First legally-owned machinegun to be used in crime!

PDA

MicroBalrog
June 30, 2003, 01:37 PM
2 charged with accidentally shooting woman with machine gun

Two Polson-area boys are charged with felonies after they accidentally shot a woman with a machine gun Tuesday.

Lake County Undersheriff Mike Sargent said the boys, ages 13 and 16, were target practicing on Bisson Lane, south of Polson, when a shot went astray and struck a woman in the leg. She was in a field with her husband on a tractor, he said.

"They were out there, throwing rounds down," Sargent said.

The woman was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital where she underwent surgery and is recovering, Sargent said.

Deputies Cory Anderson and Mike Carlson responded. They confiscated the .233-caliber Ruger mini-14. One of the boys' fathers has a permit to own the machine gun, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was notified because of the type of gun used in the accident, Sargent said.

The boys won't be identified because of their ages. At the end of the week, they were charged with felony criminal endangerment.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/NewsEngine/SelectStory_AD.tpl?command=search&db=news.db&eqskudata=82-809196-77

If you enjoyed reading about "First legally-owned machinegun to be used in crime!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USGuns
June 30, 2003, 01:41 PM
The Mini-14 ... a machine-gun?!?!? ... oh brother ... :rolleyes:

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 01:42 PM
felony criminal endangerment.

Apparently felony stupid and felony careless as well. :scrutiny:

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 01:43 PM
There are full-auto Mini-14 conversions as well as AC-556's.

El Tejon
June 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
Felony accident???:rolleyes:

Micro, not the first, a Dayton (Ohio) po-po carried out a hit with a full auto MAC which he owned on a 4. (The NJ po-po used a departmental HK54).

MicroBalrog
June 30, 2003, 01:47 PM
Micro, not the first, a Dayton (Ohio) po-po carried out a hit with a full auto MAC which he owned on a 4 He owned it? How the h*** did a beat cop have the money to pay for a post-May-19th MG?

Tamara
June 30, 2003, 01:49 PM
MAC's are cheap.

El Tejon
June 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
Micro, simple economics. He purchased it on a 4 before 5/19/86.

BTW, coppers often work moonlight gigs (security guards for stores, bank guards, and even construction around here) and some departments pay overtime.

MicroBalrog
June 30, 2003, 01:57 PM
At any rate, what do you think will happen to the MG in this story? Will they cut it up? :(

And what will this do to the "gun lobby", politically?

Bartholomew Roberts
June 30, 2003, 02:04 PM
You know, I love Class III stuff but instead of making them fill out a Form 4, they should just make them show they know how to keep all their rounds on the berm - or at least how to take their finger off the trigger when they see those clouds of dust crawling up the berm towards the top.

Mike Irwin
June 30, 2003, 02:05 PM
Tejon,

I've heard conflicting stories of whether that machine gun was his own or whether it had been partially paid for by the police dept. for which he worked.

El Tejon
June 30, 2003, 02:07 PM
Micro, hmmm, don't know Big Sheep law, but probably not.

It will be held for evidence; it then depends (of course) on what happens next.

As to politics, more impact on Big Sheep than anything else--accidental/negligence, no death. "Kids with guns" or something along those lines.

This also happened in a county to my east. Kid was plinking in the middle of a soybean field. Bullet ricced and hit a man walking out to his car .75 miles away. No crim charges, kid/parents/landowner were sued, but think case is still pending.

The Four Rules are life. Too bad that they are not more widely taught.:(

We have work to do inside our own culture!

Kenneth Lew
June 30, 2003, 02:10 PM
The Mini-14 ... a machine-gun?!?!? ... oh brother ...

AC-556's are Factory Ruger Machineguns.
Mini-14's are converted machine guns.

The ATF Form 4 transfer would indicated AC-556's and have Ruger as the manufacturer or Mini-14 and have Billy Bob as the manufacturer.

He owned it? How the h*** did a beat cop have the money to pay for a post-May-19th MG

I have magazines with ads from the 50's - 80's showing:
1. Transferables Sten Machine Guns for $12.50
2. Factory M-16's from Colt going for $200.00
3. MP40's cheap.

Semi-automatic AR-15's were going for more than full-auto.

Screw the minor protection clause for kids now these days. We should have stricter punishment for morons like that. Hell a 13 year old stabbed another classmate in school with a screwdriver and killed him. In a few more years he will be released with a CLEAN RECORD.

