are you worried about getting cancer from shooting, cleaning guns, reloading?

PDA

cajun47
July 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/static.exe/getstaticpage?page=lead_warning.htm

in addition to that i once found an old rusty lead melting pot with some stuck on lead and like a fool i buffed it with a drill buff. no mask.

also, i always hunt squirrels and rabbits with fine shot and i know i have eaten some lead.

If you enjoyed reading about "are you worried about getting cancer from shooting, cleaning guns, reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CDignition
July 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
how old are you??.. you ain't dead yet,lol...

Dorryn
July 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
What, did you want to live forever?

AntiqueCollector
July 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
I believe car pollution and the chemical filled/unhealthy foods most people eat now, are more more likely to give you cancer than shooting, unless you're melting lead on your kitchen stove or something...

1911 guy
July 24, 2007, 11:08 AM
Now I don't take silly risks, but I'm not going to live in fear that I'll drop over dead because I've got a little lead in my system. If you're concerned, get checked. Lead shows up in blood samples and can be treated if you're in any danger.

The dangers of lead poisoning are real, but so are the dangers of traffic, lightning strike, drowning and spontaneous human combustion. Okay, so I'm not sure about that last one. Take reasonable precaution in all areas, use more caution and/or preventive measures if you feel they are warranted. I just don't tend to get overly excited about the latest thing that's supposed to kil me.

Princi
July 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
I think the lead settles in my butt. My wife keeps saying: "Will you get the lead out of your..."

Seriously, I've used the behind the ear patch for motion-sickness and found it to be extremely effective. In fact nothing else has worked as well. It works on the principle that our skin is just one big sponge.

Since then, I've bought a big ole barrel of latex gloves that I wear when dealing with solvents. Anything that can disolve lead and copper can't be too good to be running through your blood stream and giving your liver a work-out. If I'm going to tax my liver, I think it sould be done with some good mind-blowing form of alcohol from Kentucky or Tennessee.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
July 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
Since we don't really understand what really triggers cancer or how it works exactly, there's no way to answer your question.

Do what you enjoy doing and cross bridges when you get to them.

Nathanael_Greene
July 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
I worry about a lot of things, but dying from handling gun-related chemicals isn't one of them.

strat81
July 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
Do a google search on Toms River, NJ. The place is still VERY inhabited, even with MTBE in the water and an astronomical cancer rate.

A firearm hobby should be the least of your worries. I'm more concerned about what's in my drinking water.

NeoSpud
July 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
I live in a city, I drink more than I should, and I love bacon cheeseburgers. Is my life expectancy shorter than it could be due to my lifestyle? You bet. Do I regret it? Nope. :)

SDC
July 24, 2007, 11:21 AM
Lead over-exposure is most likely to show up in cumulative brain or nerve damage (rather than cancer) anyway; if you're worried about it, you can have a simple blood test done. The last lead test I had showed my level was high enough that it would be a concern if I was a woman who was pregnant or trying to get pregnant, but that's all.

M2 Carbine
July 24, 2007, 11:25 AM

After 69 years of chewing on lead paint as a baby, playing with lead toys, drinking water from lead pipes, shooting lead bullets in poorly ventulated ranges, 40 years of casting lead bullets and fifty years of shooting and cleaning guns, No I'm not worried.

If even half the BS that the government puts out was factual there would be no old shooters alive today.:rolleyes:

cajun47
July 24, 2007, 11:33 AM
i get blood work done pretty regular at the doctor so i guess they would tell me.

Princi
July 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
...fifty years of shooting and cleaning guns, No I'm not worried

See!!! that just shows the amount of damage already done to the brain. What me worry? :what:

Hey no offense, you know I'm just kidding. I just couldn't pass up an opening like that.:) It gave me a good chuckle - at least I still laugh at my own jokes.

CajunBass
July 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
I've had cancer. I doubt that shooting in any way, shape or form had anything to do with it.

