Mp5k

PDA

for_hire
July 24, 2007, 04:49 PM
I contacted a local class 3 dealer today in hopes to get started on purchasing a MP5K in semi-auto.. I was told that HK no longer imports that particular weapon. I want to know if there is anyway i can purchase this weapon. And I can not find a price on this weapon can anyone help me out?

thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Mp5k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 04:52 PM
check out Vector Arms website, cost about a grand.

A semi MP5 is a SP89

http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 04:57 PM
A semi MP5 is a SP89

It will save you a $200 tax stamp and some paper work (as long as you don't put a stock on it). They are considered handguns.

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 05:00 PM
Heavy Metal-
MP5K K=pistol

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
MP5K K=pistol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/MP3K_ImgID1.jpg

Yeah you're right.... :rolleyes:

Father Knows Best
July 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
I thought the "K" was for "kurz" -- the German word for "short" -- and referred to barrel length. If it has a shoulder stock on it, it's a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16" long, and it has a shoulder stock, then it's a short barreled rifle (SBR) and is subject to the tax stamp. What am I missing?

RNB65
July 24, 2007, 05:04 PM
Here's one for $17K.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=10699&query=retrieval

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 05:04 PM
I thought the "K" was for "kurz" -- the German word for "short" -- and referred to barrel length.

It is. Humor trueblue though and pretend you know what he/she is talking about.

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.hk-usa.com/le_products_sg.html

read it and weep

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 05:12 PM
What is there to read? It is just a listing of their SMGs and PDWs. There is a listing above that with handguns....and I don't see the MP5K there.

http://www.hk-usa.com/le_products.html

Lemme educate you....

Kurz (MP5K) German for 'short'

From http://www.tea-and-medals.co.uk/glossary.htm

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 05:13 PM
dude, there are the stock codes and designations on my link, from HK. I remember the MP5K from the federal stock system.

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 05:19 PM
dude, there are the stock codes and designations on my link, from HK. I remember the MP5K from the federal stock system.

Whatever you say friend. Let's not waste anymore space on this OT nonsense.

For_Hire Vulcan may be your best bet. It won't be an original H&K but it will save you a lot of money.

for_hire
July 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys..Right now will probally be the best time in my life to get it..I have a good job that pays well no debt whatsoever and no bills..Is vector arms the only company that sells those types of rifles?..

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 05:29 PM
Vector and Bobcat(Red Rock Arms) are the only ones with decent customer relations. A lot of companies in the HK clone biz have very questionable quality and service, Vector is pretty good though.

Heavy Metal Hero
July 24, 2007, 05:30 PM
Vector Arms sells the Kurz versions, but other companies such as Bobcat sells the MP5A series (sans stock or they have a 16" barrel).

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=4

http://www.impactguns.com/store/vulcan.html

Hope this helps!

Andrew S
July 24, 2007, 05:31 PM
Heavy Metal is correct. K is short for Kurz which means short.

The MP5K is the short MP5. It is not a pistol. Even without the stock it comes with a front grip which immediately disqualifies it from being a pistol.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg15-e.htm

The SP-89 on the other hand is a pistol because it does not have the front grip or a stock.

DoubleTapDrew
July 24, 2007, 05:35 PM
I thought MP5K/SP89= pistol version,
MP5K-PDW= folding stock version

You could have gotten one for $42 here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976731896.htm
:confused::confused:

Depending on how much $$ you have you can find a few full auto MP5K's but it looks like SP89s are scarce.
Does the vertical foregrip on the semi ones make them an AOW?

for_hire
July 24, 2007, 05:45 PM
can anyone confirm that vector arms are reliable? seems like this would be my best bet

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 05:51 PM
A friend of mine has a V53 from Vector, good fit/finish and works well. Their Uzi's seem pretty good, next to an IMI Uzi they still look decent.

nwilliams
July 24, 2007, 07:17 PM
Vector and Bobcat(Red Rock Arms) are the only ones with decent customer relations. A lot of companies in the HK clone biz have very questionable quality and service, Vector is pretty good though.

Bobcat? As in formally Special Weapons and how many other name changes?

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/055/ripoff0055501.htm

I've owned several HK MP5 clones and I would never buy another unless JLD came out with one. The other two I owned I bought used for about half the price of what they sold for new and it was still more then they were worth IMO:barf:

The only HK clone company I would trust is JLD. No experience with Vector so I can't comment on their quality.

DoubleTapDrew
July 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Bobcat? As in formally Special Weapons and how many other name changes?

No they changed again. Now they are called Red Rock Arms :uhoh:

pdowg881
July 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
ive shot my friends mp5k. It's pretty fun. But burning through the ammo gets expensive.

