Scrap Lead from Lead Acid battery's?

PDA

kellyj00
July 25, 2007, 12:14 PM
Say I've got a few old car batteries laying around. Could I drain the acid from them and use the lead to make cast bullets?

I'm just a little concerned that the lead isn't really lead any more, or it's lead that may be coated with mercury or something which would kill me when I start melting the lead.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Scrap Lead from Lead Acid battery's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
July 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
Really, really, reallly, really bad, dumb, stupid idea, Way tooo much antimony and other junk in the lead to make even poor bullets, let alone the other toxic stuff that you would be melting along with the lead.

hso
No more hazardous than lead. Be sure that you flush and wash before handling and you understand that the Hydrochloric Acid has to be dealt with. Wear chemical goggles and keep a hose running nearby while harvesting the lead plates.

gaudio5
if you got a bad feeling about it dont do it, hell i pull bullets i dont think "look" ok

snuffy
July 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
Todays maintenance free batteries contain some nasty chemicals other than lead and sulfuric acid. I can't think of what it is right now, but the fumes are deadly poison.

Ahhh, a short search over at cast boolits forum yielded this;
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=14131&highlight=battery+lead

It's the cadmium that is extremely toxic, caustic.

scrat
July 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
Same thing ZINC. Ainc is used in a lot of the batteries. Zinc as we all know is the number one failure of casting good bullets. When mixed with lead zinc will not cast correctly. you will end up waisting a lot of time and money to just throw away the junk lead.

ReloaderFred
July 25, 2007, 12:46 PM
In years past, people have tried to cast bullets from lead acid batteries and always run into the same problems. The acid leaches out of the lead forever and your bullets will frost. The acid will also attack the metal of your firearm.

If you can find a recycler that will take the batteries, go that route. Stick to wheelweights for your bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Bad Flynch
July 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
Do you like breathing vaporized Sulfuric Acid or Sulfuric Acid Anhydride? Or, how about vaporized Arsenic compounds or Calcium Compounds? DO NOT USE BATTERY LEAD; batteries are no longer pure lead.

This completely ignores that wet lead is a serious problem, even if one could wash off all of the unwanted chemicals. Water causes hot lead explosions.

Steve C
July 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
If you can find a batter recycle shop perhaps you can trade the batteries for some useful scrap lead like wheel weights.

Neo-Luddite
July 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
Wheel weights--but better still, virgin plumbers ingots.
If you use wheel weights, you'll really have to clean and de-grease them and then skim the molten metal/remove the steel clamp.

Pretty good quality lead---easily picked up for free or little money from a junk yard. I used to use it quite a bit to cast lead soldiers as a kid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scrap Lead from Lead Acid battery's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!