The Lone Haranguer
July 24, 2007, 12:35 PM
No worries, mate. ;)

David904
July 24, 2007, 12:41 PM
I shoot in well ventilated facilities and I use Nitrile gloves when handling cleaning solutions.

I'm neither worried nor ambivalent. I exercise safety in shooting and handling my firearms so I might as well do the same with cleaning them.

Thumper
July 24, 2007, 12:42 PM
I grew up eating small game full of lead shot.
I shoot a lot.
I reload.
I pour my own bullets from melted wheel weights.
I handled buckets of ammo in the military.
I had a job back in college gathering the spent lead from an indor range.
My girlfriend is a doc. She keeps track of this stuff and lead doesn't even register above normal in my blood.

No worries.

fletcher
July 24, 2007, 12:45 PM
Not at all. I think it takes a lot more to give you cancer than the health nuts/warnings let on.

springmom
July 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
No. I should wear nitrile gloves when I clean guns but I never have. I just wash up really well afterward. And I don't eat when I'm shooting; I often have a water bottle with me but keep it covered up to prevent spent gunpowder, dirt, whatever, from getting on it.

I'm pretty picky about what I buy at the grocery store...we eat organic veggies mostly, free-range natural beef and chicken, and organic milk. But that stuff goes in every single day. If I cleaned guns every single day, I'd be more worried, I suppose.

No worries, at least not about that.

Springmom

still442
July 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
Pulled from an FAQ on the OHSA site:

Will lead cause cancer?

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has determined that the evidence for carcinogenicity of inorganic lead compounds to humans is inadequate and have classified these compounds as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B). A comprehensive review of more than twenty human studies involving workers exposed to inorganic lead compounds in battery industries, smelters, pigment factories, printing trades and the glass manufacturing industry concluded that there was a significant excess risk of overall cancer (stomach, lung, and bladder cancers), but not cancer of the kidney. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) has designated elemental lead as an A3 carcinogen (confirmed animal carcinogen with unknown relevance to humans).

If you're worried about lead causing cancer, then you also better not live in a city, drive a car, eat anything that is not organic, paint anything, or turn on a lightbulb. Good luck. ;)

MD_Willington
July 24, 2007, 12:59 PM
Not really, since I've been exposed to Toluene, Asbestos, Benzene etcetera...

.41 magnum man
July 24, 2007, 01:02 PM
I don't worry if I will get cancer, cause I already got it! And I haven't even started reloading yet. (I'm waiting on my reloading kit to get here now.)
Heck, even though I have cancer, I don't worry about it. :D The Lord is in charge and I'll go when ever He says it is time. Anybody you want me to say hello to if I get there before you do?

Barr
July 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
I can also "catch" cancer from my cell phone and have a dozen other things. I just enjoy life and try to reasonably cautious. I wash my hands after shooting and reloading. I do not eat when I shoot or reload either. Put on my seat belt when driving and ear plugs when shooting etc.

Some people can take the safety/health thing too far. I have a neighbor that wears a dust mask, ear plugs, and safety glasses while mowing. The only thing he does not use is a NBC warfare suit with attached gas mask. That is too much. It is pretty funny though. If I weed eat grass I wear glasses etc.

Just think before you do something.

M2 Carbine
July 24, 2007, 02:03 PM
Princi

...fifty years of shooting and cleaning guns, No I'm not worried

See!!! that just shows the amount of damage already done to the brain. What me worry?

Hey no offense, you know I'm just kidding. I just couldn't pass up an opening like that. It gave me a good chuckle - at least I still laugh at my own jokes.

