Should I check the serial number on my CCW?

PDA

tnieto2004
July 23, 2007, 04:11 PM
I bought a used Springfield XD .. It was a real quick transaction and no bill of sale .. I began to think about what if I am carrying around a HOT gun .. Should I take it up to the police station or call it in somewhere? Anyone else have this problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I check the serial number on my CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
exar
July 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
Not much you can do now. You can keep it and if the police ever come asking about it you could tell them who sold it to you and they'll take it. You could run a stolen weapons check and if it turns up stolen they'll take it. Either way, the time to find out if it's stolen is before the buy. Not much you can do. Personally I would just not worry about it. If the cops come for it, then you learned an expensive lesson. The only way that you would be in real trouble would be if the state could prove intent to buy a stolen firearm.

fletcher
July 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

DoubleTapDrew
July 23, 2007, 04:29 PM
Either way, the time to find out if it's stolen is before the buy.

Don't most PDs require you to bring the firearm in to the station to run a check on it?

exar
July 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
I know here in IN, you can sell a firearm face to face legally with no required anything. I hand you cash and you hand me gun. That's it. Personally, when I sell a gun I make invoice's for both parties listing the cost, serial #, and model and both people sign all copies.

MinnMooney
July 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
Don't know where tnieto2004 is from but ..Don't most PDs require you to bring the firearm in to the station to run a check on it?
Not in MN.
A private sale requires no paper work.

kellyj00
July 23, 2007, 04:42 PM
not your problem, even if it was stolen from a cop. Odds are, you'll never have the serial number checked anyhow...unless you commit a crime or use it in self-defense. In which case, you've got enough other legal crap to worry about that telling them you bought it from an individual intra-state isn't going to be an issue.

Kilgor
July 23, 2007, 04:43 PM
If you had just had an XD stolen would you want him to check it?

DoubleTapDrew
July 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
Don't most PDs require you to bring the firearm in to the station to run a check on it?

Not in MN.
A private sale requires no paper work.

It's the same way here with respect to private sales and paperwork. What I meant is if you wanted to run the SN to determine if it was stolen or not before purchasing, I thought most police departments required you to physically bring the gun in (probably so they can make sure to get it if it is stolen) which might be hard to do before purchasing it.

exar
July 23, 2007, 05:20 PM
I thought most police departments required you to physically bring the gun in

Some FFL's will do the check for you. You will need to bring the gun in. If you are running the #'s on a prospective purchase then this would obviously need to be thought out before hand. If you're worried about buying stolen guns, then you can't just make a deal at the drop of a hat. I just buy from people who have a good rep and wouldn't be selling me stolen guns.

fatelk
July 23, 2007, 05:32 PM
I had a couple guns stolen from me some years ago, still haven't given up the faint hope that they may still turn up some day.

Yes, if I had a gun that I had the faintest suspicion might be "hot", I would get it checked out. I would think it would be better sooner than later. Sure, it would be an expensive loss if it turned up stolen, but for me it would be worth it to do the right thing.

I despise thieves. I would rather give away $1000 than have $10 stolen from me. One of the guns that was stolen was on it's way to the gunsmith's with a very serious headspace problem. I can't help but hope that perhaps it blew up on the dirtbag who took it. Did I mention that I have a very low opinion of thieves?

mpmarty
July 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
Our local SO will do a serial number check over the phone with no questions asked. Go to a pay phone and call the local LEO and give them make model and serial number. When it comes back clear you can sleep better at night.

tnieto2004
July 24, 2007, 12:57 AM
I may call from a pay phone .. I am just wanting to make SURE it is not gonna come back to haunt me ..

Ala Dan
July 24, 2007, 02:48 AM
No check on private party [face to face] transfer in Alabama, either. You
deliver the weapon; and I deliver the cash, a gentlemans hand shake and
we are on our merry way~! :uhoh:;):D

Kilgor
July 24, 2007, 03:05 AM
Why call from a pay phone unless you intend to keep the weapon even if it is stolen? Why not just say piss on whomever this weapon REALLY belongs to and just go on with life? :scrutiny:

By the way, don't speed or commit any traffic infractions while carrying this weapon. When pulled over most states require you to notify the officer and he may run the serial number and put you in cuffs at gunpoint if stolen. Oh and definitely don't get hurt and require an ambulance ride while carrying, because the police may take temporary custody of the weapon then too. And so it goes.

Just call and if it's stolen do the right thing and return the item and try to help the police nab the POS that sold it to you. If it turns out to be fine (likely) then you can rest easy and not have that nagging thought in the back of your head. :)

Worst case scenario (unlikely) you are out ~$400 and the rightful owner gets his weapon back. That's not the end of the world.

tnieto2004
July 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
I called it from my cell phone.. CLEAN! I shall sleep better tonight!

orionengnr
July 28, 2007, 08:20 PM

No, not here.
But I only buy from and sell to people who have a CHL or an FFL. Or a badge.

Just me.

jmr40
July 28, 2007, 09:14 PM
Every state is different, but I began to have second thoughts about a gun I bought used once and I called a friend of mine who was a cop. Gave him the brand, caliber and serial number. He logged onto his home computer and ran it for me and it was not reported stolen. He told me that if it had come up stolen that he would have to come and pick up the gun, now. In fact his dept. policy was that he should have the gun in hand before checking, but he knew I would gladly give him the gun if it were stolen.

That is not to say that the gun could not be reported as stolen later. But I have a witness who will testify that 2 years ago we checked.

I read on another forum a few years ago of a hunter who had his rifle conficated when he crossed into Canada because the rifle was reported stolen. He had returned the rifle to the factory for repairs and was able to produce a reciept showing he owned the gun before it was reported stolen. It seems the original owner sold the gun and a few years later his home was broken into. When he filed his insurance he added a few items to the list that he no longer owned.

gezzer
July 29, 2007, 01:05 AM
But I only buy from and sell to people who have a CHL or an FFL. Or a badge.
Good way to get a stolen gun.

markk
July 29, 2007, 06:57 AM
When pulled over most states require you to notify the officer and...

MOST...
That would be no on both counts...

CajunBass
July 29, 2007, 06:58 AM
What made you think it might be stolen?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I check the serial number on my CCW?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!