7.62x39 brass case ammo

PDA

woof
July 21, 2007, 09:03 AM
I just bought a cz carbine (which I love) and am shy about using Wolf and such steel case ammo. So a) is that a realistic concern? and b) what's the best deal on brass case ammo out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 brass case ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Regolith
July 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
From what I understand, steel cased ammunition is fine to use in any gun. The only downside with it is that you can not reload it.

MMcfpd
July 21, 2007, 09:13 AM
When you can find it, Prvi Partizan is usually the best deal for brass 7.62x39 mm. AIM had it all last week, but they're out now (I think I helped get them there).

Other than that, the almost always findable brass 7.62 next up in the price scale is usually Federal AE, Winnie white box and Remington, in my experience.

Don't fear the Wolf, though. Alternatives to Wolf in steel are Brown Bear and Barnaul.

R.W.Dale
July 21, 2007, 09:47 AM
I've shot a TON of steel cased ammo through my CZ carbine with no ill effects.

Other than handloads the only brass cased factory ammo I've fired has been Remington (bought for the brass). I found the stuff to be laughably inacccurate; 8" groups at 100yds.

woof
July 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
What I have heard about Wolf is that steel case ammo causes more rapid wear to the gun. That and that the Russians are now getting powder from China and the ammo is very smoky and dirty.

R.W.Dale
July 21, 2007, 10:26 AM
What I have heard about Wolf is that steel case ammo causes more rapid wear to the gun.

Think about it! If an AK-47 can last through hundreds of thousands on rounds of the stuff ripping through on full auto at hundreds of rounds per minute. How is it going to hurt your bolt action rifle?

Regolith
July 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
woof...it doesn't cause excessive wear. The cases are lubricated, hence decreasing wear, and I'm not even sure they're hard enough to cause damage anyway. As for the second rumor...don't know anything about it, but from what I understand Wolf ammunition is non-corrosive; I doubt they'd change that, as it could cause them to lose customers.

And even if it were, shooting corrosive ammunition doesn't damage your firearm so long as you clean it well after you've shot it.

woof
July 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
What do you think about the Brown Bear?

MIL-DOT
July 21, 2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=320659

woof
July 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm sure the Fiocchi is good but at 40 cents a pop (after shipping) I don't know that it's such a good deal. Same with the S&B brass case. It seems like the brass case factory loads available in bulk over the internet are not a better deal than Win or Federal over the counter 20 rounds at a time.

woof
July 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
I just bought 500 rds of Bernaul Brown Bear 125 gr soft point for 93.65 including shipping. I guess the only way to know is to try it.

chris in va
July 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
Wolf/Brown Bear/Golden Tiger and CZ were made for each other.

Stop worrying, go shoot the darn thing.

nalioth
July 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
What I have heard about Wolf is that steel case ammo causes more rapid wear to the gun. That and that the Russians are now getting powder from China and the ammo is very smoky and dirty. The Soviets (and their satellite states) use steel in a lot of things due to the expense and ease of worksmanship. Their steel casings are soft steel, they use steel cores instead of lead (soft steel, NOT ARMOR PIERCING) in their bullets, and steel jackets on their bullets.

All of your communist (or former communist) countries are gonna produce a firearm that is designed with this in mind.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 brass case ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!