It could be that the people of my generation would have been a lot smarter and healthier except we grew up with all that lead and asbestos all around us.:D

cracked butt
July 24, 2007, 02:11 PM
I work with toxic chemicals every day. My hobbies are the least of my worries.

obxned
July 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
Sorry, but I have other things to worry about.

kingpin008
July 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
When I first started hearing about lead levels in indoor ranges, and when handling/cleaning guns, working with ammo, etc I got a little paranoid. Hell, I'm still a little paranoid, but it hasn't stopped me from shooting how I want to, when I want to. I make sure to wash my hands after I'm done shooting, I change at least my shirt once I get home, and I keep a bottle of orange juice or a roll of vitamin C drops in my car for a snack on my way home. (I've heard that vitamin C is a good chelating agent)

Other that that, game on.

P.S. I smoked for...right around 13 years before quitting last year, and I figure that the crap I was inhaling everyday smoking those things has gotta be more of a strain on my body then what I inhale during my 2 hours on the range every week or so.

Durruti
July 24, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hmmm... Whenever someone posts something about getting a cheap gun for CCW/HD, folks come out of the woodwork to point out that "life is all we have" and it's "the most valuable thing possible." Now on a topic where being super-careful wouldn't support being around guns as much, those people are nowhere to be found. Interesting :neener:

Personally, I'm also careful, but not overly so. I wear gloves while cleaning and wash my hands after shooting, but I don't worry about it too much either.

Scorpiusdeus
July 24, 2007, 02:57 PM
Life causes death, deal with it.

July 24, 2007, 03:09 PM
Most lead contamination you get is from shooting in poorly-vented indoor ranges. But, you can also get it from shooting on an outdoor range and doing anything with lead bullets indoors- i.e. casting, reloading , etc. As to the actual risk involved in any of those activities, I wouldn't hazard a guess.

Attached is a link to one instructor's views on the subject:

http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html

Due to OSHA regs and such, I have adopted several measures when I run a range. I use an indoor range only if it's a extreme necessity. But even at my outdoor ranges, I do the following:

I have warm water and soap and paper towels available for the shooters. Wash your hands and face and any other exposed skin.

I have a bucket and brush so they can wash the bottom of their footwear before they climb in their car (or worse, the cruiser they drove to the range that I drive while at work).

I highly suggest they bring a change of outer clothes and change before they get in their car. Likewise, I strongly urge them to bring an extra pair of footwear to change into prior to climbing into the family mini-van.

I tell them to wash the clothes they wore separate from any other clothes. That's the same thing I tell them after any kind of exposure to OC spray.

It may be overkill, but we have at least two firearms instructors in the state (that I know of) who have a level over 60 mcg/dl and have either been put out on disability or Worker's Comp. I know of three others that aren't firearms instructors anymore due to the levels in their system. I will grant you that all of them were using indoor ranges most of the time, but once again, given OSHA and the various liability issues involved, a person running a range should be careful.

I know for a fact my levels went up. After learning about this issue during my first instructor certification course, I went to the doctor and had my blood tested. I was down in the low teens. Shortly thereafter, I embraced the whole firearms instructor concept and started shooting several times a week. After all, as an instructor, one MUST be the greatest shot in the world! :rolleyes: Not true, but ....

I did most of my shooting at several indoor ranges and found out a mere 2 years later that my levels had jumped up to the high 30's. I stopped going to those ranges.

My rather unscientific rules are:

If you are shooting, and you get a kind of sweet taste in your mouth- you're ingesting lead. (Others may poo-poo that, but hey, it's my rule-of-thumb... and I'm sticking to it.)

If you aren't washing after shooting and sitting down and eating a burger, you're probably ingesting lead.

If you handle things that you put in your mouth during the period you're shooting, you are probably transferring lead to your mouth. I use cigarettes, cigars, and "dip" as an example. I am a smoker. After finishing a relay, I step off the line and shove a cigarette in my mouth, I am probably putting lead in there also. Of course, the cigarettes are probably going to kill me before the lead does, but... it doesn't mean I'm still not compounding the problem by eating lead. :p

I'll now end this and post another reply that should counter everything I just said. :uhoh:

Essex County
July 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
I can't make any connection to firearms to my cancer, no mater how hard I try. Boy I'd like to blame it on somebody or something. It must be someone elses fault. Maybe I should call a bottomfeeding Attorney. He'll get to the bottom of this...............Boy America has changed. Essex

July 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
Now, the counter:

I have several other rules, but you have to understand:

Way back, a long, long time ago, I shot .22 cal rifles in high school as a school rifle team member. Nobody thought anything about it. I'd shoot everyday. My fingers would be black from handling those .22 rounds. We just figured our fingers were black and didn't take it much further than that.

