Need Help to Buy a new Gun

PDA

ricos
July 23, 2007, 11:43 PM
Please help me to buy a personal Gun (like cal 45, or 9mm)i want a nice brand and made from. thanks so much..

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help to Buy a new Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GigaBuist
July 24, 2007, 12:11 AM
We're going to need a little more info than that.

Purpose?

Location?

Experience level?

Price Range?

Any preferences? If so, explanations for them?

v35
July 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
Best to read the hundreds of posts here about what people have and why they have it. No one can answer your question without first knowing: what do you intend to use it for? Target shooting? Personal defense? How much will you be shooting it? Do you intend to carry it? How? When?

I'd suggest you find a local range, make some friends, get some basic instruction, rent something, get some model-specific instruction, shoot it (with more basic instruction) and see if you're still interested. If you are, get some serious instruction which may or may not be required for a permit in your state anyway. Expect to spend a minimum of eight hours, preferably more, learning and practicing safety and technique.

It's far too easy to buy something and without any training, develop bad habits that you'll have to unlearn before you can learn proper weapon safety, handling, and shooting technique. At best all you'll have is a tool of limited utility, at worst something really dangerous. Before just going out and buying something because you can, invest a little time and energy in obtaining some knowledge and training. The amount of expertise you can develop is limitless and highly rewarding. Good luck!

glockman19
July 24, 2007, 12:34 AM
We're going to need a little more info than that.
Purpose?
Location?
Experience level?
Price Range?
Any preferences? If so, explanations for them?

Also go to a range rent a few and then let us help direct you.

Princi
July 24, 2007, 12:47 AM
Also go to a range rent a few and then let us help direct you

I always thought that was great advice. However, thinking back a couple of years ago, I went to a range and rented 5 guns. One of which was a Springfield Armory 1911. It was horrible. I had several jams and swore I'd never buy one of those pieces of crap.

I now have a couple of Springfields and no trouble. In retrospect, the gun at the range had the crap beat out of it and was dirty inside. I suspect it probably needed the recoil spring replaced too.

So a great experience at a rental range is a big plus, but a bad experience shouldn't totally turn you off because it could be just a lack of maintenance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help to Buy a new Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!