Please recommend a .308 rifle or carbine

PDA

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
Hi, Can any of you recommend a .308 semi-automatic or lever action (if there is such a thing as a lever action .308) rifle or carbine. I'm looking for something that can hold several rounds, but I'm not looking for a bolt action. Physical reasons with the hands. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Please recommend a .308 rifle or carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grafsk8er
July 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
is browning's blr chambered in .308? maybe, let me check

yup, it is, both pistol and straight stock. here's a picture of the straight stock

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=006

Acera
July 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
M1A

RNB65
July 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
Here's a few. None are cheap.

M1A, FAL, AR10, Browning BAR, Remington 750.

Father Knows Best
July 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
For what? Paper punching? Hunting?

GunNut
July 23, 2007, 10:25 PM
Browning BAR(semi-auto) or BLR(Lever Action) if you are looking mostly for a hunting type weapon.

M1A, FAL, AR10 or Saiga if looking for a more military type weapon.

Steve

MassMark
July 23, 2007, 10:40 PM
M1a Scout....

Enter_Narne
July 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm liking the Browning semi-automatic. Do any of you know if they have any mags in higher capacities?

trstafford
July 23, 2007, 11:13 PM
Remington 7400 and you can get 10 round mags

Deaf Smith
July 23, 2007, 11:17 PM
If it's for hunting, a Remington or Browning .308 simi-auto. For fighting a FAL or M1A.

I sure wish Remington would make their Police .308 patrol carbine (which is a pump) a simi-auto, 18 inch barrel (16 is just to short for that .308!), a Remington 10 shot mag, and options for a good scope.

GunTech
July 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
The unfortunate part about both the BAR and the Remington is that they are not particularly accurate - but probably adequate for typical hunting. I am unaware of any mags for the BAR that hold more than 4 rounds

Big Daddy K
July 23, 2007, 11:19 PM
Winchester and Benelli make semi 308s.

Also does anybody remember the pre-64 Win model 100?:D

JWarren
July 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Guntech wrote:

The unfortunate part about both the BAR and the Remington is that they are not particularly accurate - but probably adequate for typical hunting.

Probably correct in comparision to plenty of rifles. However, as mentioned, the Remingtion 7400 will suffice for most hunting applications. On average, my father has killed 2-3 deer a year for the last 15 years or so with a Remington 7400 or its predecessor- the Remingtion 742. The shots have been between 75 yards (closest) and 200 yards (furtherest) using 30-06 Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain (he swears by that round for some reason).

Frankly, I've never cared for the Remington 7400 or 742. I can't put my finger on why, but it just never felt right to me. Still, he seems to like it.

-- John

Lancel
July 23, 2007, 11:47 PM
The unfortunate part about both the BAR and the Remington is that they are not particularly accurateI disagree.

My new BAR groups eight tenths of an inch: 0.8 inch @ 100yds. That's the best factory load so far, it would probably do even better if I decide to hand load it. It is .243 Winchester, a derivative of .308 Winchester.

I once had a BLR in .308, a fellow at the company told me their standard for the BLR leaving the factory was 1.5 inches or better @ 100 yds. Mine shot better than that.

Although the civilian BAR doesn't disassemble with the ease of a military rifle, I have never been unhappy with the accuracy or reliability of any Browning.

Larry

GunTech
July 23, 2007, 11:56 PM
There are always exceptions.

The 3 BARs I owned would all shoot about 2-3 MOA. This is typica and realistic hunting rifle performance. You got a good one. Don't ever sell it. It shoots as well as my match grade M1A with hand loads.

I has been my experience that accuracy in rifles, particularly commercial models is overstated. Reviewers often shoot only 3 rounds, and even discount 'flyers'. When I say 1 MOA, I mean that said rifle will put 5-10 rounds into a 1.042 group center to center every time, any time any where.

I shoot at least once a week weather allowing. In my experience, there are very few 1 MOA rifles according to the above criteria. Even fewer commercial ones.

rangerruck
July 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
find an old savage 99 for a lever, and a saiga for a 308. or an old remmy 742, may have made a 308

glockman19
July 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
I'd also agree with the M1A. It's a gerat gun I have one and will get another. Both SA Loaded models.

If you are looking for a bolt action I'd get a Remington 700.

I can shoot tight groups 400-500 yards with both.

Lancel
July 24, 2007, 01:14 AM
Enter_Narne said:I'm liking the Browning semi-automatic. Do any of you know if they have any mags in higher capacities?

A Browning factory rep told me that FN is testing a higher capacity magazine for the BAR. It will require removing the magazine floorplate. I wouldn't (and didn't) base a purchase on the information though.

My informal research showed that most BAR owners are pleased with its accuracy but if you want even more, you can get it with BOSS. My BAR is a LightWeight Stalker without BOSS yet it still shoots marginally better than the 1 MOA of my .338 A-Bolt.

Also, I understand the regular design BAR is more durable than the ShortTrac & LongTrac models.

Larry

.45Guy
July 24, 2007, 01:29 AM
H&K used to make an odd looking sporter semi in .308. A shop I frequent in Manitowoc, WI has one languishing on the rack. It has been collecting dust for at least two years now. It is a neat looking little sucker though.

