How does your AK treat the ejected casings?

PDA

TheDisturbed1
July 23, 2007, 08:02 AM
Okay... so I plan on getting into reloading... and so my WASR-3 eats the .223 ammo which has a marvelous price these days.

When my AK ejects the casing, it sometimes bends the top of the case (where the bullet was), and it has a fairly sized impact mark from the ejector.

The rifle functions flawlessly... no complaints there. but is this normal? how does your AK treat its empty casings? (all makes / models)

If you enjoyed reading about "How does your AK treat the ejected casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22_Shooter
July 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
From what I've heard, it is normal. As far as the marks, watch this vid and you can see the shell get slammed to the back when it's ejecting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU

sharkhunter2018
July 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
My WASR-10 GP doesn't ding up cases at all. I keep hearing about AK's messing up cases. I have no idea what yall are talking about...:rolleyes::)

MD_Willington
July 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
Some Valmet rifles have a buffer attached to the top cover to address the denting.

gunsmithgirl
July 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
I have 3. My original Russian AK and my SLR (manf. by Aresonal) both in 7.62 x 39 do not ding up brass very bad. However my Saiga in .308 really does quite the job on brass, leaves dents in every one.

TheDisturbed1
July 24, 2007, 06:09 PM
yea, the mark my WASR always leaves is on the bottom rim... I dont know if thats a red flag for reloading or not.

kcmarine
July 24, 2007, 06:19 PM
My 7.62x39 Saiga treats brass like Johnny Knoxville treats rental cars.

Jackass the Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvOId2264o)

Any questions?

dawgtraxx
July 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
my wasr 10 dings em a little

cslinger
July 24, 2007, 06:57 PM
No idea, since once they are ejected they land somewhere in the next county. Some might possibly be in orbit at this time. If any of them make a re-entry I will let you know. :neener:

Actually neither my VEPR or SAR-1 booger brass up all that much. My PTR on the other hand mangles them pretty good, but also sends them into the next county.

RockyMtnTactical
July 24, 2007, 07:27 PM
I don't think I have seen an AK that doesn't mar the cases after ejecting them.

goon
July 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
My Lancaster Romanian dings up the mouth a little but not too bad for reloading. It also tosses some into the next zip code but some of them land just a few feet away.
But even with that, the brass is totally useable out of it and if I wind up keeping it (currently for sale to free up cash) I am probably going to eventually try reloading for it.

Grunt
July 24, 2007, 08:18 PM
Having several AKs, I have some that don't damage cases that bad and others that treat the cases like the Germans treat the French! Although that is with the cases I actually manage to find. The AK is not known for making case recovery easy!

Guitargod1985
July 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
My GP WASR 10 kinda scrapes the casings during cycling, but I'm not sure if the casings are scraped while being removed from the mag or when the casings are on their way out. As for dings - never had a problem.

TheDisturbed1
July 25, 2007, 12:06 AM
haha +1 on finding shells in the next state.

realistically, i think its about 30 feet and over is how far it flings the poor brass... my grandad was spotting for me at my last range visit, and a casing hit his finger and nearly broke skin!

all in all, 2 out of 3 from all the casings i find are probably usable for reloading

ndh87
July 25, 2007, 12:12 AM
I've never noticed that my WASR-10 dings up casings, but then again i have never shot any brass case ammo.

railroader
July 25, 2007, 07:56 AM
My saiga dings up brass case ammo pretty bad. If you watch the posted video you can see where the brass hits right above the bolt handle. On my saiga the edge where the brass hits was sharp so I took a file and rounded it out slightly. Now my brass has a slight dent instead of a major crease. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU Mark

SSN Vet
July 25, 2007, 12:50 PM
On my saiga the edge where the brass hits was sharp

Railroader,

did you file on the bolt carrier or on the receiver cover?

got a picture?

22_Shooter
July 25, 2007, 02:59 PM
Just went and fired off 5 rounds to see if my Saiga does this. I was standing in grass about 1" tall, but it was throwing the shells WAY into the deeper grass, so I couldn't find any:cool:.

Sonora Rebel
July 25, 2007, 03:55 PM
My Norinco will put a small dent in the forward casing just below the neck. I suspect it may be the casing hanging on the R/F edge of the magazine when it's chambered. The little dent seems to correspond with this area.

As for throwing the brass... mine ejects about 20' or so to the right front at about a 30 deg angle to the barrel.

Dave R
July 26, 2007, 12:15 AM
My SAR-3, which is first cousin to your WASR-3, used to ding brass pretty well.

Instead of buying a buffer, you can make one, like I did. I just got a pad that was soft on one side, and adhesive on the other side, and cut it to fit behind the ejection port for about 2". Cured most of the dinging. I think the pad I bought was for the bottom of furniture, or something.

Also, be aware that empty cases with minor dings can still be reloaded. Your resizing die will fix minor dings right up. If more than about 1/3 of the case mouth is dinged, maybe not. But under 1/4 of the case mouth is definitely reloadable.

railroader
July 26, 2007, 01:24 AM
SSNvet, I filed on the bolt carrier, just rounded the sharp edge a little right above the bolt handle.. I don't have a picture but if you look at where the extractor is, the shell flips out hitting right above the bolt handle just like in the video. Mark

TheDisturbed1
July 26, 2007, 03:22 AM
Just went and fired off 5 rounds to see if my Saiga does this. I was standing in grass about 1" tall, but it was throwing the shells WAY into the deeper grass, so I couldn't find any.
lol do what i did:

get someone to hold a 5 gallon bucket over the ejection port ;)

MD_Willington
July 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
... an assualt bucket ...

:what:

I hope it's registered, for the children ya know :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "How does your AK treat the ejected casings?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!