looking for info on ruger m77 and 338 mag

PDA

powerstroke79
July 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
any one have any experience with the ruger m77 or 338 mag or both together :) looking for a elk gun. thanks for the help

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for info on ruger m77 and 338 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zgate
July 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
I have that exact gun, I love mine. The trigger needs a little work but once thatís done it is very accurate a long way out. I bought it new about 13 years ago and it has never given me any trouble.

Itís not something you will want to spend a lot of time on the bench with but prone or sitting itís not bad at all.

ID_shooting
July 24, 2007, 11:55 PM
Wow, how big are the elk where you are from? I got one this last year from my dad (cancer and cant shoot any more), Win M70 in .338 WM that is.

I dispise shooting this rifle. I litterally pains me to fire it, makes my whole right side go numb after four or five rounds. I shot it just enough to sight the scope in for me and it hasn't seen daylight since. I clean it about every 3 months or so just to rust check but I never plan on using this thing.

Every elk I have killed has been done with a 30-06.

Now the rugers, they are nice guns, I have one in .308 and .223. Good solid actions, nice to look at, and hunting accurate.

CB900F
July 25, 2007, 12:13 AM
Powerstroke;

I've got a .338WM on a Tikka platform. I handload & run a 225 grain bullet out the muzzle just on 2900 fps. I weigh around 170 & am not a spring chicken. I don't feel that what I shoot is punishing at all.

I got it simply because I wanted one for a bear, moose, elk, gun. I hunted for decades with a .30-06 & it's a fine round that'll kill any of the three mentioned above. Yup, it recoils more than my ought-6. Nope, it isn't all that bad. Keep in mind that stock fit and design can have as much to do with felt recoil as the cartridge itself.

900F

Malamute
July 25, 2007, 12:33 AM
I had an M-77 in .338 a few years ago. It would shoot sub-inch groups @ 100 yards with decent loads. Mine was an older tang safety model that locked the bolt when on. I had a decelerator pad put on it, and it was not unpleasant to shoot at all with 250 and 275 gr loads. I don't think I ever shot it off a bench rest, and that may have something to do with the percieved comfort level.

I regret trading it off, tho I do like my Whitworth .375 that I replaced it with.

The .338 is a great round. You can kill elk with less rifle, but I prefer to carry enough rifle for whatever else I may run into when hunting elk or deer.

If you get an older Ruger with the floorplate catch protruding into the trigger guard, I suggest removing the protrusion. Could lead to an embarrasing moment. I had mine removed right off.

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for info on ruger m77 and 338 mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!