My List of Weapons that fire multiple forms of ammo

PDA

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 03:48 AM
I've done some research on weapons that can fire multiple forms of ammo and created a list. You'll see that each weapon uses at least one form of ammo as the weapon listed below it. It's just a list. A fun exercise in learning about different calibers and their uses.

1. A Marlin Model Golden 39A Lever Action .22 Rifle can fire .22 LR, .22 Long, or .22 Short.
2. A Browning High Power 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol can be converted to fire .22LR and back to 9mm again (without a gunsmith) with the use of a Conversion kit consisting of a slide and magazine.
3. A Ruger Blackhawk Revolver can fire 9mm ammo, .38 Special ammo and .357 Magnum ammo with the use of 2 interchangeable cylinders.
4. A Marlin Model 1894C Lever Action Rifle can fire .38 Special ammo, .38 Long Colt ammo and .357 Magnum ammo.

Are the above statements true?

Here is what I wanted in this list:
-I want this list to be as short as possible while still fulfilling all of these requirements.

-Each weapon has to fire at least one of the following ammo: .22LR, 9mm, .357 Magnum, .308.

-Each weapon also has to fire at least one other form of ammo. I would prefer its second ammo to be on the list of ammo above.

-At least one handgun (preferably semi-auto) and at least one rifle (preferably semi-auto or lever action).

-If the rifle on the list has magazines I'd like it to be compatible with the handgun.

-No single shot firearms.

-No weapons that the untrained anti-gun complainer would see as an assault weapon because all they know about firearms is from movies. In their eyes AK's = terrerist, AR's = Survivialist or crazy gun loving hermit that lives in a van down by the river.

-I didn't want any of the guns to need modifying by a gunsmith.

-I want to stay away from polymers as much as possible.

Also I can't seem to find a carbine that uses 9mm and other forms of ammo.
Are there any carbines that can use Browning High Power magazines?
The Ruger Blackhawk is the only handgun that I could find that fired 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum without calling on a gunsmith.
I want to find something that can make the transition from the .357 to the .308, but that's apples and oranges. Who knows. I once thought the transition from 9mm to .357 was apples and oranges.

This list is still being formed and is open to suggestion. Can you suggest a weapon that meets the requirements that I am using?

Any tips, thoughts, advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "My List of Weapons that fire multiple forms of ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 04:12 AM
Forgot to mention certain calibers had to be on the list:
.22LR
9mm
.357 Magnum

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 04:15 AM
One way to look at this list is a person can fire 7 different forms of ammo with these 4 weapons.

The way I like to look at is a person with these 4 weapons would essentially have 12 weapons:
1 weapon that fires .22 Long
1 weapon that fires .22 Short
2 weapons that fire .22LR
2 weapons that fire 9mm
2 weapons that fire .38 Special
2 weapons that fire .357
1 weapon that fires .38 Long Colt

MisterPX
July 23, 2007, 04:59 AM
Get an AR15 lower to fire a whole slew of calibers. Get an MGS Ar lower to fire even more.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 05:07 AM
MisterPX, would you go into detail please? I'm not understanding what you are saying. I know what an AR-15 is. What's a lower? And what does MGS stand for?

Thanks

rangerruck
July 23, 2007, 05:14 AM
keltec , also in ruger and smith and wesson mag versions.

rangerruck
July 23, 2007, 05:17 AM
almost all 1911's noiw, have a ceiner conversion to shoot 22's. Ceiner proly makes a browning hi power version as well.
cz type weapons also have a kadet 22lr conversion.
Mgi military sales make multiple ar lowers , that use diff size magwells, to shoot anything from 22lr size mags and ammo , up to 50 cal.

rangerruck
July 23, 2007, 05:18 AM
almost any weapon, chambered for 357, can also fire 38.
also weapons firing 45 long colt, a bunch of the can also fire 410 shotgun.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 05:31 AM
Yes the keltec sub-2000 comes in Smith and Wesson 59 mag version, but I couldn't find a Ruger version at the Kel Tec site. I'd go for the Smith and Wesson 59 if I can find enough positive feedback on it. It seems the Glock 17 has more people singing its praises.

I couldn't find a 9mm carbine that takes browning high power mags. I like the browning high power though.

I want to have a 9mm carbine on the list that can swap magazines with the pistol on the list, whatever that pistol ends up being. I'd like the carbine to have wood instead of plastic if at all possible. I considered the Camp Carbine, but I cannot find anyone that recommends the S&W 659 that it can share mags with.

