West Coast Bullet Data

PDA

Silverback32
July 25, 2007, 11:58 AM
I recently bought a box of 500 West Coast Bullets(180 gr hp 40)

I understand this company is now X-treme bullets. Does anyone have reloading data for west coast bullets? Should I use X-treme data? Suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "West Coast Bullet Data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
July 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
Use data for lead bullets. If you have data from X-Treme bullets you can use that too. Hodgdon's data website didn't have much info for 180gr Lead, there was quite a bit at www.handloads.com.

The plating on these bullets is softer than a metal jacket so the bullet behaves pretty much like a lead bullet. If you can't find lead bullet data, reduce jacketed bullet data by 10% and work from there.

Yes, West Coast Bullets became X-Treme bullets but I don't know if they moved or are using the same facilities.

Walkalong
July 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
Plated bullets are in a class all by themselves. They do not behave like lead, nor like jacketed. Start in the middle of jacketed data and work up. I routinely shoot Raniers 115 RN at full jacketed data. I don't do that with all plated bullets, but I do use jacketed data as a guide and have never had any problems.

Lead data is too conservative for plated bullets. I do like NavyLT suggested, but generally start anywhere from 10 to 15% below Max. depending on the bullet and caliber.

trueblue1776
July 25, 2007, 12:46 PM
handloads.com has a fair amount of questionable data from unknown sources, I feel safer developing my own loads than using some internet yahoo's theoretical data.

Walkalong
July 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
I feel safer developing my own loads Amen

Guy B. Meredith
July 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
West Coast bullets was purchased by an Idaho firm and then returned to the original owner and location under the new name of X-treme Bullets.

Like the others I start with a lead load and work up. Could probably start higher as that is usually where it goes, but I am conservative. My current load just happens to be what the Lyman manual offers as the accurate load for 158 gr lead bullets in .38 spl. It is as accurate as I can make use of and goes fast enough that the steels drop with no question.

Walkalong
July 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
I am shooting the X-Treme 158 SWC at around 700 to 750 FPS. It is accurate and comfortable there as well as shooting slightly above POA in my Model 10 & Model 15 at around 10 yds. Well below max pressures, just effective for what I want.

If you enjoyed reading about "West Coast Bullet Data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!