What would you do?

PDA

svtruth
July 22, 2007, 05:33 PM
Shooting at an unsupervised range w another guy, wind blows the targets out of the holders.
Safe every thing?
Put guns down and fix targets?
Other?
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fast Frank
July 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure I understand the nature of your question.

The one sure thing Is the fact that I would not walk out to the targets unless the firing line is clear.

If I could not clear the firing line, then I don't want to be there in the first place and I would load up and go home.

bluetopper
July 22, 2007, 05:45 PM
Yes, you're right. What else would you do? I shoot at an unsupervised outdoor range exclusively. If I want to go and check a target, I wait till a pause in shooting and ask the other folks if I can go down. Of course they say, sure.

Simple as that.

Bazooka Joe71
July 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
My range is unsupervised as well...Luckily for me, my range is mainly a skeet range, with one secluded pistol range and one secluded rifle range...No one is hardly ever there...

I'm not totally sure of your question though....What else would you need to do besides laying your weapons down in a safe direction and fixing the targets?

glockman19
July 22, 2007, 05:55 PM
I would handle it just like a supervised range.
1) Unload gun
2) remove magazines
3) open action
4) Point down range or away from targets

chaim
July 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
Are you asking if we'd feel comfortable leaving our guns unattended? If so, consider that even at a range with range officers, there are quite a few shooters (and sometimes spectators) per range officer, just about everyone will be there with guns and the range officer won't always have his eye on your table or know which guns belong to whom. Whenever I have to change targets, I am slightly nervous about it, but I just try to keep an eye on the line to insure my guns don't "walk off."

In your scenario, you are there with another guy. Do you mean another shooter on the range, or a member of your own party? If he is a member of my party, no big deal- leave him with the guns (after making the guns safe) and do what I have to do with the targets. If he is just another shooter I don't know, agree upon a cease fire and keep an eye on my guns as I go fix the targets.

larry_minn
July 22, 2007, 07:33 PM
unsupervised range .. That to me says the gun goes into my holster loaded when I change targets. Others shooting either unload/leave guns alone or holster them (and leave them alone)

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!