I'm not into the AR's or anything that can be mistaken for an assault weapon. The PC looking cowboy or hunter look is what I'm interested in. 1. I like the way the look. 2. I won't get suspicious looks from the anti-gun people that live all around me. Thanks for the input though.

kingpin008
July 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
Enter - Mister PX was referring to the modular beauty of the AR-15 system. The "lower" refers to the lower reciever, which is considered the "gun" by the ATF. All AR's consist of a lower AND and "upper" reciever. They are seperate from one another, and can be interchanged with relative ease. (remove a pin, remove upper, done)

What that means, is that you can have a standard-configuration AR (5.56 NATO), remove the upper, and replace it with any number of different caliber uppers. Besides the standard 5.56 caliber upper, you can easily find 9mm uppers, .50 Beowulf, 6.8, .460 Rowland (I think), .22lr, etc, etc, etc..

So, long story short - Once you find a lower that you like, that's all you'd have to do as far as going through a dealer. Since upper recievers aren't considered the "gun" part of the AR, you can have them ship[ped directly to you. Very nice system.

40SW
July 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
Also, 45Colt----45 Schofield
454 Cassul-45 Colt.
460SW-- see above, use 454 and 45C
32H&R Mag, ----32 S&W/Colt.
Many pistols chambered for .40SW, swipe out the barrel and replace with .357SIG barrel and use the same magazines, same frame, same slide, rememember that a .357SIG is a .40SW necked down (Some glocks/sigs). (not all, but some. ).

baz
July 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
I don't see how #3 qualifies; it is still firing the same ammo, just using a magazine from a different gun.

Any 357 magnum qualifies for this list (i.e. not just the Marlin in #5).

And there are lots of guns not on the list, that could be. The Taurus 4510 comes to mind; a couple of threads about it recently, and I'm hearing gun shops say it is selling well. There are various over/under models of long arms that would qualify.

hcddog
July 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
If I remember correctly, isn't it possible to covert a Glock 23 to shoot .40, 9mm, and .380 with conversion barrels/magazines, etc?

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 01:33 PM
I updated the original post to more clearly define what it is I'm trying to do with this list.

baz
July 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
I updated the original post to more clearly define what it is I'm trying to do with this list.OK, I've reread the OP. I missed the part about "as the weapon listed below it." But even with the update, I still don't see how #3 satisfies the following:Each weapon also has to fire at least one other form of ammo. I would prefer its second ammo to be on the list of ammo above.Just because you can covert a Glock to fire 22, and the Keltec can take Glock mags, that doesn't mean that you can fire 22 through the Keltec. Am I wrong?

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 01:57 PM
baz, you're right. The kel tec does not qualify as a multi ammo weapon. I wanted a carbine in there and the kel tec comes closest to what I like in a carbine. I'll take it off. Thanks for the observation.

Stump Water
July 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
Well... if you want "cowboy" there's the Bond Arms derringers. With an Allen wrench (hex key), another set of barrels and two minutes you can change caliber/ammo. Most any pistol cal. from .22 LR to .45 Colt.

baz
July 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
I think the requirement that a weapon has to support more than one caliber is what makes it hard to come up with a good list along these lines. In my own firearm acquisition strategies, I've tried to minimize the number of calibers I have to buy or load ammo for. So, for example, I've got pistols and carbines that will shoot 9mm. I also have revolvers in 357, and would love to have one of those Ruger Blackhawks that swap out the cylinder to fire either 357 or 9mm. Then add a lever action in 357, and I'd have a pretty good selection of firearms centered on two calibers (three, if you count 38 spl). But with the exception of the Ruger, they would all be limited to one or the other of 9mm and 357/38.

In terms of your list, even the Marlin 39 does not really count, IMO, as a "multiple ammo" weapon. Sure, it more than just the 22LR, but what, really, are the utilitarian value of 22 Long or Short? The Glock conversion is limited to 22LR (I think). So none of the other guns on the list share the ability to shoot the 22 Long or Short.

As for the utility of converting the 9mm Glock to 22LR, I like that feature, but would never use it as a reason not to own a separate 22 semiauto pistol (like my Buckmark camper). Faced with choosing one or the other -- spending money either on a separate 22 semiauto pistol, or the Glock conversion, IMO the choice is a nobrainer: give me the 22 pistol, and now I have two handguns, not just one.

