Bushmaster Jammed Bolt

PDA

koja48
July 22, 2007, 09:54 PM
Had a round bind-up the bolt on my AR today. Didn’t attempt to fire because the slam of the action didn’t sound quite right when it closed (plus, I was checking both the mag-fed round & the one below it in the magazine for bullet movement between shots). Ejected it with some difficulty, measured OAL – dead-on. Disassembled rifle, bolt, examined & cleaned same (had only put 15-20 rounds thru since last complete strip-down & cleaning). No revelations there. Reassembled, loaded another from the same batch of 4 ), with the same results (only change between this work-up batch & the previous 3 batches was a slightly increased powder charge @ 0.2 grains at a time and NO indications of excess pressure during the previous firings, plus I weighed EVERY charge). The round ejected with some difficulty.

Tried the same length OAL rounds I had been using previously & it functioned flawlessly – same brass, same CCI 41 primers, same Hornady 50 grain ballistic tips, same Remington 1-fire brass (all brass at or below 1.760 in length prior to priming & charging) identical seating depths (bullets, primers). Neck ODs were identical.

When I got home, I re-measured; after I pulled bullets, I discovered the 2 that jammed were significantly longer than the rest in that box. Resized the 2 cases & reseated the bullets as dummy rounds; same results. Seated them a few thousandths deeper, loaded them in the magazine & everything worked fine (Redding full-length resizer & competition seating die).

The only conclusion I can draw is that since I had seated all 4 batches used today not as deeply as my old loads to decrease bullet jump (these were at 2.258 COL & OAL was well within the 1.903 chamber length of the rifle), the “extra” length of the bullets created a slightly greater COL & didn’t feed from the mag cleanly, & prevented the bolt lugs from fully engaging.

Went back to the range with rounds seated at the new shorter OAL/COL & everything worked without a hitch. On the plus side, being extra-attentive when working-up & shooting new loads pays dividends!

Any theories?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Jammed Bolt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Jammed Bolt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!