Help me with a caption

PDA

Oleg Volk
July 25, 2007, 01:01 AM
I need a caption to the effect of: "people don't turn into psychos just because they pick up different arms". Picture shows the same guy holding an autoloader, a pump and a SxS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me with a caption" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skinnyguy
July 25, 2007, 01:05 AM
The psycho chooses the weapon. The chosen weapon didn't create the evil inside them.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
"You're not a psycho because you own a gun...you're just prepared for them."

Fast Frank
July 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
I don't know why, but when I read your post I though of that pic of the killer Cho posing with the claw hammer.

Maybe you could work that image into this idea?

JamesM
July 25, 2007, 01:15 AM
Anits still could say the psycho would kill fewer people with a SxS than the other options.

"A nice pen doesnt create a poet" and "A semi-auto doesn’t create a murderer"

Eightball
July 25, 2007, 01:18 AM
"The user makes the weapon, not the other way around" or something. Maybe I shouldn't try to think this hard early in the AM's.

mnrivrat
July 25, 2007, 01:35 AM
It's not the type of gun - it's the type of person

edit : perhaps

Safety is about the type of person , not the type of gun

or something akin to those ?

edit : Being safe is about the type of person you encounter, not the type of gun !

Nematocyst
July 25, 2007, 01:44 AM
"Psycho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic)" refers to people, not guns.

bogie
July 25, 2007, 01:48 AM
I'd change it to "People don't change because they pick up a tool." And do three sets... CMP-type shooter, shotgunner, and guy with his family behind him in a burglarly scenario... with a sidebar picture of the guy with an axe or a chainsaw (smiling and working...).

hobbeeman
July 25, 2007, 02:55 AM
I like the idea of the same psycho using various weapons to prove the point. (If I remember correctly, Ted Bundy killed several women in one dormatory/sorority house with a club of firewood)

ArfinGreebly
July 25, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'm just gonna let my mind drift a little with this . . .

Three drafts later (and I'm gettin' tired):

My brush didn't turn me into Picasso.
My hammer didn't turn me into Bob Vila.
My car didn't turn me into Richard Petty.
My rifle didn't turn me into Charles Manson.
I guess it isn't things that make me who I am.

Librarian
July 25, 2007, 03:11 AM
Someone uses this as his/her .sig

''Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.''
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killers hands.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, 45 AD.

A gun is a tool. For 2,000 years we have known tools can be misused.

The appearance of a tool does not determine its function.

Caimlas
July 25, 2007, 03:39 AM
A modification of what skinnyguy said: "The psycho choses the weapon; the weapon doesn't chose him."

Or how about "Only psychopaths think the weapon picks them," - or maybe that sends the wrong message?

How about including something other than a firearm to compare it to? Say, a bloodied knife, a hatchet, and a pistol? There are very few people in my experience, as far as I know, who think that an AK is a 'murder weapon' who don't also think the same of a youth model single barrel 20 gauge with a wooden stock... an anti is likely to reach the opposite conclusion of the intended message, ie, "See, they're all capable of the same carnage! ban them all!"

Maybe a cute, innocent, and scared-looking female holding a scawwy black assault wheelbarrow rifle, and a scary-looking freak (blood on his shirt) holding a pink-handled gardening spade? Or, don't have them holding them, but have a cartoonish 'cutout' jagged line around where the object should be, and then two more boxes/photos of those objects which could be overlaid. Subtitle: "Match the killer with their preferred weapon".

ConfuseUs
July 25, 2007, 04:58 AM
"If he is not nuts when he has this:" *holding SxS*
"then he is not nuts when he has this:" *holding EBR w/ big mag*

jeepmor
July 25, 2007, 05:04 AM
A gun does not a psycho make.

Inanimate objects don't make people psychotic, big pharma does.

Andrewsky
July 25, 2007, 06:24 AM
A little off-topic. I made this tonight.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb30/Andrewsky89/guncontrol1.jpg?t=1185356857

MaterDei
July 25, 2007, 06:29 AM
Very nice, Andrewsky! You did such a good job with your message that the "the only thing anti..." comment is unneeded.