After that, I did the normal hunting and joined the military and shot more than most people in the service ever had a chance to.

After getting out of the service, I reloaded for a time. We used to cast bullets in the kitchen. :eek: Never really thought about it.

I molded lead soldiers in my basement as a kid. I had this neat little funance and mold set-up. Then, I'd paint them. It was cool.

I shot black powder fairly often for about three years and was always handling lead balls. I can't say I always cleaned my hands between shoots.

I worked in the electronics field (70's) for about three years and was constantly holding a small piece of solder in my mouth so I could grab it as needed when re-soldering something. I did the same thing on many plumbing jobs I completed as a homeowner and assisting friends with their plumbing jobs.

So, why did I show a low level of lead up to shooting consistently in in-door ranges for several years just recently? I had obviously been exposed to lead a lot in my youth.

I don't have an answer. I do remember playing with mercury when I was younger. We had a bottle of it in the basement and we played with it for hours on end. My mercury level isn't all that high.

Go figure.

As far as shooting goes- if I start to taste that sweet taste, I get a bit worried.

When I go home and snort water into my nose and blow back a bunch of black crud, I still to think I'm sucking up something I shouldn't.

But, I still shoot.

Gaucho Gringo
July 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe someone should alert the fishermen about lead poisoning. All those years of handling lead fishing weights should about equal shooting lead out of a gun, but I have never heard a peep about that from the angling crowd. I remember putting lead split shot on my line using my teeth. Not too smart looking back at it now but everybody used to do it.

July 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
Good point!

How many of us fished and used to crimp the sinkers onto the line by biting them?

I know I did.

That's the whole issue here. Is there more lead in the environment these days and we're ingesting it from other sources, or are we just more aware of it?

Guitargod1985
July 24, 2007, 04:09 PM
I often smoke cigarettes while skeet shooting at the outdoor range. It's not really the healthiest thing to do, but at least I've cut back on my smoking from a pack and a half a day to about five cigarettes. I'm probably not as concerned about lead exposure as I should be, but then again, I'm exposed to all sorts of nasty things at work. I work around (and no doubt inhale) PVC, insulation, drywall, concrete, etc. Perhaps in a couple of decades some of us will be lying in hospital beds next to each other, although I hope not.

Rich K
July 24, 2007, 04:30 PM
No.

Kilgor
July 24, 2007, 06:17 PM
I am mindful of anything that could hurt me be it a criminal, overreaching government, or solvents and lead from shooting. I take appropriate measures to reduce the risk of all of them.

I still live my life and have fun, but I mitigate risks where I reasonably can.

brickeyee
July 24, 2007, 07:17 PM
“i have eaten some lead.”
“crimp the sinkers onto the line by biting them”

Metallic lead is not a particular hazard when ingested unless it is a powder.
All a pellet does is pass on through.

“…big ole barrel of latex gloves that I wear when dealing with solvents.”

Latex is pretty useless against solvents, and trapping it between the glove and your skin is probably increasing your exposure over bare hands. At least then it could freely evaporate.

Nitril gloves are better against some of the solvents use in gun cleaning, but not all.

leadcounsel
July 24, 2007, 10:33 PM
I try to wear rubber/latex gloves when I clean my guns and try to shoot in well ventilated ranges.

joe4702
July 24, 2007, 10:36 PM
No, but I'm worried about the government and antis stirring up a firestorm about supposed lead hazards so they can ban it.

joplinsks
July 24, 2007, 10:55 PM
If you're worried about a little lead or gun solvent causing cancer, then consider the millions of folks who handle highly toxic chemicals on a daily basis that don't give it a second thought. Most of them don't even wash their hands before they eat :what:

For years I worked in the printing industry where splashing all kinds of solvents on everything, without any kind of protection, was common... and I'm still here.

