Questions for my first AR build

PDA

epi 1:10,000
July 21, 2007, 04:21 PM
I have worked out what I want buy (16 midlength) but I I dont know much about what buffer to buy or what the differnce between flask supressers are. What is the difference between an A2, Smith vortex, and a YHM Phantom 5C2? What sort of buffer do I need for a short ACE SOCOM stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for my first AR build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RockyMtnTactical
July 21, 2007, 05:49 PM
A regular carbine buffer should work just fine.

The Phantom and the Vortex are better, more effective flash hiders (but they are longer too, which helps their effectiveness). The A2 is a decent flash hider, nothing special, but it's cheap and short...

I prefer the Phantom over the Vortex because it also works as a compensator, it's 99% as effective, less prone to breakage, won't kick up dust when shooting prone, etc... I also happen to think it looks better, and it's cheaper... but 95% of people out there won't ever know the difference.

10-Ring
July 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
As long as it's std carbine, a std buffer is all you need.

Don't Tread On Me
July 21, 2007, 07:23 PM
If your rifle will have a carbine gas system (not a midlength) like a 16" rifle, and you can spend the extra $10, get the H-buffer. H stands for heavy. It is the proper weight for a carbine length gas system. The gas system on a carbine is harsher due to the shorter length, and the extra weight of the H-buffer slows down the cycling and reduces stress on the bolt and cam pin.

As for the flashhiders. Well, the A2 is standard USGI. I like the Phantom. I have that exact model. The Vortex is better, but just by a hair. The difference in flash suppression is so little between the two, that there's no way to justify the Vortex being 2x the price of the Phantom - UNLESS you like the look of the Vortex. If you're going for that look, by all means. You can't go wrong from a flash suppression standpoint though. Both will pretty much kill 99% of the flash. They are leaps and bounds superior to the A2 flashhider.

DougW
July 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
Carbine stock, use the carbine buffer and spring. Rifle stock, use the rifle buffer and spring. I had my mid length barrel (post Ban) threaded, and I use the Phantom 5C2 DNA Extractor FH. It WORKS! The Vortex works vry well too. Going to change the FH out as I am adding a suppressor. The mid lengths nmees a GOOD FH, as they will light up the day (and night).

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions for my first AR build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!