Any shooting video games you find compelling?

PDA

Boats
July 25, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I have to say that I have really enjoyed the Call of Duty series.

The firearms in the series are quite varied, even if not entirely realistic in their ballistics or damage modeling. It is also tremendously unrealistic that a soldier would carry two primary weapons as the game permits. I self-limit in this way by making my secondary weapon a battlefield pick-up pistol ASAP if one isn't provided by default in the scenario.

What I really appreciate about the game, as a shooter, is the ability to turn off the cross hairs on the common small arms and force myself to use the irons to engage targets. Too many games will give the shooter like a 6 MOA lethal hit with autoaiming that sometimes bears no relationship between the target and the rifle's actual point of aim.

The game also reinforces why the only .30 caliber self-loading weapon I bother to keep around is a Garand. The relative reload speed by these perfectly modeled shooters for the Garand is pretty high compared to the BAR, the M-1 Carbine or the various stripper clipping bolt rifles. The game also goes to show that 20 round magazines are not the capacity advantage they might appear to be at first. The 30 round weapons have really useful capacity advantages in comparison.

OTOH, the "Mp-44" (STG-44) in the series, where it properly appears timewise, is like a 7.62 AK with a hooded front sight. The game's only true "assault rifle," as opposed to SMG or MBR, shows why the intermediate cartridge auto rifle would inherit the future when it came into its own as a 30 round magazine package with decent accuracy and decent lethality. The Mp-44 in that game makes everything else feel dated, even virtually.

Are there any first person shooters that you recommend as an enjoyable diversion for people who actually shoot real guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any shooting video games you find compelling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HippieCrusher
July 25, 2007, 04:05 PM
Gun!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/gun/index.html

Sweet game- Old West scenario

hrgrisso
July 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
:neener:
JUST KIDDING DON'T BAN ME!!!

No I do recommend the Brothers in Arms series. The game ONLY has iron sights, which I think is tremendous. After playing this the Call of Duty series. Beyond that for guns the only thing coming to mind is Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Ghost Recon.

I must put a disclaimer on this however, I don't play games to get a realistic gun fun. Just not going to happen. Nuff said.

doubleg
July 25, 2007, 04:10 PM
Call of Duty 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas are my favorites. Wish I actually had my own XBOX but I don't have enough money to waste it on that junk.

Breakdaddy
July 25, 2007, 04:11 PM
I really like Battlefield 2.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2/index.html

HippieCrusher
July 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
Ghost Recon rocks!

RancidSumo
July 25, 2007, 04:32 PM
I play a lot of video games and most are gun games. Halo, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, Gears of War, Gun, Call of Juarez(sp). The list goes on and on.

Dannavyret
July 25, 2007, 04:34 PM
I enjoy Ghost Recon, especially the sniper packs you can find that are crafted by fans across the world. If I can find the one German site I had about a year ago, and if you go hunting, you may find "GSG-9 FIELD PACK 3.0" By Aton Gelsing of Bonn. He's crafted some awesome sniper rifle concepts including a mythical H&K caseless 50 cal that rocks!

Ohio Rifleman
July 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
The Medal of Honor series never disappointed, though I was into it long before I became serious about guns. Also, Gun Club is good, endorsed by the NRA. It's basically a target-shooting video game. Doesn't sound very exciting, but it's oddly addictive.

MaterDei
July 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
What's wrong with Counterstrike???

CountGlockula
July 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
Gears of War (realistic cover moves; 3rd person.)
Black (AK-47s, M16s, Boom Stick, Glock 17 w/ silencer, etc.)
Call of Duty
Splinter Cell (3rd person.)
Ghost Recon (3rd person.)

TN_shooter
July 25, 2007, 04:57 PM
Rainbow 6 Vegas
COD 3 (eagerly awaiting COD 4)
All of the Ghost Recon series.

MS .45
July 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
I play a lot of Ghost Recon right now. I have also enjoyed Halo, Brothers in Arms, Gears of War, Rainbow Six, among others.

rockinrussky
July 25, 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the Fallout series. They're post-apocalyptic role playing games(Fallout I, II and Tactics). They're not actual 'first person shooters,' BUT there is a wide array of weapons throughout, where I learned some basics of most weapons before I got into guns. There is a TON of EBRs, handguns, rocket launchers, & revolvers throughout. Heck its even got the Gauss rifle w/caseless rounds. You can shoot hollow points, ball, fmj, as well as occasional flachette rounds, with a very distinct difference in effect on the enemies. Attributes of each weapon strongly effects what they do. Quite interesting if you ever feel like geeking out RPG style :cool:

igpoobah
July 25, 2007, 05:14 PM
Syphon Filter, The omega Strain, I played and played and played....

Andrewsky
July 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
I play Day of Defeat: Source quite a bit. The weapons are pretty good, except you can't reload a Garand until all shots are expended but you can with a k98. Makes no sense.:scrutiny:

Exposure
July 25, 2007, 05:19 PM
I love all the games in the Half Life series as well as the COD line.