About the only deaths from hazardous uses I've witnessed in my personal life are folks who apparently died from asbestos exposure... and it seems those folks are always heavy chain smokers, so I figure it's hard to blame asbestos for their deaths.

I've known young folks in their teens and twenties in perfect physical shape, living very healthy lives, who developed lung and skin cancer for no apparent reason. You just gotta do what you can and live life to the fullest until your time comes.

xd9fan
July 24, 2007, 10:57 PM
LOL
No
Lets play: even if lets say that one is absolutely going to get cancer by shooting, cleaning guns, reloading.
What would you want for your life (and your children)
slavery and longevity OR liberty and cancer?

its easy really
Live free or die (because if you dont...hint....your already dead)

JohnBT
July 24, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm worried. Worried one of my smokes is going to light up a bottle of cleaning fluid. Other than that, no. After 50 years of the stuff it's too late for me.

John

sm
July 24, 2007, 11:29 PM
No.
Not me personally.
I have been exposed to not only gun cleaning chemicals, also other chemicals and environments much worse since I was born in '55.

I respect those that have sensitives and concerns to chemicals, and other stimuli.

I knew 3 ladies, and buried 3 ladies that never smoked, never drank, ate well, and the whole bit.
Breast Cancer, and during chemo, became sensitive to all sorts of things, even perfumes, lotions, soaps...cooking smells and you name it.
Out of respect for them, the families and all, Ballistol was used quite a bit.

It is in the genes.
When its your turn to have a ticket punched, it gets punched.

CU74
July 25, 2007, 12:25 AM
I signed up for Social Security Benefits and Medicare last week - kinda late for me to start worrying about getting cancer from my firearms hobby.

cracked junior
July 25, 2007, 12:59 AM
im more worried about what the government will come up with next that causes cancer. i suppose the internet will cause it next. since computers probably contain something toxic or looking at the computer screen to closely will ruin my eyes.

i also never understood california and their labeling of solvents or other chemicals. on chemical labels. it always says is known to the state of califronia to cause cancer and birth defects.
so does that mean if i am outside of california i am ok to use it with no worries?

.41 magnum man
July 25, 2007, 02:47 AM
"How many of us fished and used to crimp the sinkers onto the line by biting them?"

I bit down on so many sinkers when I was younger, my teeth are lead capped! I might die of lead poisoning, but if there is a nuke attack, my teeth are safe!

coelacanth
July 25, 2007, 03:57 AM
something is gaining on your a$$ from the day you're born. Eventually it will catch up with you but until then enjoy life to the fullest.

Kevin108
July 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
The sun and everything under it can cause cancer, it seems. I would think what you do with guns would be the least of it unless you do it chest deep for 8 hours a day for 30 years.

langenc
July 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
To the original question-NO

03Shadowbob
July 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
If you are genetically cursed with the cancer gene then there is not a lot you can do except get checked regularly and take early precautions.

lance22
July 25, 2007, 10:54 AM
I do worry about shooting - and my worry is that I don't do enough of it, get out of town often enough, compete enough, or introduce enough young people to the disciplines therein.

The more time goes on the more I try to avoid touching my cleaning agents or coming into contact with residues - but some contact is unavoidable - oh well.

I have a Father in law who is dying of cancer - for years he had been in good health, following a strict diet prescribed by a trusted nutritionist who practically guaranteed that he'd never get sick, die, or have any problems as long as he ate the magic 'good foods'. Then a month ago he found out he had prostrate cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, and cancer on his spine. Let me ask, what did his "miracle diet" do for him? And that nutritionist should be kicked in the [deleted] as that [deleted] is more religion than science.

