to get all five brown mags to lock on my second try. They are very tight but will probably wear in. Once locked in, there is no slop front to back or side to side. I think they are basically new rather than used in excellent condition. But I would still recommend the old mags (some rust on some base plates) unless you like everything nice and new. Once inserted, the plum mags are tight front to back but slightly loose side to side. I doubt if this will effect reliability in shooting.

Drakejake

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulgarian 5.45 Mags from Aim Surplus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gun Wielding Maniac
July 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
Remember, the WASR rifles entered the country as single stacks. Century opened up the mag wells and they ARE NOT all the same. Just because brown mags don't fit well in your rifle doesnt mean they won't in others.

Drakejake
July 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
The problem seems to be the length of the mag well, not the width.

Drakejake

000Buck
July 20, 2007, 08:16 PM
I just got a WASR2 from AIM. The two mags that came with it fit fine, a little loose in the mag catch. I bought some new East German mags from a place and they fit as your brown ones do(these are brown), they will not snap in without pulling back on them super hard. The problem is the bolt wants to stay open about 1/4" with these because the mag is too far in there by a small amount and must be hitting the bolt.

I am going to file on my mag catch and just get rid of the mags that fit loose. They are already a tiny bit looser than they should be. These new EG mags are much nicer so I am just going to use those and forget other mags. I can file these to fit perfectly instead of loose like the ones the gun came with.

TOU
July 20, 2007, 08:34 PM
Well...I finally did it I ordered one of their rifles, 1080 tin of ammo and 10 mags....you all are a very bad influence. :scrutiny::)

Drakejake
July 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
Cheap rifle, cheap ammo, cheap mags. What's the problem?

Drakejake

MechAg94
July 20, 2007, 10:27 PM
My WASR 2 will only work well with the thickest mags like those polymer coated Bulgarian. It has excessive mag wobble with others mags that affects reliability.

The Polish Tantal build I bought only takes the thinner bakelite mags so my collection works in harmony. :)

Prince Yamato
July 21, 2007, 12:23 AM
Don't buy the brown ones for the WASR-2. I may be able to solve the problem by doing some filing on the under side of the rear catch. Anyone else have this problem?

And the brown mags work fine in my WASR-2, but I have to file the lips on the black ones. Orange ones always work fine though.

I don't think the black and brown plastic mags are held to any sort of exact standard of production. Does anyone seriously think something that comes in an "I just ate 3 quarts of Kraft Mac and Cheese and Pooped Brown" color is held to high production standards? I think they have an inexact mold, place the metal feedlips in it, and pour. File your mags, not your gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bulgarian 5.45 Mags from Aim Surplus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!