All completely un-realistic, all incredibly fun!

Ithaca37
July 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
I play Day of Defeat: Source quite a bit. The weapons are pretty good, except you can't reload a Garand until all shots are expended but you can with a k98. Makes no sense.

That is how the garand works. no internal magazine, instead enbloc clips that are ejected when the clip is out of its 8 shots. The K98 on the other hand uses and internal magazine which was fed by hand or stripper clips and could be topped off at any time.

I play both DOD and CS. they are not realistic, but it is game. If it was real life, it would suck.

Heavy Metal Hero
July 25, 2007, 05:26 PM
Rainbow Six 3 (Raven Shield) for the PC is my all time favorite shooter. I find it the most realistic and challenging of any game I have played.

Steve499
July 25, 2007, 05:31 PM
http://www.richsalter.btinternet.co.uk/cks1/index.html

Andrewsky
July 25, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ithaca, let me explain in depth.

If you load a Garand with an en bloc clip of 8 rounds and fire 4, you have 4 round left in the magazine. If you want to refresh the magazine, in real life you are able to depress a button on the port side of the receiver which will eject the clip and all 4 rounds.

There is no "topping off" of rounds in the k98 in the game. When you hit 'reload' it magically ejects all rounds in the magazine and another clip of 5 rounds is inserted into the magazine.

Is that more clear?

mindwip
July 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
That is how the garand works. no internal magazine, instead enbloc clips that are ejected when the clip is out of its 8 shots. The K98 on the other hand uses and internal magazine which was fed by hand or stripper clips and could be topped off at any time.

Yes you can top off a Garand I have done it many many times.

I think i am going to make a youtube clip just because of that rumor. I got a new digital camera that can take short movies.

Shadowangel
July 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
I'm eagerly anticipating Call of Duty 4, as the first modern Call of Duty. Aside from that, Rainbow Six Vegas is great, Gears of War is a lot of fun, and Battlefield 2 is cool.

Owens
July 25, 2007, 06:03 PM
Xtreme Accuracy...
It's really as much a simulator as it is game. All about benchrest competition.
More info at speedcoshooting.com

v8stang289
July 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
I enjoy the Call of Duty series and Battlefield 2. I just hope that Call of Duty 4 comes out for PC, I was disappointed when Call of Duty 3 didnt.

oldgold
July 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
More for the precision shooter;

http://www.firearmsid.com/eurosimulator/shooting.asp?Languages=amerikansk

quatin
July 25, 2007, 06:15 PM
CoD is the best. However the AI is pretty bad. If you want a challenge you have to play online. However online play changes game play completely and realism goes out the door. I also noticed that the 20 round mag on a BAR is counter balanced with a ridiculously long reload time. I think that's more of a game balance feature.

Colt46
July 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
Only in the year 2552 can the M-6D pistol be far more accurate and devestating to your opponents than the 7.62X51 Assault Rifle.
Not shooting related, but the Covenant plasma grenade that sticks to flesh is fiendish good fun.

Juna
July 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know about "compelling," but I enjoy playing all of the Half-Life series and Ghost Recon series, among other games. I don't necessarily think they're all realistic, but they're a blast to play.

Guitargod1985
July 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
Before I moved out of the parents' house a few years back, when I actually had a decent gaming machine (less bills to pay), I also used to play Day of Defeat and another Half-Life multiplayer mod called Firearms. I found Firearms mod to be quite a bit more fun than Counterstrike ever was, but it never caught on quite as well. As for Day of Defeat, there's just something about old-school WWII weapons that just gives me a... I mean... is really cool. I just don't play video games anymore because I came to realize that I have a hopless online video game addiction. I have a lot of trouble keeping myelf from playing for 5, 6, or even 8 or 10 hours at a time. And they say stay away from crack...

jobu07
July 25, 2007, 06:31 PM
I was always into Operation Flashpoint. More recently, i'm into its successor Armed Assault. Makes Battlefield 2 look like Counterstrike i'm told.

Macpherson
July 25, 2007, 06:40 PM
Another vote for Rainbow 6 Vegas here. It's very realistic, you have to use cover and move carefully, as it only takes two or three shots to kill or be killed. The only thing that game lacks is an AR-15 type weapon, and a ballistics model, as anything other than glass will stop bullets.

Day of Defeat is also a cool game; I dont know of any other shooters that let you tote around an MG42 or a Browning 1919, or have deployable support weapons of any type actually, and they are truly deadly if used properly.

Another very cool game that I just finished playing is called S.T.A.L.K.E.R for the PC, it's got a lot of different weapon variants and lets you use iron sights and has some great damage modeling and graphics, I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in shooter games.

hotsauce
July 25, 2007, 06:59 PM
The Darkness for PS3 is cool but kind of short. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay also rocked.

Justin
July 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry, guys, this is pretty much off-topic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any shooting video games you find compelling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!