Need help with new AR build

PDA

SATX man
July 23, 2007, 10:00 PM
HI everyone I going to build another AR rifle this time a 20" CMMG. The question I have is there any advantage over a crome lined barrel compared to a stinless steel barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with new AR build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DnPRK
July 23, 2007, 10:36 PM
Stainless has the capability to be a more accurate barrel if machined properly. That's why the benchrest guys use stainless in their quest to shoot 0.10" groups. Chrome works well for military use where a soldier/Marine may not get a chance to clean his bore often.

Bartholomew Roberts
July 24, 2007, 07:46 AM
I've been trying to answer this question myself and haven't come up with a good answer yet. Best I can tell, chrome may have a tiny longevity and reliability advantage when used in high-heat shooting. Stainless steel on the other hand has a small accuracy advantage.

Canuck-IL
July 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
So, is it fair to rank chrome-moly has middle of the road...a little better lifespan than SS but also somewhat more accurate than chrome lined? A compromise solution...?

/Bryan

Bartholomew Roberts
July 24, 2007, 01:40 PM
Well to be fair, the accuracy is more a function of the time and attention given the barrel than the materials. There are several examples of chrome-lined barrels with excellent accuracy. The degree of difference in accuracy is so small you'll never see it without a rest or other extremely stable platform.

On the other hand I don't know that the claimed longevity difference is all that noticeable either.

Canuck-IL
July 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
But the expected longevity is more easily discerned, right? So IYO would the order be (assuming comparably hot loads), chrome, chrome-moly, SS as max to min expected life?
/B

Bartholomew Roberts
July 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
That sounds about right; but based on the anecdotal evidence I have so far, I would expect the longevity difference between the top and bottom to be about 2-3k max.

Canuck-IL
July 25, 2007, 07:43 AM
Good to have an informed opinion - thanks!
/B

SATX man
July 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone I am going to be getting a crome lined barrel instead of the SS one. Has anyone herd of a company called Sabre Defense?

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with new AR build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!