Old Fuff
June 30, 2003, 02:20 PM
It should be noted that this "crime" was not commited by the legal owner to whom the gun was registeded too. However if it was truly a "registered automatic weapon" it should have been locked up in a safe and the boys shouldn't have had the combination. If they were "allowed" to take it out without the owner's supervision then that's another matter entirely. I suspect the news accounts are not giving us all the facts. So what else is new?

blue86buick
June 30, 2003, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't think this would count, as it's not as if they intended to shoot this poor woman. They prolly weren't practicing the 4 rules, and negligently shot her. IMHO, that's different from intentionally commiting a crime with a MG. Course, the anti propoganda/news won't make that distinction. :rolleyes:

Hkmp5sd
June 30, 2003, 06:28 PM
Is it legal for someone other than the registered owned to posess the full-auto gun?

Nope. It is not even legal for someone other than the owner to have access to a full-auto gun without the owner physically present.

Unless the boys stole the gun, the owner can kiss this one goodbye.

hksw
June 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
"The Mini-14 ... a machine-gun?!?!? ... oh brother ... "

You haven't seen The A-Team?

'I pidy da foo'.' :p

PrudentGT
July 1, 2003, 03:40 AM
I'm still not convinced this was an automatic weapon and may have been nothing more than a garden variety semi-auto Mini-14. There are a *lot* of people, and journalism is probably filled with more than its fair share, who still believe that all weapons require 'permits.' Just today the Mercury News had an article about Iraquis and their 'Kalishnikov automated weapons.'

Sunray
July 1, 2003, 04:04 AM
"...the boys, ages 13 and 16..." What in all that's holy were two kids doing shooting an MG by themselves? Even if it's not FA, where the hell were the parents? And what's an 'Undersherrif'?

Hkmp5sd
July 1, 2003, 07:06 AM
And what's an 'Undersherrif'?

The 2nd in command. Like a vice-president or assistant/deputy chief of police.

David Park
July 1, 2003, 06:56 PM
Here's the only other mention of this story I can find, also from a local Montana newspaper: Woman shot by teenage boys

By Maggie Plummer
of the Leader

POLSON - Two teenage boys were shooting high caliber, assault-style rifles Tuesday morning on Bisson Lane southeast of Polson when they accidentally shot a neighbor woman in the leg.
According to Lake County Undersheriff Mike Sargeant, a 14-year-old male and a 16-year-old male were shooting an AK 47 and a Ruger Mini 14 at the location near Minesinger Trail in the Mountain View neighborhood.
Possible criminal charges against the teens are pending, the undersheriff said.
The woman, who was in a neighboring field when she was shot, was hit in the thigh and temporarily passed out, according to reports.
One of the teens called 911 and the woman was taken to St. Joseph Hospital with a non-life threatening injury, Sargeant said.
At press time, the investigation was still ongoing, he said.
Concerned neighbors had previously complained about the teens shooting in that relatively populated area, according to Sargeant.
As of press time, no further details were available. http://www.leaderadvertiser.com/index.asp?Sec=News&str=1073
(if site is unavailable, the story was cached by Google)

Note that, in this version, an "AK 47" is also present, but the firearms are "high caliber, assault-style rifles" and not machine guns. They also mention that the boys were the ones who called 911, and one of the boys is now 14, not 13.

I have no idea which version of the story is more accurate (although the first story seems to contain a lot of unnecessary anti-gun venom). I think we can safely assume that a woman was accidentally shot by two teenagers, but beyond that I wouldn't place any bets.

alan
July 1, 2003, 07:08 PM
I believe that ther first instance was some years back. It involved, as I recall, a Chicago cop, whose mental state was "questionable", who fired his legally owned sub-machinegun, illegally.

While youth is sometimes used as an excuse for all sorts of foolishness, I submit that in this case, that dog will not hunt, not should it even try to do so. These "children" need to be taught a lesson that they will NEVER forget.

Archer
July 2, 2003, 12:08 AM
They confiscated the .233-caliber Ruger mini-14.

The REAL question is, where can I find one of those cool new .233 caliber Rugers ? That definitely sounds like an answer to a question no one asked ! Neater than even the .45 Glock round !

*click*

Deactivating excessive sarcasm switch.

The story was probably written by the same reporter who described 4 bricks of .22 Colibri and a pair of Ruger MkII's as "an arsenal of automatic pistols and thousands of rounds of ammunition".

alan
July 2, 2003, 12:24 AM
Old Fluff wrote :It should be noted that this "crime" was not commited by the legal owner to whom the gun was registeded too. However if it was truly a "registered automatic weapon" it should have been locked up in a safe and the boys shouldn't have had the combination. If they were "allowed" to take it out without the owner's supervision then that's another matter entirely. I suspect the news accounts are not giving us all the facts. So what else is new?

Do the "newsies" have any idea concerning the "facts" of the matter, not to mention the question of would they know a fact if it bit them on their posterior?

If you enjoyed reading about "First legally-owned machinegun to be used in crime!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!