Stupidity Strikes Again, and One's Gotta Go.

PDA

Dionysusigma
July 22, 2007, 03:07 AM
I'll cut out the gory details, and say that I need to get rid of one of the above... probably by tomorrow morning.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61182

Mauser Pros:
- It's a complete, working gun
- I have a millionty rounds for it
- It's in as perfect condition as it'll ever be
- It's a friggin Mauser with bona fide trench art :D

Mauser Cons:
- Slow rate of fire (unless I completely forego aiming)
- All my ammo is corrosive
- Redundant role, as I pretty much own my dad's M1903A3
- More recoil than any new shooter will like

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61183

AR Pros:
- It's a modern(ish), autoloading design
- It'll be light and handy
- Fills a long-empty niche
- Easy to teach new shooters on

AR Cons:
- It's nothing more than a stripped lower, and three mags with rebuild kits
- As an autoloader, it can eat a lot more than the Mauser
- Relatively useless against hogs (if I ever go hog-hunting)
- Direct-gas-impingement system

So, what do y'all recommend? One or the other, not both, and not neither. :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupidity Strikes Again, and One's Gotta Go." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roadwild17
July 22, 2007, 03:22 AM
Which do you think would be easier to replace?

Harry Paget Flashman
July 22, 2007, 03:25 AM
"It's a complete, working gun" clinched it for me.

Alphazulu6
July 22, 2007, 03:26 AM
"It's a complete, working gun"

Yeah exactly.

Jadecristal
July 22, 2007, 04:09 AM
There IS little that is LESS useful than an unloaded gun.

... and I'd presume doubly so for an unloaded, not-put-together gun.

BusMaster007
July 22, 2007, 04:14 AM
I'm thinkin' "TRENCH ART" vs. "NICHE FILLER" ...

Got any trenches close by?

Fill the NICHE!!! Fill it, I say! :D

:)

Coronach
July 22, 2007, 04:36 AM
How soon until you can replace it? If short term, I'd say ditch the lower. If long term (like, after November 2008), you might not want to.

Or

How much can you get from the two? If you can only sell one at a loss, but can sell the other for a good price...

Mike

Dionysusigma
July 22, 2007, 04:47 AM
Purchasing anything over $30.00 is a major investment for me. Seriously. :(

Buying a gun, for me, is like anyone else buying a new car. If I see something I like, I research the heck out of it, hold it, hem and haw over it, but most of the time never actually get it. The rare times I do, it's monumental (emphasis on the "mental").

After the sale of one of these, I doubt I'll be able to buy another gun for at least a couple of years. School is fast approaching, and I've got to buy about $1500 worth of tools. My paycheck... well, it helps, but it's never much to speak of after filling my horrible car with gas and other necessary expenses.

After this, my collection will be down to three... whichever one stays, my 1911, and my grandfather's Remington Model 12.

Edit:
Whenever I sell off a firearm, I sell off everything that goes with it (ammo, holsters, boresnakes, slings, magazines, manuals, and so forth). For the Mauser, that's whatever range ammo that I have, about seven SHTF bandoleers of Yugo 8mm, the boresnake, the empty stripper clips, and whatever else I find that's solely related to it.

For the AR, it'd include the 3 mags (heavily used condition) of Guat surplus, the mag pouch, the mag rebuild kits, three boxes of S&B 5.56, a cheap NcStar AR-handle-mount scope, etc.

Not sure what the values of each pile are. Thing is, there's a gun show tomorrow down the street, my pocket's empty (I can find $10 for the entry fee), my gas tank is dry, and I've got about half a pack of cigarettes left. Don't get paid 'till Friday.

skinnyguy
July 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
I voted to get rid of the lower, well I for the lower, provided the high vote count means the one you lose. The question wasn't clear as to whether we vote for the keeper or the goner.

The complete, working gun makes it the keeper, all the other stuff on it is just icing, SWEET icing, btw.

aaronrkelly
July 22, 2007, 04:53 AM
Keep the GUN and sell the receiver.....you can shoot receivers....they dont go bang. They are fairly useless until assembled.

That Mauser is a gun....working gun.

Dionysusigma
July 22, 2007, 04:56 AM
Voting is for which one should get sold off.

rangerruck
July 22, 2007, 05:25 AM
i'm wondering, what cart. does the stripped lower fire, and hows the recoil?
also , can you put a surpressor on it? It seems pretty reliable, in that , it has few moving parts, though.

Dionysusigma
July 22, 2007, 05:27 AM
:scrutiny:

nwilliams
July 22, 2007, 05:29 AM
I agree with many others on here, keep the Mauser. You can never have too many milsurps!

BusMaster007
July 22, 2007, 05:37 AM
Are you guys helping 'build' enthusiasm?
It isn't the ONLY gun in the closet for this guy...
Mauser Cons:
- Slow rate of fire (unless I completely forego aiming)
- All my ammo is corrosive
- Redundant role, as I pretty much own my dad's M1903A3
- More recoil than any new shooter will like

AR Pros:
- It's a modern(ish), autoloading design
- It'll be light and handy
- Fills a long-empty niche
- Easy to teach new shooters on

Sorry to be 'snippy', but it looks like the niche outweighs the need to keep a working firearm.
Then there's the fun of putting something together for 'new shooters'.

Regolith
July 22, 2007, 05:42 AM
I'm going with the AR-15. Should the SHTF in 2008/09, then you'll probably still be able to replace the Mauser with a similar gun. Can't say the same about the AR.