Prince Yamato
July 24, 2007, 07:42 PM
I thought the "K" meant "Kirche Gewer". Jeez, no wonder the parishioners at St. Mary's gave me weird looks! :D

Father Knows Best
July 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
I've heard good things about Vector, and lots of very bad things about Bobcat. I don't have personal experience with either of them.

for_hire
July 24, 2007, 11:44 PM
thanks for all the links..I know very little about these companies but i'm going to get a MP5K just choosing one that will work very well is my only concern.

does anyone have bad track records with atlantic, vulcan, or vector? if so would you please elaborate on both the positives and negatives?...thanks

Quiet
July 24, 2007, 11:47 PM
If you look hard enough you can still find H&K SP-89s. They usually sell in the $3000-5000 range depending on condition.

Vector Arms, Cohaire Arms, Bobcat make good SP-89 clones. That usually sell in the $1000-1500 range.

Keep in mind that no matter which type you get, installing the MP-5K forward pistol grip will make it a NFA item. Which, with out approval, makes it a federal felony.

To get approval, check with your state's laws to see if you can own an AOW. Then send in your Form 1 and $5 fee to the BATFE. Once you get approval and your tax stamp, then you can legally attach the forward pistol grip.

STAY AWAY from Vulcan Arms.

trueblue1776
July 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
Vulcan/Hesse has a fetish for glue and grinders, have made some nasty nasty examples of redneck ingenuity. That POS 50 cal they started selling about 5 years ago must have had a whole can of rubber cement in it.

But it's been a few years, maybe they've bought a wrench and a rivet gun since then. Maybe they have changed their motto from "PAY CASH AND F### YOU" also, but I doubt it.

MisterPX
July 25, 2007, 03:42 AM
To get approval, check with your state's laws to see if you can own an AOW. Then send in your Form 1 and $5 fee to the BATFE. Once you get approval and your tax stamp, then you can legally attach the forward pistol grip.

It's $200 to make an AOW. SO you might as well SBR it and have a stock on it too.

Guitargod1985
July 25, 2007, 03:52 AM
I've read that the ATF stamp can take up to two months for approval. Does anyone know if this is true? I've been considering purchasing a short barreled rifle with a suppressor, but it would be nice to know how long approval would take.

trueblue1776
July 25, 2007, 07:17 AM
The approval time really depends on the local ATF, first time stamp applicants can wait up to six months, second time applicants sometimes as little as one month. 2-3 Months is the norm in Alabama.

kBob
July 25, 2007, 09:11 AM
Got to play with an HK MP5k with a German police group a couple of decades ago. This was a pistolized MP5 that featured a slingswivel where the stock would have been and the front pistolgrip/muzzle guard. The entry team using it had a man wearing a harness that used a figure eight strap like most under arm holsters and had a pair of straps on the rifht shoulder end. The gun could be dropped and then point straight down if you needed to transition, but more importantly the gun could be pushed forwar to tighten the straps. With both hands pushing the MP5k out and the strap resisiting the push it made for a fairly stable shooting position. They were using it to shoot through doors or shranks (wardrobes) where a bad guy may have hidden. Can't imagine an American policeman doing that, but they simply drew a figure eight on the door with a single burst and the strap gave them enough control to do that. In most of the drills after ventalating a door the MP5k gunner transitioned to handgun rather than reloading the MP5k, and the HK hung neatly out of the way.

I have often wondered what the status of a handgun with such a sling would be under US NFA34. It is after all not a stock and it works backwards to a stock, forward pressure rather than rearward. For acroos the room and less I found the MP5k WITH THE SLING to be controlable in full auto fire, even with long bursts. It was not nearly as controllable for me using the push with the support hand and that arm exteneded and pull with the firing hand method of firing a folded SMG or RIfle as with the sling.

WHen they were available as semi auto handguns in the US in the mid to late 1980;s I thought they were over priced and tactically not s good as a traditional handgun with out that strap.

I would keep an eye on the auction sights and see if an original HK pistol type import ever comes up and be prerared for a bidding war.

-Bob Hollingsworth

for_hire
July 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
I've been looking at the Vector Arms PDW with extension.If i was to purchase that particular one I would not have to pay the tax correct?

Thats about the only reason I would want one with a fake suppressor on it.

Im really only considering the PDW and the PDW(SBR). but Vector seems to me that they are the best quality.

trueblue1776
July 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
I've been looking at the Vector Arms PDW with extension.If i was to purchase that particular one I would not have to pay the tax correct?

Correct

Looks like they are out of 9mm guns, best bet would probably be the .40, though the 10mm or .357sig would be badass! :evil:

for_hire
July 25, 2007, 12:36 PM
are there any benifits in having the extension? other than not paying the tax fee? im just trying to make sure this is a good choice before i spend this much money..ive always wanted one though ;-)

trueblue1776
July 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
are there any benifits in having the extension?

Nope, just save 200$ tax plus any dealer charges for a Class III transfer

for_hire
July 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
thanks thats what i was thinking..I like the SBR version better because it doesnt have that long extension on it...

the only other question i have is..

what is the benifit of having a SBR in 9mm?

