the Mosin Nagant M44--worth buying?

PDA

scubie02
July 25, 2007, 08:32 AM
ok, so I found this little hardware store that I was wandering around and in the back room he had one of these hanging on the wall with a sling in what appeared to be new condition (looked like the 8 gazillion you see for sale at gunshows) and during our conversation (an old guy owns it--it's where I bought my forst gun a gazillion years ago) he mentions that it's used and he'd sell it for $50. Now, when I was a kid you used to see the used military bolt guns selling for that in every gunshop--and good ones, British Enfields and Mausers and Krags, etc. If you were a high school kid you might buy them for a cheap first deer gun, or for a "trunk gun" or beater backup or whatever. Now those have dried up, or go for way more money (damn I wish I had bought every one I had seen as a kid--hell, you could get the "crappier" models like the Japs or the Carcano's like Oswald used for $25-$35 often times) so anyway, I'm half tempted to pick it up just for nostalgia reasons and because what can you get for $50. Opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "the Mosin Nagant M44--worth buying?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
News Shooter
July 25, 2007, 08:34 AM
You can't NOT buy it. It's a hoot to shoot.

dfaugh
July 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
Well, I sold my re-arsenelled Polish (excellent condition) for $140 (with some ammo) if that tells you anything.

JonB
July 25, 2007, 08:46 AM
Check the bore - it is looks good then its a decent buy. I bought one from Interordnance for 69 about 8 months ago. All matching numbers, shoots great, etc. Then I bought another with a laminate stock from Classic Arms for 99 but the number on the floorplate didn't match. Even with the one number mismatch it was a beautiful gun as well. Looked brand new. I switched stocks and send the non-laminate one to my dad.

So 50 bucks isn't a steal, but is still a great price. No shipping charges, maybe a little sales tax, etc. I'd say go for it.

scubie02
July 25, 2007, 08:47 AM
yeah, it's tough to pass on a functioning firearm for $50! haha. I purchased a no 1 mk iv 303 Enfield from him the day I was there for $100 which I haven't had a chance to shoot yet, so it'd continue my military bolt gun collection I guess (picked up a K98 Mauser a couple of years ago)

I do see that aimsurplus sells them new for $79 or some such amount, so given that I guess $50 isn't such an out of place price for used, but still, $50...two boxes of ammo and you've spent more than on the gun!

iamkris
July 25, 2007, 08:58 AM
How can you NOT buy a rifle for under $100?

offthepaper
July 25, 2007, 09:23 AM
Well, I sold my re-arsenelled Polish (excellent condition) for $140 (with some ammo) if that tells you anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I wish you had sold that to me. ;)

Navy_Guns
July 25, 2007, 09:23 AM
Heck, that's about what I paid for this shot-out Hungarian one. I know a lot of folks on the board think this is blasphemy to the MILSURP gods, but when I'm done with it she'll shoot the same .454 rounds as my Raging Bull. :neener: It'll take a little doing, but I think I can come up with a load for it that will give me the same 12" fireball at the muzzle... :evil:

cracked butt
July 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't expect much from a $100 M44 much less a $50 one. If it doesn't shoot, its a good piece to practice gunsmithing skills on. The $50 romanian M44 I bought several years ago shot keyholing bullets. I ended up recrowning it, which didn't help, then I tried counterboring it which really ruined the barrel, finally I cut and recrowned it for practice along with using it for practicing glass bedding. Not a shooter, but I got $50 worth of learning out of it, and still have spare parts that I could eventually sell.

SShooterZ
July 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
Buy it!

Although, they kick a little bit more than the M91/30.

Ammo is cheap as dirt too.

Coronach
July 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well worth it.

Mike

rangerruck
July 25, 2007, 11:14 AM
mosins are the most value worthy rifle ever built, they will last forever, and you may get lucky with one that has all matching numbers, and can shoot lights out.
plus the ammo is cheap, and can knock over a money truck.

Coronach
July 25, 2007, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't expect much from a $100 M44 much less a $50 one.I dunno. They were selling rearsenalled ones that looked LNIC (Like New In Crate ;) ) at a gunshow I was at late last year. The price started at $90 and dropped like a rock into the mid-sixties, since every freakin' dealer had a crate of them, and no one wanted to carry them back to the truck.

I gave in to temptation somewhere in the low 70's.

And, to the OP, throw in shoulder pad and you'll be G2G.

Mike

George S.
July 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
Run away fast!! Once you get the M44, you will want a 91/30, M38, a Finnish M91, M28, M28/30 then you'll want each of the Russian models from Tula, Izhevsk. Sestroryetsk, the French Chatternault version, and then the American New England Westinghouse, and Remington versions. Dragoons, 91/59 and then the sniper variants.

Forget any life you now have!! :D

Harry Paget Flashman
July 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
And then there's the arsenal, stock sling escutcheon and year variants of the T53's. :)

hksw
July 25, 2007, 12:46 PM
...so anyway, I'm half tempted to pick it up just for nostalgia reasons and because what can you get for $50. Opinions?

Forget nostalgia, the gun itself, as inexpensive as it is even at regular prices (~$75-$100), is a kick just to have. Heavy little beast that kicks like a mule and spits out fire like a dragon. Fun as hell.

Noxx
July 25, 2007, 12:48 PM
Grab it, unless he's got a 91/30 instead. The 91/30 shoots like a rifle, the M44 is a bit more like asking a drunken frat brother to punch you in the shoulder with wild abandon. Hell for $50 grab it and put a pad on it.

Frog48
July 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
Heck yeah, for $50 you're a fool if you dont buy it.

tinygnat219
July 25, 2007, 01:06 PM
Yes, get it. 50 dollars is an outstanding deal for this rifle.

foghornl
July 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
Whadda ya mean, it isn't already riding home with you in the trunk of your car ? ? ? ?

My Romanian M-44 is a real [ahem] "blast" to shoot. With some heavy ball ammo, I made a guy in the next lane shooting a .300WinMag pack it in for the day.....he was grumbling something about "Your gun is too **** LOUD!"

Essex County
July 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
My first one was a M91 Remington that I paid Fifteen bucks for back when I was in High School and the Beach Boys were makeing The airways sing. Any M-N you can latch Your hands on is a tremendous value. I have a very modest collection of a half dozen, including one 44. No, there not My favorite, however everyone should own several........Essex

sas
July 25, 2007, 03:10 PM
Buy. Ask if he has another one stashed and buy that one to.

ArmedBear
July 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
It's really not worth buying.

At the same time you'll REALLY REGRET IT IF YOU DON'T!:D

That may seem contradictory, but it's not. It's a Mosin. Objectively, a Mosin is a crude piece of crap. For some reason, though, you gotta love 'em.

Buy it!

Spiggy
July 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
jump on it like a fat kid on a cupcake!

If you enjoyed reading about "the Mosin Nagant M44--worth buying?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!