So I shoot my guns all I can, and I clean my firearms each time I take them out. I clean my carry piece once a week regardless of whether it has been shot or not. If I get cancer it will be from so many different causes who knows where the blame should be cast - and I'm not going to live forever here anyway.

Enjoy the ride.

CountGlockula
July 25, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nope, I wash my hands after every range trip...I might as well clean my gun while I'm in a cleaning mood.

Cannonball888
July 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
Lead doesn't cause cancer. It causes dain bramage. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif

fatelk
July 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
I went through this whole thing a few months ago, worrying about what could have caused my cancer. I never thought I would spend my 35th birthday in a cancer treatment center.

I have cast quite a few bullets (though not near so much as some) and I used to tear apart old car batteries for the lead (very bad idea) when I was a teenager. I also handle very nasty chemicals at work (solvents, acids, toxic gases, etc.) but we have strict safety procedures.

I came to the conclusion that I'll never know. I now take better precautions at home with lead and other household chemicals just in case, but otherwise have not changed how I live other than appreciating life a whole lot more and spending every minute with my wife and kids. A lot of the old worries and stresses don't really bother me anymore.

Ala Dan
July 25, 2007, 02:01 PM
Nope

I'm 60 years old now, and "been there, and done that" so too speak; that is
everything that the "WARNING" eludes too~!:uhoh: So, why worry now? I will
deal with whatever GOD has in his plans for me. ;):D

halvey
July 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
Nope.

This week pop (soda or soft drinks for you non-midwest speaking types) will kill you. I'm more worried about that, this week.:eek:

BigRobT
July 25, 2007, 02:54 PM
The way I look at it is ........ when your number is up, you're done. Doing aircraft maintenance for 15 of my 20 years USN, I've been exposed to many hazardous chemicals, some of them known carcinogens, at least in today's world. During the mid to late 70s and into the mid-80s, the Navy really didn't pay much attention to all of that stuff. I've been soaked in Mil-H-5606, which was later replaced by Mil-H-83282(?) because the 5606 type caused cancer. Heck, I even did a six month tour in corrosion control with no respirator or even the simple paper masks. IF I ever DO get cancer, either I want it gone right away or I want die die as quickly as possible. None of this lingering for two or three years, slowly dying. I watched my mom wither away and die over a two year period. She had cancer. She got it from too much Texas sun.

silverlance
July 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
Don't shoot in poorly ventilated indoor ranges.
After a few months of going home every day with a sweet metallic tang on my upper palate (from the inhaled lead) I decided to shoot indoors only while wearing an OSHA respirator or at least a surgeon's mask.

Either of those last two effectively prevents the sweet taste.

sure, there are plenty of guys who have done all sorts of crazy things and are still ticking - hell, george allen lived until 100 and smoked stogies regularly. same for a lot of the other folks.

but then again, how many of us are are that lucky?

kev

SSN Vet
July 25, 2007, 03:54 PM
no...because...

1. I'm carefull when dumping out my tumbler and wash my hands after every re-loading or gun cleaning session.

2. I don't shoot at any indoor ranges (defacto rule.....none close by)

3. I don't cast (not yet....when I start....I'll run the hot pot outside or in my shed.

4. I don't lick the Hoppes #9 off my fingers, even though it smells so good. ;)

Dysfunctional Individual
July 25, 2007, 03:59 PM
There are so many carcinogens in today's world -- with people mostly unaware of exposure -- that lead isn't likely to make much difference, except maybe psychosomatically. My main concern is its long-term effects on children, who may suffer neurological damage and possibly varying degrees of mental retardation in extreme cases. That's why I have some basic rules of thumb for children, such as allowing them to shoot only jacketed or "green" ammo before age 6, telling them to wash their hands and face immediately after every range trip and gun-cleaning session, etc.

cpileri
July 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
Lead does alot of bad things if toxic levels are reached, but cancer doesn't seem to be one of them. here:

