CLP on Walnut?

PDA

Taffnevy
July 24, 2007, 09:33 PM
I was cleaning my shotgun today, and got a bit of CLP on the walnut stock. It felt nice, and looked nice so I spread on a thin coat and wiped it down.

Was this a bad move? Will it harm the wood?

If you enjoyed reading about "CLP on Walnut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eliphalet
July 24, 2007, 09:38 PM
CLP might have petroleum distillates I wouldn't recommend it for your stock. Use linseed oil or something similar for wood care. That said I use CLP on steel parts, blued or stainless all the time and do not worry if some gets on my walnut stocks.

.45&TKD
July 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
CLP on Walnut?

EEK!

dfariswheel
July 25, 2007, 12:21 AM
DO NOT use CLP or any other gun lubricant on any wood.
The only oils that are good for wood are oils like boiled linseed oil, tung oil, etc.

Gun oils will cause the wood to soften, turn black, and rot.

rangerruck
July 25, 2007, 01:32 AM
that.... http://www.thehighroad.org/images/smilies/eek.gif
:eek:

quicktime
July 25, 2007, 10:15 AM
I use Minwax Floor wax on my composite rifle stock it works great and if you get a scratch grab some 220 sandpaper the can and a rag and it's good as new.

Taffnevy
July 25, 2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys, as soon as I had done it I felt it may have been a mistake. I pulled it out this morning to wipe it off for a third time and it looked dry and fine. I don't think any really soaked in at all.

I think I'm going to let it be for now, but if I ever come across a small bottle of tung or linseed oil I'll pick it up.

Tully M. Pick
July 25, 2007, 04:21 PM
We used to use CLP on the wood stocks of our shotguns in the MAG-31 armory with no ill effects. It was common practice to use it instead of linseed oil, I believe. These were trench guns that had been around for quite a bit.

.cheese.
July 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
I've heard of people doing it. I've gotten CLP on wood before (the table for example). In fact I just wiped some off of the wood counter I keep all my gun supplies that had been sitting there for at least a week. I've never seen anything happen to the wood.

Which CLP? The one I'm talking about is Break-Free.

Taffnevy
July 27, 2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I'm talking about BreakFree as well. I imagine that it wouldn't break down the wood, but you never know. Better to be safe than sorry.

ElrodCod
July 27, 2007, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't put CLP (Breakfree) on anything.

Chipperman
July 27, 2007, 02:16 PM
I've gotten CLP on wood stocks many times, and have seen no ill effects. With that said, I do not intentionally spray it on wood. If I get some on the stock, I just wipe it down as you did.

If you enjoyed reading about "CLP on Walnut?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!