AJ Dual
July 25, 2007, 01:18 PM
are there any benifits in having the extension? other than not paying the tax fee? im just trying to make sure this is a good choice before i spend this much money..ive always wanted one though ;-)

There is one advantage to a 16" NFA unrestricted barrel.

9mm gets a significant velocity boost in a 16" barrel. It puts it within spitting distance of .357 magnum out of a 4" revolver. If the sights on that HK were different, you'd also get more inherent accuracy with a longer sight radius, but of course it's the same as a real MP5K. The sights ride atop the reciever and cocking handle tube, and go no further than that.

However, for a weapon of that size and much less expense, you could get a 16" barreled .223/5.56 AR or some other rifle or carbine, and have much more firepower.

The advantage to the SBR is compactness for concealability. (IIRC, somebody makes a very cool chest rig that slings an MP5K with the PDW stock in an armpit, and unfolds the stock as you draw it.) and it's easier to manuver through hallways and doorways when engaged in CQB.

Although I HOPE that's not a very real need for you! It would just be easier to move to a safer neighborhood. :)

Back in '96 I had an HK-94 A3, the semi-auto 16" barreled version of the MP5. I bought it in '94 just before the ban for $2000, and sold in in '96 for $3000. It was neat, and got looks at the range, but I couldn't justify having $3000 wrapped up in a 9mm squirter for myself. So I sold it, kept $600 for a Colt sporter AR, and used the other $2400 to buy my then girlfriend an engagement ring.

I'm assuming you want the HK more for the "having" than any particular specific need, and that's totally understandable, so jumping through the hoops to SBR it and have it be as "authentic" as possible makes perfect sense to me.

Me, I'd really love to put together a semi-auto Krinkov/AKSU SBR someday... I really ought to get a parts kit while I can.

IIRC, Vector is the company with the best reputation, and they've been in business at least since the 1980's back when they did a lot of work turning semi-auto HK94's into full-auto "MP5's", before the '86 civilian machine gun freeze got snuck into the '86 FOPA. So it seems to me they ought to know their way around HK-pattern weapons.

Dravur
July 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
But I wouldn't take a bobcat/special weapons gun if you wrapped it in a chocolate cake and had Heidi Klum deliver it. Vector has a good rep and hasn't had to change their name 20 times. Take a moment and look up bobcat arms on the web and see what you get.

Now, as I understand it.... and I have owned an MP5SD, the following is true.
The K means Kurz, which means that all variants of the gun/PDW are short.

The sp89 or MP5K without a stock and with the "non-gripped" forearm is considered a pistol.

Add the grip and I believe <repeat, believe> it becomes an AOW and can be covered by the $5 tax stamp. I might be wrong, but that is my understanding.

If you add a stock, you now have an SBR, requiring the form 4 and the $200 payment to your handlers.

If you buy one and don't let me shoot it, well, that is a bad bad thing.

Zoogster
July 25, 2007, 10:59 PM
Add the grip and I believe <repeat, believe> it becomes an AOW and can be covered by the $5 tax stamp. I might be wrong, but that is my understanding.
Making an AOW is a $200 stamp, transfering one is a $5 stamp if legal in your state.

By being the first to register (get permission and stamp) something as an AOW that was previously a pistol you are creating the AOW.

So it would cost the same either way.
However it would be cheaper for the person you later sell it to.

The SBR however would be just as compact with a collapsible stock, yet allow for more precision and control with it extended. Better item to have instead of being restricted to only one configuration.

Funny how a small little grip in the front changes everything.

rugerdude
July 26, 2007, 12:31 AM
Funny how you can't make a pistol bigger and less concealable by adding a stock isn't it?

Crunker1337
July 26, 2007, 07:53 PM
Cohaire Arms is supposed to be okay, check out www.hk54.com which is the closest thing they have to an official website.
Best thing is, you get plenty of variety in calibers and configurations.

Though I should mention if you want to stick with 9mm, Vector should probably do you good.

for_hire
July 26, 2007, 08:04 PM
well, Ive made the first step into getting a MP5K... However right now there is no 9mm in stock and thats the caliber im interested in but 357 sig sounds cool..is there another site or company that offers the vector arms version of this gun?

trueblue1776
July 26, 2007, 08:50 PM
You could always get a rifle caliber

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=86

I think going with a company other than Vector or JLD is risking serious disappointment.

caymangone
July 28, 2007, 08:01 PM
I've got a Bobcat Weapons BW-89 SP pistol I need to sell. It has a 30 rd clip and a forward grip (not installed). I bought the grip in anticipation of going AOW. I've shot a total of 10 rds through it. Very nice gun. I've owned a couple of other Bobcats and I never had any issues. This particular model they don't make any more.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Just saw you were looking for something like this.

I bought a Barrett 50 BMG so this one has to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mp5k" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!