How far can you shoot 12gauge slugs?

PDA

Lone_Gunman
July 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
Specifically, how far away can 12 gauge slugs shot out of an 18" smooth bore barrel be counted on to hit a man-sized target?

If you enjoyed reading about "How far can you shoot 12gauge slugs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRB
July 21, 2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know how far is practical, but I have hit torso sized metal targets, standing, no rest, at 100 yards with a Rem 870, 18 barrel with bead front sight using regular 2 3/4" slugs. Although I must say, I sure do a lot better with the rifled sights on my 870 with smoothbore 22 inch barrel, and with my issue 870 with Ghost Rings.

All the best,
Glenn B

GRIZ22
July 21, 2007, 10:59 PM
I've done it to 100 yds and kept them in a B27 target. 100 yds was all I had when I tried it and I imagine I could go to 150 with more holdover.

GRIZ22
July 21, 2007, 11:00 PM
Glenn, did we both do at the same time?

GunTech
July 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
Using a rifled chock, I can shoot about a 3 inch group with my benelli at 100 yards if I use a rest. Mac range will depend on the specific round. The old Silvestre finned slug would really sail, and i occasionally managed to hit the man silhouette at 300 yards. I seen some unbelievable slug shooting using rifled barrels with slugs. Hits out to 500 yards with sabotted sub caliber slugs. But I consider this 'trick shooting' and not really applicable to real life - not much energy and rainbow trajectory

Jack2427
July 23, 2007, 12:31 AM
My Browning A-bolt with a bedded synthetic stock and sabot rounds is literally a MOA weapon. My 870 with rifled 18" barrel and ghost rings is 3" at 100 yards, and the same with a scope, the Ithaca 37 rifled deer slayer is only slightly larger groups, but that gun was not built with modern sabot ammo in mind and has a larger rifled bore. My smooth bores will keep on a man sized target most of the time, with variations in bore sizes and sighting equipment. The trick seems to be finding ammo that your particular gun "likes". Using sabot rounds in a smoothbore is a waaste of money and using "rifled " slugs in a rifled bore is likewise wasting time as well as money.
Use sabots in rifled bores and the traditional "rfiled" slug in smoothbores.

Big Daddy K
July 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
I don't know how far is practical, but I have hit torso sized metal targets, standing, no rest, at 100 yards with a Rem 870, 18 barrel with bead front sight using regular 2 3/4" slugs.

Me too sept with my sons 870 youth 20. It made the steel go bonnnnnngggg big time.

kellyj00
July 23, 2007, 10:27 AM
if you get the angle right, a few hundred yards.
It's a 1 oz piece of steel, it's going to fall to earth quicker than a lighter bullet.

Fred Fuller
July 23, 2007, 10:50 AM
Like so many answers to so many questions regarding shotguns and what they will or won't do, it's simple- "It depends... ."

It depends on the barrel. Shotgun barrels are each a law unto themselves, how a given barrel performs has more to do with magic than with science. Smoothbore vs. rifled has a certain amount of influence on the outcome as well.

It depends on the load chosen. Some slugs do better than others out of a given barrel. Generally sabot slugs do better in rifled barrels, while rifled slugs do better in smoothbores. Generally... .

A great deal depends on the shooter. It isn't easy to shoot groups with shotgun slugs- about like shooting groups with a .375 H&H, depending on the load and the weight of the gun in question. In other words, there's no escaping physics. Shotguns kick, and they kick more with heavier loads. Benching a shotgun loaded with slugs as if it were a .223 varmint rifle is a good way to work up a solid flinch if you aren't careful about what you're doing.

Best way to answer your question is to go buy a small assortment of slugs, rifled slugs for a smoothbore or sabots for a rifled barrel, drag out your fowling piece, find a 200 yard range with a good backstop, and go to work.

I don't think it really matters much to you how far away I or anyone else here can hit with our shotguns and our slugs- question is, how far can YOU hit with your shotgun and your slugs? Only way for you to really know is to go shooting. And remember- you're only as good as your worst day. 8^)

Stay safe, and have fun experimenting!

lpl/nc

Grayrock
July 23, 2007, 07:51 PM
Man With A Gun says in this thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=288706&page=2 : I have sold the last of my deer rifles just today. I do not need them since one sabot slug from my DSIII puts down anything on legs in North America. 1'' hole at 200 yards is simple...it will shoot farther and better I am just not a good rifleman. Some guys can go out to 3-400 yrds with this gun.
:scrutiny:

Double Naught Spy
July 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
We've shot them at 200 yards with good success on human sized steel silhouette targets. At 300, I could not hit squat, in part due to the large hold over.

pdowg881
July 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
So generally, with practice can I expect to hit deer sized game at 100 yards reliably with my 26" smoothbore 870 with rifled slugs?

TrapperReady
July 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
Here's my take...

