30 carbine

PDA

yotesmoker
July 24, 2007, 08:26 PM
Have been considering getting a A/O carbine so I started looking over the in{fo from consumers.Lots of negative info on the net,but then I noticed most of the info was a couple of years old.Are their carbines any better now or should I forget about them.Don't need info on the military ones[have 2]

If you enjoyed reading about "30 carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunTech
July 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
Auto Ordnance is own by Kahr. There was a recent review of theit carbine in AR. I looked at one at a local gunshop and it looks decent, but has the old stykle sights and runs around $900. Why not just get a GI carbine from CMP?

davera
July 24, 2007, 09:39 PM
900 sounds like a pretty high price. I paid 550 for one a couple of years back. Mostly, I like mine just fine.

DougW
July 24, 2007, 10:42 PM
Mine was $620 out the door in May. I replaced the rear sight for $39 (I think). CMP rifles are a little bit cheaper, but all carbines are going to be high these days. Mine functions flawlessly.

Texasred
July 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
Are those 100% interchangable with all parts including the receiver??
I plan to get one, but to shoot alot since I already have an original that was my dads and would like to preserve it.
I would need to buy lots of spare parts for them... right?

Hypnogator
July 25, 2007, 01:36 AM
Mine was $620 out the door in May.

Mine was $20.00 from the CMP! Yeah, I'm that old! :cool::neener::neener::neener:

22/22mag
July 25, 2007, 02:59 AM
My Kahr M1.30 carbine folding stock + National Ord,M1 .30 carbine .The Kahr is new version and works great the National Ord, older but works just as well.The M1 .30 carbines are short light weight rifles with soft point rounds they are like shooting a .357 mag with the recoil of a .22.They now live in the safe now that I have a 45colt pump Thunderbolt realy like those big holes.

Kimber1911_06238
July 25, 2007, 09:59 AM
I saw a few M1 carbines in the gun shop yesterday. I was just concerned about availability of parts. are there lots of parts available? or if it breaks am i just going to be stuck with a non-working carbine?

Baba Louie
July 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
Parts? You say you might be in need of a part?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2070zM1%20CARBINE

What with a few million Carbines mfg back in the day... I think they can manage to find the occasional odd part. At least for the next 50 years or so. After that it might get iffy.

yotesmoker
July 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
OK.I'm still on the fence about the khar m-1 carbine.I have two military ones in the safe and looking for another just to shoot the hell out of it.I had a plainfield a little while ago but had two problems with it.It would stovepipe a lot and was not the least bit accurate,even scoped.The plainfield is still available,any suggestions as to what causes stovepipes?

MechAg94
July 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
Realistically, what is the likely good of getting a carbine from CMP once they start selling the other rifles. The Inland carbines sold out in 3 weeks. The next rifles will still probably sell out very quickly despite being $550+. I am not sure if telling someone "get a CMP carbine" is realistic. I would say the same applies to Garands as they are not available right now.

George S.
July 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
I waited three weeks before sending in my order for a CMP Inland and got it with time to spare. I woundup with a nice October '44 Inland with a July 44 barrel with a shiny bore and a stock in very good condition and no FAT stamp.

Granted, the rest of the carbine supplys by other manufacturers are going to go quickly, but the best thing to do if somebody really wants a CMP carbine is to have all the proper paperwork ready to go before the date orders will be accepted and then get an order off using a priority delivery like FedEx or USPS. The CMP will apparently have limited numbers of other carbines at the North Store at Camp Perry OH.

As far as Garands, there is talk of a new supply by later this year or early next spring.

SSN Vet
July 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
This question came up not long ago and I'm pretty sure I read that the AO/Kahr carbines are indeed mil. spec. and that parts are interchangeable.....

also....I believe Kahrs ship with a stack (four if I'm not mistaken) of refurbished mags a mag. pouch and a sling.

some guys posted about head space problems, which Kahr fixed under the factory warantee.

I want one......someday when funds permit.

DougW
July 25, 2007, 11:13 PM
My Auto Ordnance M1 did not have any accesories, only 1 rebuilt 15 round magazine. I weighed the option of going with a CMP rifle, but the early reports kinda made me a bit gun shy. Turns out that the rifles are better than the early descriptions. At any rate, I am not disappointed with my M1. It is accurate and functions perfectly so far. Does what I need.

Guitargod1985
July 25, 2007, 11:38 PM
Well, the Auto Ordnance model is chambered for .30 carbine, so ammon would be cheaper than .30-06. But then you have an effective range of maybe 300 yards/

Logan5
July 26, 2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110_f.html

Unless you're in CA, (then they come with 1 10 rd mag) you get 1 15 round mag with the gun. Everything else is extra.

According to the American Rifleman article, they put a lot of work into painfully recreating an early WWII flat bolt carbine on modern machinery. The only one I've seen was a birch stocked variant with a pretty low SN, and I've learned my lesson on low SN's from tier < 1 manufacturers. It appears the birch stocked variant has since been dropped ($674 MSRP) in favor of the walnut, and MSRP on that one has climbed $70 since May '06.

yotesmoker
July 28, 2007, 08:46 PM
Well I went back to my dealer and got back my plainfield.I have no idea why but it went thru 150 rounds without any problems.While there I looked over the A/O carbine.Couldn't help myself and it came home with me also.The only problem I had with A/O was with my other mags.One other thing,should the rear flip sight have the funnel end facing you or not.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!