of the prices!

M24/47 and M48 Yugo's for $350 plus.

Garands for $1300 to $5000.

M1 carbines for $1300 and up.

My first $700 dollar SKS.

Mosin Nagants for $200 and up.

Ammo was nearly non existent.

What a bust.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rugerdude
July 23, 2007, 12:55 AM
Well, do you think anybody sold anything?

EVERYONE at gunshows thinks that the whole place is full of suckers and that they'll believe that their yugo SKS killed hitler and JFK.

Make them an offer, if they think you're crazy, then say "hey bud, I can get that mosin for 70 bucks online, and that yugo mauser for 120."

I've never seen prices that bad, but I believe them. Most people add anywhere from 50-200 bucks to the sane price of the gun hoping some rich idiot will happen by and want their gun.

Best bet is to find someone who is selling from their personal collection. A guy who needs to stay in buisness by making a certain amount on each sale isn't going to be talked down very far, but a normal joe who wants to get rid of some guns and make some quick cash will be far more reasonable if you are nice and polite.

Oh, I just noticed where you were at. california being what it is will also adversely affect the cost of anything firearm related.

Guitargod1985
July 23, 2007, 01:12 AM
That's rather peculiar. Usually when I go to the shows, I can find quite a few guns for between wholesale and retail - most of which are new or barely used.

Daemon688
July 23, 2007, 01:18 AM
It's because you live in California.

Ala Dan
July 23, 2007, 12:05 PM
Last gun show I attended (OCT. '06) prices were extremely high ($895
for a WW-II G.I. parts .30 caliber carbine, as an example); and most of
the seller's were just old farts sitting a'round sipping milk and eating their
favorite brand of oatmeal cookies~! :eek::uhoh::(;)

40SW
July 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
Gunshow prices are really high in my area, I guess the dealers think that they can gauge the novice laypeople. Those in the gun culture probably know better, . I understand that dealers have to pay for travel and set up, table fees to the venue holder, etc, etc., but some of the prices are insane.
I go for the social aspect to be with friends. Good literature I can find there, accessories, etc, sometimes I will be something C&R /surplus related. ie, SKS, CZ52, Makarov, K98 mauser, etc, etc, but I would never buy a new firearm at a show unless it was priced right. Many of these shows gave Glocks over $600, when my gunshop is $500, etc, etc, so usually I see prices 10-25% higher. , but for books, magazines, holsters, weird stuff that gun shops dont usually stock, I'm there.

DoubleTapDrew
July 23, 2007, 12:27 PM
most of
the seller's were just old farts sitting a'round sipping milk and eating their
favorite brand of oatmeal cookies~!
They do that to keep us peons away so they'll only have to put down their milk and cookies to speak with the "serious collectors". I stopped going to gun shows. I can walk away dissapointed and $15 poorer at places closer to home.

hankpac
July 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
The days when gun shows were swap meets with way low prices, bulk ammo components at bargain prices, and lots of accessories for dirt cheap is long gone. At 35-50 bucks a table, per day, those buys with the entire end of a row need to sell lots of guns just to pay for the space, let alone make a buck on each firearm.
Gun shows arent the big threat that the anti's think they are: they are going to price themselves out of existance on their own.
On-line deals on firearms forums are going to be the best means of getting a fiar price, and there are lots of problems with that means of obtaining.
I am glad I did my basic armory buying a long time ago, in the 70's and 80's.
I bought arms that are lifetime purchases, and never had any trouble.
Still got one of everything, and don't need to waste my time at overpriced, recalcitrant-dealer shows.

jeff-10
July 23, 2007, 12:47 PM
Gun shows here tend to have lower prices than the gun shops. Problem is that lots of people have unrealistic prices expectations.

strat81
July 23, 2007, 12:59 PM
I almost thought you went to the show I was at this weekend! I was in Albion, NE which has a small gun show as part of its county fair.
I too saw the $200 M44 Mosin-Nagant.
Some other stuff I saw:
$20 AR-15 30rd mag. I *think* it's from Afghanistan, because it looked like a bomb hit it. Maybe Gulf War I.
$450 Romanian WASR-10. A real AK, I swear! You can't get these no more!
$30 AK-47 30rd steel mag. I guess the AWB is still in effect in that guy's world.
$12 9mm WWB 50 rd pack. Wal-Mart? What's Wal-Mart?
$400 Saiga 7.62x39. It's from Russia. And they're, like, THE BEST.
$20 for miscellaneous 1911 magazines. Possibly from WWI from the looks of it.

I picked up some .223 for $6/box and a 5rd Norinco AK mag for $10. Not the best deals, but good enough. Do these vendors know the internet exists? Do they know that Midway and Brownell's have been around longer than the web, and have real paper catalogs and a phone number you can order through?

Colt
July 23, 2007, 01:49 PM
My pet peeve is how dealers talk about the internet.

When they want $1400 for their beat-to-hell M1 carbine, they justify the price with "have you seen what these go for on the internet?"

But when I ask for a fair price for my 1911, they smirk, roll their eyes, and say "sounds like somebody's been playing on the internet."

There's nothing more annoying that smug ignorance, except for maybe downright fraud.

July 23, 2007, 03:21 PM
I was at that show as well. I figure it cost me $.50 a minute, $8.00 to get in and 15 minutes to see everything. :banghead: Glad my son was 12 and got in for free.

Prices were obscene and I'm used to stupid prices at gunshows in California. I wouldn't have even gone but my son and I were going into gun withdrawal. After the show he was so disappointed that I took him to Sportsman's Warehouse where we spent more time, saw more guns and cost us nothing.

Troutman
July 23, 2007, 04:13 PM
Let’s not cheat the hang-man.
The gun shows (that I have been to) are like the person on a horse who is trying to compete with the train (trying to prove) as the best, fastest, most comfortable method of transportation, in today’s world. Those vendors not accepting, that the “train” exists. Carpet-bagging (in term of reference).
Sign of the times. Internet, gun-store chains, all-in-one, one stop shopping centers, pawn shops. Some of these things have been around longer than others, but everyone knows of them.
There are three things these vendors can do, when they realize the train (exists) is coming by.
Keep going as fast as possible, hoping not to get run over by the train, step aside to let it go by, or jump on the train as it goes by.
As good as they are pushing the products they sell, so they think, time will tell, which method they decided to choose.

tmajors
July 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
My first $700 dollar SKS.

What the hell. I thought my local Cabela's was insane enough trying to sell a used norinco sks for $399

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!