Radagast
July 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
If you are that broke, you can't afford to build the AR15, so sell it off and be done with it. Keep the gun you can shoot and shoot it, if you run out of cash again then you can sell that off when the ammo is gone and you can't afford to buy more.

Look on the bright side. If you go to school, later in life you will be able to afford a lot more guns.

dfaugh
July 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
Keep the Mauser-ditch the mousegun.

jkingrph
July 22, 2007, 09:45 AM
Keep the Mauser, the Yugo's are fine as '98's go. AS far as corrosive ammo, that's ok as long as you clean it good after shooting. Use water, preferably hot to rinse the salts out of the barrel, then oil. Remember there is plenty of non corrosive ammo out there.

If you want to hunt anything bigger than coyotes( some folks will say 223 is good for larger game) the 8mm will do fine for anything on this continent.

Put one of the better slip on recoil pads on, one of the leather ones, a good brand I think is Kick eze. It adds a little length and the leather wraps around giving a larger surface area, both of which reduce perceived recoil.

I have both , my two AR types are competition, varmit models and I would keep the Mauser any day vs the AR.

DMK
July 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
Ditch the Mauser. ;)

So... BTW, how much would you sell it for? :evil:

glockman19
July 22, 2007, 11:59 AM
"It's a complete, working gun" clinched it for me.
+2 Simple decision...Get rid of the part keep the functioning rifle.

JTW Jr.
July 22, 2007, 12:12 PM
Purchasing anything over $30.00 is a major investment for me. Seriously. as was mentioned is $30 is major , then the AR will take you a while to complete.

If that is the case , dump the reciever , stick with the Mauser , though surplus ammo ( 8mm ) aint plentiful and cheap like it used to be.

txgolfer45
July 22, 2007, 12:42 PM
Keep both and quit smoking! How much do you spend on cigs a week?

Ohio Rifleman
July 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
Another vote to dump the AR-15 lower. Your Mauser is a one-of-a kind with the trench art. How many thousands of identical AR-15 lowers are there? And it seems there's always someone here on THR who will sell you one if you want to buy another in the future.

woof
July 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
Since you seem about equally attached to both, I'd sell the one you can get more money for.

rbernie
July 22, 2007, 02:23 PM
Keep the one that's harder to replace in the future.

The AR-15 lower may not yet be a complete gun, but you may wish you'd kept it in a year or so.

Ned Flangers
July 22, 2007, 03:12 PM
I'd keep the lower and start saving your pennies to slowly buy parts. :)

tinygnat219
July 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
Keep the Mauser. It'll outlast that recycled wifflebat that's called a gun.

deadkenny
July 22, 2007, 09:01 PM
I go with what many other have said, if something's gotta go then keep the functioning rifle with plenty of ammo and ditch the 'part'. Essentially you can use the mauser for the cost of cleaning it (patches, solvent etc.) whereas the AR 'part' is a 'project' and not a cheap one at that.

cracked butt
July 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'd keep the mauser.
The stripped lower will be easier to sell, especially at a gun show.

The AR receiver will be much easier to replace
If you keep the receiver, You'll need another $500 to complete it, until then you just have an expensive paperweight.

Eightball
July 22, 2007, 09:59 PM
I ain't voting until I have a rough idea why one of the guns is leaving you. If you need money, if the S.O. said so, if you've run out of hiding places to store all of them.....?

It's just as hard to decide what to get rid of without knowing the right information as it is to recommend a purchase without the same.

Bazooka Joe71
July 22, 2007, 10:04 PM
You mentioned one of the cons for the Mauser is slow rate of fire...So tell me how fast the rate of fire is out of that stripped lower?:D

Keep the Mauser...Oh, by the way I accidentally voted for the Mauser, so one vote is out of place.:)

akolleth
July 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
Another vote for selling the Lower,

Your Yugo is only going to go up, up, up in value. You bought it at surplus prices, the AR-15 lower is simply at retail and will stagnate at that price for some time.

.45&TKD
July 23, 2007, 12:18 AM
Is your poll question which one to keep or which one to get rid of?

You're not exactly clear, ergo, how will you know the results?

But, since you need the money, I would keep the working gun. You can always get an AR15 later.

KodeFore
July 23, 2007, 03:02 AM
1. Keep Both. 2. Sell one to your dad, then you will still "Practically own it."

Is that lower considered a firearm if you sell it?

KodeFore
July 23, 2007, 03:08 AM
Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like the Yugo has a bent bolt, if thats the case, thats a big plus.

My vote would be to keep both. Baring that, the lower would prolly fetch more $$ and leave you with a better made harder hitting rifle.

FullEffect1911
July 23, 2007, 03:33 PM
1st: I love AR-15's. 2nd keep the Mauser.

If i had a choice between a working but old car, and a frame of a vehicle that i like but is common it wouldn't be much of a decision at all.

MrDig
July 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
I voted for the Lower to go, plain and simple it would require too much work and money to make the lower a working firearm.

ArmedBear
July 23, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have two stripped lowers, and parts for one of them.

They might have been a waste of money. Who knows?

In a year or two, though, a lower with a 2007 purchase date may be much harder to come by than a non-collectible milsurp Mauser.

In a state with "AW" restrictions, I have a different perspective.

OTOH, one could make a nice hunting rifle from that Mauser action...:D

fletcher
July 23, 2007, 04:56 PM
Ditch the lower, keep what you can use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupidity Strikes Again, and One's Gotta Go." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!