Ruger P95DC jaming

PDA

donttellthewife
July 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
First of all this is not my firearm, it belongs to my next door neighbor. He told me that he and his wife are having problems with it jamming. I took it to my range "as is" to see if I could replicate the jamming. 100 rounds no problems, then I deceided to do some limp wrist firing. That's when I could replicate the jamming. It always happened on the 7th or 8th shot on both factory 10 round mags. The jam was as the round was going into the chamber, to steep of an angle stopping the slide about an inch from lockup. Now I know a good grip is important but in a self defense situation that's not always possible, is this normal for the firearm.

Today I will be cleaning and inspecting and checking back here for advice

Thanks, Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P95DC jaming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
July 22, 2007, 04:38 PM
As you've found out for yourself, it's the shooter, not the gun. Any semi-automatic firearm must have a steady grip to prevent feeding/ejecting problems.

JohnKSa
July 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
I watched a shooter turn a polymer gun into a jammomatic during my last CHL qualification.

She was holding the gun in her strong hand at the extreme bottom of the grip and using her weak hand sort of cupped under the strong hand.

She was getting multiple jams per magazine. The gun was fine, but not with that grip.

wally
July 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
More reasons people who aren't going to put the effort into a lot of practice should stick with revolvers for self-defense.

--wally.

donttellthewife
July 22, 2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the input, I agree with everything posted. I will clean and oil the firearm ( perhaps polish the feed ramp ) and return it with an explanation of proper grip and the physics of motion involved.

Ron.

MudPuppy
July 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
My wife initiated mulitple jams with my Taurus first time out (5K+ rounds without a hiccup and she goes and embarrasses me at the range...)

Changed her grip and problem solved.

cajun47
July 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
my brother in law and i bought a p95 each one day. went shoot and my p95 jammed on the first 50 round box. his did not. over time i had a couple jams every hundred rounds or so. his did not. thats not the best part. when my ruger jams its a show stopper every time. it can't be easily cleared. i traded it for a 3.3 hp mercury.

limp wrist is a myth imo. i also have a ruger p89dc from the early 90's. i have shot well over 30,000 rounds through it. it rarely jammed but when it did it was a show stopper also.

some rugers are jam masters some aren't but all ruger jams in my experience where horrible. i had my sigma jam and it was easily cleared.

i finally got smart and im now the owner of 2 berretta 9mm handguns that work all the time, every time. always. they sell used for $300 at gun shows. fantastic.

Chrome
July 23, 2007, 02:57 PM
limp wrist is a myth imo.

Next time you are at the range, try this: Holding you gun loosely with one hand and a limp wrist, fire as fast as you can. I'd be willing to bet you can't finish the magazine before it jams.

Later,
Chrome...

cajun47
July 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
i tried everything including upside down limp. limp wrist is an excuse for a bad gun.

fletcher
July 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
At an IDPA match a couple weeks ago, we all had to use a range-owned XD9 for one of the stages. It fed completely fine for 20+ people until one shooter (with poor grip) had it jam on every shot. Upon quick instruction, the problem was fixed, and never recurred for the remaining 15 or so people.

It was not the gun; limp-wristing is a real problem.

chaim
July 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
limp wrist is a myth imo. i also have a ruger p89dc from the early 90's. i have shot well over 30,000 rounds through it. it rarely jammed

But that is a metal framed gun. Pistols with a steel or aluminium frame aren't completely immune to limp wristing, but they are more resistant. The lighter polymer pistols (like the P95) are much more susceptable to limp wristing.

marty1
July 23, 2007, 11:41 PM
I agree with one writer that "limp wrist" is an excuse for a bad pistol. I bought a Browning hi power 9 and it would jam one out of every 20 times. On several occasions the slide would stay open even though more rounds remained in the gun. The range officer and two"gunsmiths" told me it was limp wristing. I sent it to Browning and they did something they called a "minor repair". One year latter and hundreds of rounds not one jam. Limp wrist!!!

donttellthewife
July 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
Great info, here are some more questions

Would hotter ammo be helpful? I reload so I can customize ammo to the gun.
I have many handgun powders available to try as well.

Would limp wristing effect how far the case is ejected? I would assume so.

For those who beleive it a myth, it many not have been the problem that you encountered but I am convinced it exsists.

Thanks again, Ron

Blue .45
July 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
limp wrist is a myth imo.

What are some of the other reasons the same gun would jam repeatedly with one shooter, but work flawlessly for another shooter?

JohnKSa
July 24, 2007, 01:10 AM
What are some of the other reasons the same gun would jam repeatedly with one shooter, but work flawlessly for another shooter?Excellent question. The answer is that there aren't any other reasons.

Princi
July 24, 2007, 01:54 AM
Now I know a good grip is important but in a self defense situation that's not always possible,...

I would almost bet that an a self-defensive situation that limp-wristing would not be a problem. Now crushing the polymer frame with the death grip you might have on the pistol...

asknight
July 24, 2007, 01:57 AM
Ruger uses quite strong recoil springs in their handguns compared to some other brands.... so limp wristing is real and will show to be a problem in a Ruger before some other brands.

donttellthewife
July 24, 2007, 02:04 AM
Princi,
Good point
I was thinking along the lines of having to shoot with your weak hand, I really don't practice that enough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P95DC jaming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!