I can shoot "minute-of-good-enough-to-kill-a-deer" out to 100 yards at the range. This is with an 870 SuperMag with a smoothbore rifle-sighted Express barrel. I typically use Brenneke 1oz rifled slugs.

When actually hunting, I limit myself to about 75 yards, since shooting conditions in the field are rarely ideal. Last year's sausage-to-be was dropped on the run at a little over 50 yards.

Now, with the right setup and testing, I'm sure you could get accuracy to push 200 yards. However, that's about 100 yards beyond the typical cover I hunt in will allow for a shot.

Jeff F
July 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
A far far way. We have shot them at an old diatomaceous earth mine at a 55 gallon drum at extended ranges, 300 + yards. Using artillery like elevation, with artillery like trajectory after we got the range down we were getting some good hits. You would see some big white puffs in the powder down range in the impact area on the misses. Just out having fun, practical range for a slug is 100 yards or less. With some specialty slug guns you can extend the range some.

Deaf Smith
July 23, 2007, 11:22 PM
What kind of slugs? Sabot? Foster? What kind of barrel? Smooth bore, rifled, choak tube rifling? Scope? Open sights? Bead?

Lots of factors. But I can tell you a good Mossy 590, with factory rifle sights, will easly do 100 yards, standing, with Brenneke sabot slugs, on a IPSC 'A' zone!

pdowg881
July 23, 2007, 11:25 PM
How about 12ga winchester super x magnum rifled slugs, 26" rem 870 smoothbore bead sight and mod choke? I've never actaully done any paper shooting with slugs so I'm curious what to expect when I do.

I'm trying to find the balance between cost and effectiveness.

Regolith
July 23, 2007, 11:28 PM
pdowg...what's the choke? Also, the bead sight is going to make it somewhat difficult to aim.

glockman19
July 24, 2007, 12:23 AM
I can shoot relatively accurately to 100 yards with my Remington 870 w/18 barrel and a rifled slug.

strambo
July 24, 2007, 12:43 AM
I had no problem hitting a 55 gal. barrel lid every time @ 75 yds with my bead only 18" 870 standing. That's as far as I've shot with it. So, I consider my personal max effective range against a man size target w/ slugs to be 75yds unless/until I can do a more thorough assessment.

Snarlingiron
July 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
I fitted my Remington 870 with a 20" rifle sighted barrel. Great for slugs, and works quite well for shotshells too. I have shot some clays with it several times, and I just ignore the rear sight. I can hit with it as well as with any. With this setup I can consistently put slugs on a man size target at 200 yards. At 300 yards as Jeff f stated, the hold over get kind of crazy. While this would not be my weapon of choice for 200 yards, it can be effective.

Big Daddy K
July 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
I fitted my Remington 870 with a 20" rifle sighted barrel. Great for slugs, and works quite well for shotshells too. I have shot some clays with it several times, and I just ignore the rear sight. I can hit with it as well as with any. With this setup I can consistently put slugs on a man size target at 200 yards. At 300 yards as Jeff f stated, the hold over get kind of crazy. While this would not be my weapon of choice for 200 yards, it can be effective.

Whats really cool is that you can shoot BS and slugs while pig hunting.

Legionnaire
July 25, 2007, 06:50 AM
Personal experience: Six shots in an 10" group at 100 yards shooting Remington "Sluggers" (Foster type) through an 18.5" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights on a Mossberg 500A, without a rest. YMMV.

sacp81170a
July 25, 2007, 07:08 AM
It's a 1 oz piece of steel, it's going to fall to earth quicker than a lighter bullet.

Uhh, not to pick nits, but it should be lead, not steel. Oh, and Physics 101 taught me that light and heavy objects are subject to equal rates of acceleration due to gravity. Light objects fall as fast as heavy objects if wind resistance is discounted. What causes the different trajectory of say, a .22-250 and a 12 gauge slug are the different horizontal velocities involved.

NoWake
July 25, 2007, 10:19 PM
I have an old Winchester pump that I shortened the barrel enough to cut out the modified choke. Put a decent 3x9 scope on it and tried a bunch of different slugs. I had by far the best groups using 2 3/4" 1 oz. Winchester foster type slugs.
I would be very confident at 200 yards with torso sized targets. Sounds ridiculous with that combination, but I have done it consistantly with paper targets, I have even killed a Whitetail at 197 yds. 1 shot. DRT

budney
July 25, 2007, 10:26 PM
An average deer hunter can generally be expected to hit a pie plate at about 100 yards. If he tries, anyway--there are a fair few deer hunters who just don't consider shots over 50 yards or so. I suspect that correlates with whether the hunter also shoots a rifle; in areas where rifles aren't legal for hunting, it's not too hard to find a hunter who has never fired anything but a shotgun (I was one until recently, if you don't count a .22).

--Len.

If you enjoyed reading about "How far can you shoot 12gauge slugs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!