1911Tuner
July 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
It's probably a waste of time to try and convince the antis of the killer versus the tool that he/she chooses. They already understand that the gun isn't inherently evil, and that picking one up doesn't turn anyone into a killer. They understand that a psycho like Cho could have killed someone with practically any hard object that was at hand. Their argument is that the gun makes the nutcase a more efficient killer...and that's true. So, the answer seems to lie in figuring a way to work that angle, rather than saying the same thing over and over. Their answer seems to be to restrict everyone's access to guns in order to thwart a few. So, maybe we should focus more on the issue of arming many in order to prepare for the killer who will not be thwarted, despite their efforts. To counter their mindset that it's better for all to be helpless than for all to be armed.

KMKeller
July 25, 2007, 07:32 AM
How about;

A psycho picks from a variety of tools (pic of screwdriver, kitchen knife, gun, etc)

The tools don't make him a psycho.

Owens
July 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
"If guns make you nuts, then forks make you fat."

308win
July 25, 2007, 08:23 AM
A dinner plate doesn't cause bulemia either.

Harry Paget Flashman
July 25, 2007, 09:40 AM
A dinner plate doesn't cause bulemia either.

Only when it's loaded?

P.S. They're always loaded. (Rule 1.)

hso
July 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
Remember we're not trying to change the mind of the antis. They're a waste of time. We're trying to reach the folks that are undecided and are being propagandized to by the antis. They outnumber pros like us and the gun prohibitionists combined and should be our real target. Everything we do should be directed at them and that includes when we argue with a gun prohibitionist. Use the argument to present our case to the audience and not the anti.

A person isn't made a psycho killer by an inanimate object like a knife or a gun or a car any more than a charity letter will turn them into a saint.

A gun doesn't magically turn someone into a psycho killer any more than a Harry Potter costume turns your kid into a wizard.

A gun doesn't magically turn someone into a psycho killer any more than plastic wand turns you're little brother into a mighty wizard.

A gun doesn't magically turn someone into a psycho killer any more than having children make you good parents.

A gun doesn't magically turn someone into a psycho killer any more than the car you drive turns you into a NASCAR winner.

Sistema1927
July 25, 2007, 10:10 AM
"It is the craftsman, not the tool"

contrasted with:

"It is the warrior, not the weapon"

bensdad
July 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
Caption under a guy with a sxs, hunting pheasants or something... "Normal guy"

Caption under the same guy at a CMP competition (have several frames in the poster)... "Still normal"

Same guy, out to dinner with family, but with obvious open carry. Caption says, "Yep, sill normal"

Same guy defending home against intruder/prepared for break-in (whatever). Now the caption says, "Prepared... as normal"

snorko
July 25, 2007, 10:26 AM
"It's the driver, not the car"

Snake Eyes
July 25, 2007, 10:28 AM
My favorite old saying along these lines:

It aint the arrows.......It's the Indian!

TallPine
July 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
You know Oleg, if it were me I would make a poster that strikes at a lower level - guns period, rather than types of guns.

Maybe something like a nice looking young man in a suit and tie, dressed for church, maybe even holding a Bible -

contrasted with a picture of the same young man with his coat off and his CCW exposed.

Or something to that general effect - just to get a point that a person you trust without a weapon is still the same person with a weapon.

308win
July 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
TallPine makes a good point. In the final analysis, having the ability to defend oneself doesn't make one a bad person - or at least it shouldn't.

kludge
July 25, 2007, 11:46 AM
Guns don't project. People do.

Your fear doesn't affect his mental stability.

JimmyN
July 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
Maybe point out that mass murderers are not limited to firearms, using schools as an example.

Reference the school massacre in Japan where a knife was used.
And the school bombing in Michigan that was the worst school massacre in US history, killing 45 students and teachers, if I remember correctly.

And I seem to recall that there were some similar incidents in Canada and Great Britain.

SDC
July 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
How about something along the lines of "Do your tools control YOU?", with pictures of people holding hammers, saws, axes, and guns?

offthepaper
July 25, 2007, 12:22 PM
"Since criminals don't respect laws, maybe they'll respect this."
:evil:

Blackbeard
July 25, 2007, 01:33 PM
Need a poster with two rows of photos:

Top row: [Manson photo] plus [knife photo] not equal symbol [Normal person photo] plus [knife photo]

Bottom row: Same layout, but using Cho+Glock not equal Normal+Glock

trueblue1776
July 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
I made one that I thought was funny

CountGlockula
July 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
Moved.

RandyC
July 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
Arfin, you're my hero. You left no room for debate.