Nomad, 2nd
July 24, 2007, 01:45 AM
+1 on the Savage 99

jefnvk
July 24, 2007, 02:15 AM
Savage 99 for lever, shot one in 300 Savage, and am determined to own one some day.

mordechaianiliewicz
July 24, 2007, 05:04 AM
Saiga 308-1. It'll do both hunting and defense very well. Often 2 moa accurate or better. (rarely worse). But, AK reliability and above par accuracy. Mine was $500 brand new and it got 4 mags (because of my request for spares)

Guitargod1985
July 24, 2007, 05:14 AM
This is what I plan on saving for: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=008 It comes in .308, but I'm going to get mine in .30-06. :)

000Buck
July 24, 2007, 05:18 AM
Saiga 308 is a nice reliable auto for a good price. I had a new 7400 and could never get it to function correctly.

Andrewsky
July 24, 2007, 05:32 AM
My dad has a BAR Safari with a Leupold 3.5-10x scope on it in .270 Winchester. Last year in Northern Minnesota he shot a running doe at 179 yards (he had a rangefinder).

It is a very nice rifle. Almost as fun to fire as my M1A. The fit and finish is superb, and it has never jammed.

I think it would be really awesome to adapt it to take M1A, FAL, Japanese Type 64 (just kidding), or G3 mags. Or at least to have a fixed 20 round magazine (a la one of the lawman who had a Remington Model 8 converted to have a 20 round fixed magazine that shot at Bonnie and Clyde).

Father Knows Best
July 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
For hunting, I'll add my voice to those recommending the Savage 99. It is a fine rifle that you will be proud to someday hand down to your children or grandchildren.

I'm a little confused, though. You said it was for hunting, but then asked about the availability of "high capacity" mags. You don't hunt with high cap mags. As far as I know, most if not all states restrict mag capacity on rifles in the field during deer season (usually to five rounds). If you want something that holds more, it's not for hunting. For a high capacity .308 semiauto, you're basically looking at the various semi versions of military rifles. Those include the aforementioned M1A (M14), CETME/HK91/PTR-91 (G3), Imbel or DSA SA58/StG58 (FAL), AR-10, Saiga, etc. All are fine rifles, and fun to shoot, and all have mags available that will hold 20 or more rounds, but there are much better choices available if your interest is deer hunting.

jobu07
July 24, 2007, 10:14 AM
Winchester made a 308 lever gun.

Vityaz
July 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
The M1A is definitely a good choice and for hunting you can pretty easily find 5 round mags for it.

Father Knows Best
July 24, 2007, 12:57 PM
Ugh. As much as I like military style rifles, the M1A would NOT be my choice for hunting. It's a big, heavy beast. It's reliable and accurate, but it is FAR from a good choice as a hunting rifle. It's also quite expensive, and can be difficult to scope.

GunTech
July 24, 2007, 01:20 PM
I use my M1a for hunting. I depends on how you define 'heavy'. With a GI fiberglass stock and a Nikon tactical 2.5-10X, mine tips the scale at about 12 pounds - that's with a heavy match barrel. You could shave 2 pound off by starting the a SOCOM. But it's no mountain rifle.

The bnest mount for this rifle is a Brookfield type. I use the Sadlak titanium, but Smith Enterprises is also excellent. Most of the luminum mounts for this rifle are garbage.

A match trigger will bring the pull down to 4.5 pounds, and is definitely worth it. If you don't mine paying for one, the Rader trigger is superb and can be safely set for as little as 24 ounces.

You'll pay around $1500 for a base M1A, and can easily spend 2-3x with all the bells and whistles.

http://guntech.com/m14/jae-4.jpg

jford1
July 24, 2007, 01:30 PM
My 270 BAR MKII Safari w/BOSS will shoot sub-MOA all day long except for the first cold/clean shot with Federal Premium ammo. I find it to be a fantastic hunting rifle. It's lightweight, powerful, accurate and recoil is quite soft. In Missouri you can use ten round magazines (if available) but with a 4.5-14x Leupold scope and this rifle I've never needed a second shot. It might as well be a single shot. That BOSS break is very very loud, however. I also have a 308 PTR-91 (HK G3 Clone) but I would never want to lug that 10 lb. thing through the brush or up a tree.

Father Knows Best
July 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have a PTR-91, too. Mine has one of the early polygonal rifled barrels, and the trigger has been massaged to break cleanly at about 2.5 pounds (no take-up and no creep). It's a sweet rifle, and extremely accurate. But like you, I would never choose it for hunting. It's just too heavy.

For hunting, I will almost always choose a lever or bolt gun. The Savage 99 is about as fine a centerfire hunting rifle as you will ever find if you're not willing to use a bolt action. It is compact, well balanced, reliable, reasonably light weight and quite accurate. Good used Savage 99's can be purchased for well under a thousand dollars.

goon
July 24, 2007, 03:34 PM
Depending on price, maybe find a 99 savage in get the barrel shortened just a little. They really are great rifles eventhough they don't wear black synthetic furniture. And if you are planning to carry it much more than from the car to bench, you will learn to love how they only weigh about 2/3 as much as any of the semi automatics.

Having said that, I still love my FAL.

Andrewsky
July 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
My M1A SOCOM weighs exactly 10 pounds with 3 point sling and fully loaded with a 20 round magazine. My dad's BAR weighs the same (but with a telescope on it).

I didn't buy my M1A to hunt with it. But I am anyways, because I choose to. It's decent SHTF training.

Oh by the way, I'll be hunting in North Dakota and Minnesota. Neither have restrictions on the magazine. Neither does Texas or Arizona.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please recommend a .308 rifle or carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!