Neurologic effects

Lead affects the central nervous system by multiple different mechanisms, most of which are unexplored. In the brain, lead is known to alter the function of cellular calcium and inactivate the blood-brain barrier. These alterations result in leakage of proteinaceous fluid and brain edema, which affects all parts of the CNS, predominantly the cerebellum and the occipital lobes. Lead-induced cerebral edema is manifested initially by headaches, clumsiness, vertigo, and ataxia, followed by seizures, coma, mortality, or recovery with permanent neurologic loss. Lead also impairs the function of several protein kinases and neurotransmitters. In the peripheral nervous system, lead poisoning causes segmental demyelination of motor neurons and destruction of Schwann cells, resulting in motor neuron dysfunction.

Gastrointestinal effects

Lead causes contractions of the smooth muscle lining of intestinal walls, leading to severe, excruciating, colicky abdominal pains (lead colic); anorexia; diarrhea; and constipation.

Renal effects

Lead nephropathy develops because of the inhibitory effects of lead on cellular respiration. Lead causes a generalized dysfunction of proximal, tubular, energy-dependent functions, manifesting as a Fanconilike syndrome with aminoaciduria, glycosuria, and phosphaturia. While this effect generally is limited and reversible by chelation, chronic industrial exposure to lead has been associated with an irreversible interstitial nephropathy. This chronic nephropathy may result in hyperuricemia with gout, called saturnine gout.

Other effects

Lead has negative effects on the reproductive system, causing low sperm count and abnormal sperm morphology in men and infertility, menstrual irregularity, spontaneous abortion, and stillbirths in women.

In children, lead impairs the release of human growth hormone and insulin growth factor and interferes with skeletal calcium and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) functions, resulting in abnormalities of bone growth. Chronic exposure to lead also may result in reduced thyroid function. Rarely, acute lead poisoning results in hepatitis, pancreatitis, or cardiac dysfunction.

So, no; I am not worried about cancer from lead.

Now some of the fancier solvents and the gun blueing salts- now THOSE are toxic!
C-

308win
July 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
You know . . . life is a risk. Chill out and enjoy the ride; getting cancer from your shooting hobby is the least of your worries.

HowardC
July 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
As is referenced in the articles. Lots of things are more toxic in California.
-Howard

HippieCrusher
July 25, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'm more worried about global warming. Thanks al gore.

Mr White
July 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
Unless the lead is moving toward me at 1000+ fps, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it. Many other things will probably kill me long before lead poisoning does.

Kilgor
July 25, 2007, 06:56 PM
Unless the lead is moving toward me at 1000+ fps, I'm not gonna get too worked up about it.

Heh. So a 230 grain .45 acp hollow point @ 900 fps is no big deal. :neener:

Dysfunctional Individual
July 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
Lead does alot of bad things if toxic levels are reached, but cancer doesn't seem to be one of them.

Lead is classified as "possibly carcinogenic" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IARC_Group_2B_carcinogens).

eastwood44mag
July 26, 2007, 03:39 AM
If I get cancer, I spect it will be from a more self-destructive behavior than reloading ammunition.

Mr White
July 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
Heh. So a 230 grain .45 acp hollow point @ 900 fps is no big deal You know, I used 1000fps just because it was a nice round number but after I wrote it, I thought the exact same thing. Then I wondered how fast a 230 gr .45 acp would be travelling at 50 yds, 100 yds, ... Would I be willing to get hit by a 45 at 100yds? Screw it, just leave it at 1000 and let them rag me. :)

High Planes Drifter
July 26, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hmmm... Whenever someone posts something about getting a cheap gun for CCW/HD, folks come out of the woodwork to point out that "life is all we have" and it's "the most valuable thing possible." Now on a topic where being super-careful wouldn't support being around guns as much, those people are nowhere to be found. Interesting

