Boric acid + guns = ?

PDA

.cheese.
July 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Just wondering if I should be concerned. The place just got treated for fleas with boric acid powder in the carpets and some big carpet mixer mixer/vac thing was used to get it deep in there and get rid of excess. Unfortunately the machine also kicked up a lot of powder into the air and I can only imagine some of it will get into the gun safe as my gun safe is unwanted-hands tight... not air tight.

I would imagine the boric acid can't be all that strong or I wouldn't be sitting here breathing normally.... but I just was wondering if anybody here knows whether this boric acid powder poses any threat to "the collection".

It only struck me when I remembered 6th grade chemistry. acid + metal = exothermic reaction (or something like that assuming I butchered it like I probably did).

I looked up Boric Acid and it's supposedly very weak and is often used as a powdered metal lubricant.... I don't think that means I don't have to use Break Free for a couple weeks though............... In fact, I have no clue what that means.

also apperently with alcohol, some people use it to remove oxidation from jewelry. I wonder if that's a problem as blueing = oxidation.

Anyways, if anybody knows about this powdered boric acid stuff and if there's anything I should know, like whether I should start cleaning all my guns tomorrow morning when the dust has settled, let me know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Boric acid + guns = ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigRobT
July 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
I know they use it on cats when they have an eye infection. Usually, it's the liquid form. I would think a good gun cleaning might be in order just as a preventative measure. Acid (or alkali) & metal don't normally mix.

Alphazulu6
July 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
Wipe em down with a little gun oil for good measure.

Jim Watson
July 21, 2007, 06:12 PM
Boric acid is a good rust remover. Rust is iron oxide, so is bluing. Clean 'em up. Not just a wipedown.

obxned
July 21, 2007, 06:17 PM
We've used boric acid powder for years for the bugs, and have never had any problems.

1 old 0311
July 21, 2007, 06:20 PM
When in doubt, clean them WELL!

.cheese.
July 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah. I think I should.

Maybe tonight or tomorrow morning so the powder in the air settles.

Selfdfenz
July 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Been there, done that. Apparently boric acid isn't very hygroscopic. It seems to say in the powder form virtually forever in my experience. You'll be vaccing it up to a certain extent for a long time. Sure works on fleas and lasts a long time :)

If you think about it, most flooring under the carpet whether OSB or plywood is nailed or screwed down with steel fasteners. It the BA had a propensity to cause those fasteners to rust it's conceivable you'd end up with rust stains backing up through the carpets or vinyl eventually. That wouldn't be a very desirable feature from the perspective of the homeowner or the company selling the service. Doubtful this material would be as popular as it is if rust was an issue.

I can't recall even the slightest amount of rust on anything in the house after the treatment including the vac which was mainlineing the stuff for months & which also had a steel bottom.

Best,

S-

If you enjoyed reading about "Boric acid + guns = ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!