Polytech M14 price check

PDA

Coronach
July 21, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have a line on one for $500, NIB. Yes, I know this price is low. No, I have not yet actually seen the rifle (I will before I buy, of course).

My questions are:

1. What Gotchas should I be looking for?

2. Is there any way to know if the receiver was heat-treated properly? My quick reading (correct me if I'm wrong) leads me to believe that if the receiver was heat-treated properly, you're good-to-go, and if it wasn't, well...

Thanks!

Mike

PS Why do all of the really good deals show up when I don't have money to blow?

Edit: So, it's the bolts that are soft, not the receivers? That's encouraging. Are the receivers pretty-much always OK? I have no problem swapping the bolt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polytech M14 price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alphazulu6
July 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hrm... polytech I would buy it for $500 just as a "keep it until they become illegal and sell" projects :D

Seven High
July 21, 2007, 04:26 PM
If I remember correctly, the bolt was the problem area. Some were not properly heat treated. I would buy it and fire off a few rounds then examine the spent casings carefully.

bartsimpson123844
July 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
Wow. I didn't know you could get an M14 for less than $1000. All I've seen are the Springfield Armory ones. I thought there were some Chinese clones of the M14? What happened to those?

Coronach
July 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
That's what a Polytech is. ;)

LeonCarr
July 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
Buy gun for 500 bucks, send to Smith Enterprises to correct possible heat treating/soft bolt issues. Money well spent.

www.smithenterprise.com

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Gator
July 21, 2007, 09:11 PM
Yeah, buy it and send it to Smith for a complete inspection, new bolt, and re-heat treat.

Samuraigg
July 21, 2007, 10:30 PM
Would someone be better off getting the M1A from Springfield or getting a Polytech and having Smith do work on it? How would the costs compare?

aubie515
July 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
SA are not forged receivers, so I'd get a Poly over a SA.

Have you considered sending it to "WarBird" on the m14forum? He is in TX and does amazing work on the M14S.

I had a NIB Poly that I was going to have Warbird work over the bolt. I even bought a USGI bolt to replace the Poly bolt.

Gator
July 21, 2007, 11:44 PM
IIRC it is not a simple bolt swap, some machining of the receiver has to be done.

The problem with sending a rifle to Smith, is that they are swamped with government work due to the war. Maybe Warbird would be a better bet, I've heard good things about him.

Samuraigg
July 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
Are there any 922r complications with a Poly? Can you use high capacity mags without swapping in US made parts?

Coronach
July 26, 2007, 12:36 AM
Well. I bought it. I'll post pics in a few minutes. It's...interesting. Fit and finish is most definately NOT up to SA standards, but it looks servicible.

Mike

Edit: And here it is: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3579276#post3579276

If you enjoyed reading about "Polytech M14 price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!