You noticed that also eh. What can you say, some folks just ignore the risks. I was cleaning my guns Saturday after a range trip. My shooting buddy was at my house cleaning his also. He made a comment about how I take extra precaution not to come in contact with the cleaning solvent; I was using Birchwood Case Gun Scrubber. I told him that on the can there is a warning that it contains a chemical known to cause cancer in California. My friend made the smart ass comment "Well, lucky we arent in California". I know Im going to die of something someday, and life isnt worth living without risks, but I'll choose not to take the unnecesary risks that offer no reward.

kellyj00
July 26, 2007, 01:06 PM
*lights up a Marlboro* nah, ain't skeered.

seriously, have you bought a cup of coffee from mcdonald's lately? it's marked HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT all over it, why? because somebody sued them after spilling it on themselves.

It's the 21st century, there seems to be a lot more lawsuits against businesses now, even folks like MidwayUSA. and, last I checked, Lead doesn't give you cancer, it just affects your brain. It did, however, kill off the Greek society because they made all of their water pipes out of the soft metal that didn't corrode. They thought it was a miracle, but nothing's too good to be true.

That's why Lead's symbol is Pb, because it's derived from the Greek 'plumbing'

pdowg881
July 26, 2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.fi.edu/brain/metals.htm

Some interesting stuff there.

zeroskillz
July 26, 2007, 02:00 PM
I wasn't...
:D

SlamFire1
July 26, 2007, 05:49 PM
If you're worried about a little lead or gun solvent causing cancer, then consider the millions of folks who handle highly toxic chemicals on a daily basis that don't give it a second thought. Most of them don't even wash their hands before they eat

For years I worked in the printing industry where splashing all kinds of solvents on everything, without any kind of protection, was common... and I'm still here.

This so reminds me of those debates where people claimed that they were alive because they didnít wear their safety belt. Never met a dead man who said he might be alive if he wore one. There were a lot more dead ones than live ones.

Guys keep away from those chemicals. My Dear old Dad worked in photographic labs all his life. Took me to work a couple of times. I remember the smell of those 20 or 30 foot long, open, unvented chemical troughs where they used to develop camera film. Stay too long, you would get a buzz. Must have been benzene, toluene, who knows what in those chemical baths. Now Dear old Dad retired with a little skin cancer, but as the years went on, he was all ate up with cancers. I know he had leukemia. Lots more skin cancer, kidneys failed, diabetes, lots of stuff. At his service his Doctor said that all major organs of his body had failed. His brother, sister, never had those problems, and they never worked around chemicals. You soak all day in that stuff, it kills you. One guy I worked with, lived near a Leather factory. Nasty chemicals. Every guy he knew who worked at that factory died from cancers at an early age.

Those guys claiming they are immune, maybe they are the lucky ones. There are a lot more dead ones who ainít talking.

Wear your Nitrile gloves, clean your hands, shoot in good ventilation. Easy stuff. Not hard to follow.

Kilgor
July 26, 2007, 06:03 PM
Amen Slamfire1.

shadowalker
July 26, 2007, 06:28 PM
It is not something I dismiss because there are risks involved but I've taken steps to manage them and don't worry too much about it.

I have no doubt it probably does contribute to health problems in some individuals, particularly if they aren't careful but so do many other things, taking too much pain pills, taking too much vitamin c, having too high of cholesterol, having too low of cholesterol.

Something is going to get us eventually.

SlamFire1
July 26, 2007, 08:25 PM
Something is going to get us eventually.

Yes that's true. Dying is easy. Everyone does it.

Two Cold Soakers
July 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
Not worried.

We all gotta go sometime, somehow. Cancer wouldn't be a chosen exit, but neither would I choose sitting around avoiding things that are "bad for my health".

Having said that, I do not eat bird shot, Hoppes, and foundry sand for breakfast.

Soakers

glove
July 26, 2007, 08:50 PM
No not worried.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "are you worried about getting cancer from shooting, cleaning guns, reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!