Looking to reload

PDA

Kacerdias
July 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
I've been shooting for years now and I'd like to take the next step and reload my own ammunition. I shoot a lot of .40S&W and 12guage shells, quite a bit of 9mm too. Where should I start? Is there a recommended kit out there I should be looking at? Anything to stay away from?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to reload" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jh9x18ky
July 25, 2007, 11:41 AM
If you are looking for a "starter" kit, without investing a lot of money, Lee has a couple of single stage press kits that work. I have the classic press kit, and for someone starting out, just to find out how to reload and see how interested you will be , I am well satisfied with mine. It works, no problems, and I dont have a big initial investment.

RNB65
July 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
If you scroll down the page, you'll see that there's a reloading forum here at THR.

Chuck Hawks has some good informative articles on reloading --

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2k_reloading.htm

Here's a whole website dedicated to reloading --

http://www.reloadbench.com/

Doug b
July 25, 2007, 11:46 AM
Buy a good reloading manual or two(you will need several once you get going),they all have a how too section.The ABC's of reloading is a good read also.
The folks in the hand loading forum are the best help you can get anywhere.Read the stickies and at least one manual and start asking them questions.

DonP
July 25, 2007, 11:49 AM
You'll need 2 separate systems, one for metallic cartridges like your .40 and 9 mm and another for your 12 guage shotshells.

I started a few years back, mainly to reload the 45 Colt. It can get addicting as a great way to spend the cold winter months up here.

My starter set was the Lee package too, with an indexed turret press (saves time with three or four dies in one turret), a reloading manual, a beam scale to weigh powder charges, a deburring tool and a bunch of other bits and pieces for about $75 IIRC. You'll need a different set of dies for each caliber.

I try and pick up the carbide dies if they are available, (no lubrication needed on most cartridges).

A shot shell starter kit is even cheaper at around $45 or so.

scrat
July 25, 2007, 12:49 PM
read the stickie at the top of the postings. then go out and buy some books.

NOW once you make the decision to purchase. here are the sources

www.midwayusa.com

www.leeprecision.com

www.ebay.com

yes ebay.

A kit is a good way to start however the lee anniversary kits will need more items. The kits come with everything except the dies for the specific round, and the lock stud and cutter to trim cases.

However you need to start some reading and look at some videos.

FieroCDSP
July 25, 2007, 02:49 PM
The "ABC's of Reloading" is the best book for beginners. It goes over everything in detail, in simple to understand language. I started off with "Metallic Cartridge Reloading" and was mostly confused, as it's filled with more advanced things like milling the brass for different calibers and such. The Aniversary Kit is good, though the classic turret press is a better deal for a few bucks more. I doubt too many people here have ditched or sold their single-stage after bumping up. There's always a use for it, be it for rifles or pulling bullets from mistakes.

lee n. field
July 25, 2007, 07:54 PM
I shoot a lot of .40S&W and 12guage shells, quite a bit of 9mm too. Where should I start? Is there a recommended kit out there I should be looking at? Anything to stay away from?

Check the sticky (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214) for basic advice. Buy some reloading manuals, and read them.

9 and .40, being metallic cartridges, are going to use a completely different set of equipment to reload them from what you'll need for shotgun.

Anything to stay away from? Not particularly. Lee Loaders, maybe. They do work, but they're twice as much work as anything and way slow for more than a few cartidges at a time.

Gaucho Gringo
July 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
If you don't mind used try looking on Craigslist.com. They have ads for all catagories in a lot of cities. Last week I picked up a hardly used like new Lyman Spartan press for $10.00. There was Dillon 550 setup last week for $300.00 complete that I missed by 10 min. Good deals are out there if you can wait a while.

nitesite
July 26, 2007, 12:49 AM
If you want to handload metallic cartridges for pistol, figure at least $200 to get a press. Plus dies and a weight scale which will allow you to load one caliber/cartridge. You may still have to pony up more money to buy a reloading manual or two, which is absolutely necessary to understand what you are about to do with your new apparatus. Also add $80 for a vibratory tumbler and cleaning media to make your used cases bright and clean.

Primers will cost you at least 2-cents each. Powder is cheap and might cost you somewhere between a penny or nickel per round. The bullet(s) you decide to use will cost between 8- to 20-cents each if bought commercially.

Loading shotgun ammo is pretty easy and fast, but you will probably spend at least $300 for the loader, and that does not include primers (which cost around $3-$4 per hundred) plus wads and powder (fairly inexpensive) and shot. You will pay around $30 for a 25-lb bag of shot, or even more.

Bottom line~~~~

You can handload 9mm or .45 or .38/.357 or whatever for as little as five bucks per 50 rounds and enjoy the fact that you chose the bullet weight and velocity that you want.

For shotgun loads you can make your own ammo with premium components for the same cost as the really cheap stuff you can find at some X-mart. My 12-ga loads cost me $4.25 a box and they are every bit as good (using high-quality components) as the Remington STS Premier or Nitro Gold which cost $7.00 plus tax at Wal-Mart.

You'll find that you haven't really saved money; you've just added a very satisfying hobby to your life that takes you away from your daily grind and into some kind of masculine fort that relieves your soul.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to reload" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!