First time at 100yards (.308 and .22) awesome day

PDA

unrealtrip
July 21, 2007, 11:24 AM
Had a great day at the range yesterday with a few firsts for me.

I worked out the mounting problems I was having with my 925 and the crap quality rings I had by swapping them out with some very well priced Leupold split rings. With the scope now lined up straight down the barrel I was good to go for some range time.

I also finally scoped my M1A with a 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmasters and all I can say is wow. That thing is ultra clear and sharp, the side adjustment for parallax is nice and it really is bright. I can see where my money went in comparison with my .22 scope.

With both my rifles scoped it was time to head to the range and zero them in. I started at the 25yd with my .22. It didn't take long to dial it in and at the range I was at the wind didn't seem to have much of an affect on the trajectory. Once sighted in, if I held it steady enough, it would consistently hit a dime sized shoot n' see.

Then I got the M1A situated, unfortunately I don't have a bipod on it yet, I just ordered a couple of surplus style stocks since I'm reluctant to try cutting into my factory SA Walnut to mount a swivel as that stock is just too nice to muck up. So for now, I had it on sandbags. Anyway, after not too much effort got it sighted in and moved over to the 50yd line. Did the same process, a little more adjusting and went over to the 100yd. I have a few milsurp stocks on order so I can mess with cutting an mounting a sling swivel stud so I can put my Harris bipod on it. I also figure it would be nice to have a field stock that I can knock around.

At the 50yd line the Marlin did experience a little drift due to wind, the .22 is just too light, but it wasn't real bad. A slight windage adjustment and that was back to consistently tight enough patterns to knock out a quarter sized shoot n' see. I love that gun, the accuracy is awesome. I heard it mentioned before I got it that Marlins had tight groups and that is no joke. It is a tack driver, I however am not, so I get a wider group than a good shooter probably could. Anyway, I didn't want to rezero the .22 at 100 as I figure most of the shooting I will do with that will be at 50 and I also worked out the holdover at 100 anyway, more on that in a sec.

So I got the M1A out, zero'd it then realized how awesome the accuracy on that gun is at range as well. Granted, I was shooting off of sandbags, but more or less I'd have the same results off of a bipod I think, at least, I did with the .22. Anyway, a couple pix below. I'm not the best shooter and it was my first time at 100, but the rest of the targets were all the same, I just peeled those 2 off. I also tried sitting and prone, with each position I was only able to get 1 shot inside the shoot n' see (those are 3" btw) so I need to work on that.

At 100 since I didn't want to rezero the .22 so I had to holdover and left since I also didn't feel like mokeying with the windage either. Granted, this is only one of 14 shots, but still, I was pleased.

Anyway, it was an awesome day out yesterday. The weather was great, the range wasn't crowded and my guns were shooting well. What more could I ask for on a day playing hooky. :D

.22 at 100yd, 3" or so holdover and left 1-2" for windage, ya baby
http://www.secretreality.com/shooting/22at100.jpg

http://www.secretreality.com/shooting/100_001.jpg

http://www.secretreality.com/shooting/100_002.jpg

http://www.secretreality.com/shooting/m1a_scoped001.jpg

http://www.secretreality.com/shooting/m1a_scoped002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "First time at 100yards (.308 and .22) awesome day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
_N4Z_
July 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
That's a fine lookin' rifle.

And good shooting too!

I also have a Marlin 925 which I think is a daisy. Try poppin' shotgun cases at 100 yards with it. That's a hoot. Golfballs also can be quite entertaining. Just throw them on the ground and see how far out you can hit them.

Outlaws
July 21, 2007, 08:02 PM
.22 at 100yd, 3" or so holdover and left 1-2" for windage, ya baby

Thats definitely good to know how to hit your target without adjusting the sights.

Was this your first time at 100 yards, or just with these two rifles? You can always just aim at the bullseye and keep firing at it. Then even if the wind and drop miss the bullseye, you will still get a true picture of the groupings your rifles can produce, as the bullseye is irrelevant, and mainly just needed for a consistent point of aim.

GunTech
July 21, 2007, 09:59 PM
Not a bad SHTF grab and go case. Need to get some USGI 20 round mags for that M1A.

glockman19
July 21, 2007, 11:25 PM
Nice shooting. My next M1A will be a Wood Stock & Stainless barrel, I really like the look.

unrealtrip
July 22, 2007, 03:14 AM
Thanks, yeah that was actually the first time I've ever shot any gun at 100yds. The case I put together like that for a few reasons, that is one of them. I'm not done cutting the foam for it, but eventually it will be complete :) It is big and heavy though, I'm glad it has wheels. The nice thing is when I head to the range, I just grab that, my ammo can and a backpack with targets/tape/etc.

metalmachine
July 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
Great set up. Is that a Smith scope mount on the M1A? Also what case is that and where is it from?

unrealtrip
July 22, 2007, 11:50 PM

Actually that is a Springfield Armory 3rd generation mount. I studied the various mounts and how the attach a lot before I settled on it. A huge selling point for me was the fact that the SA mount allows you to use the iron sights with a scope on the gun. During the mounting process you realize there is no way that thing is coming loose.

The case is a Pelican 1750, I got it from Opticsplanet.com for $199 shipped. I highly recomend both the case and OpticsPlanet. I cut it using a hotwire foam cutter I made.

If you enjoyed reading about "First time at 100yards (.308 and .22) awesome day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!