Brad Johnson
July 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
"Tools don't choose their user."

"Actions, not objects, determine good and evil."

skinnyguy
July 25, 2007, 03:37 PM
I just thought of another one, kind of wordy, but I think it makes the point.

Owning a chainsaw doesn't make me a lumberjack or a mass murderer in Texas. Owning a firearm doesn't make me an expert marksman or a mass murderer. I make my own choices with the tools I have.

Mantua
July 25, 2007, 03:43 PM
''Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.''
(A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killers hands.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca, 45 AD.

One vote for this. Or the good ol' standby, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

.45Guy
July 25, 2007, 03:46 PM
Librarian, someone actually noticed my sig line:D It conveys the message quite succinctly.

atk
July 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
I very much like ArfinGreebly's post, but may I suggest a change (italicized)?

My brush didn't turn me into Picasso.
My hammer didn't turn me into Bob Vila.
My car didn't turn me into Richard Petty.
My rifle didn't turn me into Charles Manson.
It's the things I do, not the things I have
That make me the man I am

Taxpayer
July 25, 2007, 04:05 PM
Ted Kenendys driving has killed more people than any of these firearms have.

Guntalk
July 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
"He was a good person before he picked this up. He still is."

spankaveli
July 25, 2007, 04:34 PM
Crazy is a state of mind, not a state of machinery.

Bobo
July 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
"Objects don't change morals"

Rokyudai
July 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm new here bear with me...

I will go Frost with this... "I have taken the road less travelled...and that has made all the difference."

The High Road that is!

kellyj00
July 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
"it's the man that does the shooting, not the arms"

308win
July 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
The life he saves may be yours.

AlaskaErik
July 25, 2007, 06:50 PM
Very nice, Andrewsky! You did such a good job with your message that the "the only thing anti..." comment is unneeded.

I believe that quote is very necessary. Those who only hunt and want to distance themselves from EBRs, ala Jim Zumbo, must be made aware of what the future holds. Any hunter who believes the DemocRats will stop short of confiscating hunting rifles will be in for a rude shock at some point.

AlaskaErik
July 25, 2007, 06:53 PM
Andrewsky, I really like the concept and the wording. My only suggestion is to make the bottom two rifles the same proportions as the tommy gun and place the text to the right, as with the tommy gun. Then put the anti statement at the very bottom.

DavidVS
July 25, 2007, 07:47 PM
"A tool to stop a criminal threat does not create a criminal desire."

Rudy Kohn
July 25, 2007, 10:47 PM
How about:

"Different tools, same man"
possibly followed by:
" Objects can't commit murder."

Not sure whether "inanimate" makes it too long... also, the "commit murder" part might be turned around by the opposition and made to imply that gun owners are murderers (or some such nonsense), so I'm not sure whether its overall effect on the caption is positive.

I think the point to get across is that the observer is in no danger in any of the three pictures, but that kind of approach is easy to attack with the "get rid of the weapon, and he couldn't have killed" kind of counterargument. That argument makes a picture such as the one described difficult to use to promote firearm use/ownership, as it immediately elicits a strong emotional response from the opposition.

I liked bensdad's and Tallpine's approaches--showing a regular person with different tools, [I]which could be misused, despite not being firearms, and showing the same person with a firearm, and making the point that the observer is in the same danger (or lack thereof) in each picture. Essentially, remove the opportunity for the opposition to say, "Get rid of weapons, you'll be safer," by subtly making the additional point that almost any hand tool (or bare hands) can be used as a deadly weapon, if the user is determined to do harm.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter, for what they're worth.

SaMx
July 25, 2007, 10:54 PM
in terms of "inanimate objects don't commit murder," use that caption, over two pictures, one of a guy with a ski mask and the saiga, and the other of the same guy with the ski mask and the double shotgun.

harpethriver
July 25, 2007, 11:30 PM
I don't fear inanimate objects. I do, however, fear some of the people who use them.

Chrome
July 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
Does your pencil cause you to misspell words?

Later,
Chrome...

Lonestar49
July 25, 2007, 11:41 PM

Taxpaying, middle class, honest citizen

LS

iiibdsiil
July 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
"I picked this one up, and didn't want to kill anyone. Then I picked this one up, and I still didn't want to kill anyone. I picked the last one up, and I felt different, oh, nevermind, that's the grip."

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me with a caption" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!