Can I Repair A Colt AR-15 Reciever With A Crack In It?

PDA

Acera
July 20, 2007, 06:55 PM
I just got a Colt AR lower that has a crack on the ring that the buffer tube screws into. The piece is in place, and shows signs of an attempted repair at sometime in it's life. I do not think the ring ever broke completely off, just cracked in one spot. Is this repairable? Does anyone know what, if any, warranty Colt has on it. The receiver is an older SP1 type without any of the new beefer construction. Fortunately if it turns out to be junk, I have a full lower Colt parts kit for my other rifles, and I haven't dropped too much coin.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I Repair A Colt AR-15 Reciever With A Crack In It?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
July 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
Find someone who can TIG weld it, then have it re-annodized.

GunTech
July 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
+1. You have to heliarc the receiver. Fortunately, it is a non-stressed part. The bolt locks into the barrel extension.

blackhawk2000
July 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
Buffer tube, not barrel.

I'm sure a good welder can fix it. Might have to touch up the threads too after welding.

glockman19
July 20, 2007, 08:01 PM
You might even be able to get away with some JB Weld although teh suggestion above to TIG weld is the best, or just get another lower.

jaholder1971
July 21, 2007, 12:02 AM
I believe this is a pretty common point of cracking. It can be repaired but whether or not it's worth it I dunno.

I'd contact Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ. He's an AR15/M16 Zen Master at both repair and shooting them and he can probably tell you over the phone your best course of action. Google Accuracy speaks and get his website.

Acera
July 22, 2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks,

I will try to get it fixed for a few bucks, but not too many. I've wanted to build an A1 type rifle for a few years, and this will probably be the starting point.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I Repair A Colt AR-15 Reciever With A Crack In It?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!