It will be hard, I think, to work a genuine rifle caliber into your list -- like the 308 -- that is usable in a common handgun, most of all one that could use more than one caliber of ammo. I can think of a couple of handguns chambered for 308, but not usable with a second caliber of ammo.

Interesting question. I've enjoyed thinking about this.

ArfinGreebly
July 23, 2007, 03:22 PM
While it may seem that .38 special and .357 mag are "different" calibers, what is actually different is the case length.

The true diameter of both .38 special and .357 mag is really .357 inches. The .357 mag case is 1/10 inch longer than the .38 special.

There's a whole story (which has probably only been reviewed four or five dozen times on The High Road) of why something measuring .357 inches would be called ".38 special" and what other kinds of .38 there are.

So, in general, anything labeled ".357 magnum" should also be able to handle .38 special. Certain rifles might have an issue with that, because of the way rounds are fed from the tubular magazine. Revolvers will generally have no problems, as there is no "feed" mechanism in a revolver.

Ruger's .357/9mm Blackhawk uses a second cylinder for the 9mm (that's 9x19 Luger/Parabellum/NATO) to handle the significant differences in the cases (9mm is shorter and rimless, so won't work in the standard cylinder). I've been told that, while shooting 9mm from the Blackhawk is fun, some accuracy is sacrificed, having to do with the two thousanths difference in diameter (9mm is .355 inches, slightly smaller than .357).

Sorry for the diversion, but the world of calibers has gotchas, like "different" calibers that are really the same, and "same" calibers that are really different.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 03:31 PM
Is there a double action revolver out there that can swap out cylinders like the Ruger Blackhawk so it can fire both 9mm and .357?

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 03:36 PM
baz, the requirement that the weapon be able to support more that one ammo is mainly for training purposes. I'd like to have a less expensive training ammo. Also it's easier to get my wife interested if there is a less powerful ammo to start on. It also helps that there is another form of ammo that the weapon can use if I'm ever in a situation where I cannot obtain more ammo, be it a financial reason, a post-Katrina like reason, etc.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
baz, also... the Glock and the .22 Marlin can be seen as complimentary set. And the Blackhawk and the Marlin 1894C can be seen as another set. Kind of like what you are suggesting. Thanks for the input.

Hawk
July 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
It's likely stretching the intent of the OP past what was intended but the Wild West Co-Pilot chambers .457WW Mag and 45-70. The Magnum Research BFR chambers 45-70 and, with an extra cylinder, the Marlin .450.

A 45-70 revolver / rifle combo. Hmmmm.
The 21st century's answer to the Colt Walker, perhaps?

Beatnik
July 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
Is there a double action revolver out there that can swap out cylinders like the Ruger Blackhawk so it can fire both 9mm and .357?

Unfortunately, I haven't run into one yet.

My dad has a ruger single-six 22 magnum revolver which can have the cylinder swapped out for 22 LR/ 22 Long/ 22 Short. The 22 magnum is a substantially different case and can't be used in the same cylinder - but it's really fun to shoot.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 03:56 PM
Hawk, cool setup. I like the versatility. That's 3 different ammos across 2 different weapons with one ammo overlapping the 2 weapons. If those forms of ammo were on my list I'd look in to that combo. Thanks for the info.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'm swapping out the Glock with the Browning High Power since I no longer have the Kel-Tec sub-2000 on the list. The two reasons the Glock was on the list is because so many people I've talked to like it and because it had ammo and magazines that were compatible with the sub-2000. I'll change the original post.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 10:00 PM
I'm guessing there are no conversion kits for 9mm carbines or rifles to fire other ammo. Does anyone know of one? Thanks

whitetiger7654
July 23, 2007, 11:17 PM
The Glocks have aftermarket .22 conversion kits. Also certain glocks are capable of shooting .40, .357, and 9mm with barrel and magazine change.

Uzi's come in 9, .45, and .22 options.

AR's have .223, .22, and 9mm options.

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 11:53 PM
whitetiger7654,

Also certain glocks are capable of shooting .40, .357, and 9mm with barrel and magazine change

Do you mean .357 Sig or Magnum?

whitetiger7654
July 24, 2007, 12:13 AM
sig

If you enjoyed reading about "My List of Weapons that fire multiple forms of ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!