To buy or not to buy... M1 Carbine

PDA

Kimber1911_06238
July 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
I am looking for a nice plinking rifle. I already have several .22's so don't suggest one of those. I am debating whether to get an M1 or an AR. I really like the feel of the M1 compared to the AR, but how does ammo cost and accuracy compare? I already know the AR's are probably more accurate, but is it unreasonable to expect 6" groups from an M1 at 100 yards?

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy or not to buy... M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kimber1911_06238
July 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
and what kind of price should i expect for an M1 carbine?

pharmer
July 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
Get the AR. Nothing wrong with the carbine but in today's reality you don't want to add another caliber (to feed) to your collection. Joe

SoCalShooter
July 25, 2007, 06:27 PM
Both are great choices the AR has a lot of custom stuff for it. I have both and I like both, you should expect to see a carbine around 650+ CMP has them but they are sold out. If you want a carbine you want to get it from the CMP. If you want an AR your are looking at a strarting price around 500 and going on up from their. If it were me and I had to choose I would get the AR.

DonP
July 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
6" or smaller groups from a decent M1 Carbine are perfectly reasonable to expect at 100 yards.

It's max accuracy range for an out of the box military rifle, with a decent barrel is probably 200 to 250 yards. This past winter I had a guy in my relay at a shoot, with an M1A1, do a darm good job at 200 yards.

As for the price, well this always stirs up a hornets nest, with folks going on about how they would only pay $300 for a decent one and they saw one at a show last year for $225 or uncle Harold bought one for $275. And the occasional old fart, I'm one too, going on about how he bought one from the CMP for $100 in the '70's. That was then, this is now.

The days of cheap carbines are long gone with rare exceptions.

The CMP just sold out something like 12,000 Inland carbines for $495 plus $22 shipping in about two and a half weeks.

Things are worth what people are actually willing to pay for them and $500 seems to be about what they are willing to pay, sight unseen.

FWIW mine has about 90+% finish on the metal, no Italian stamps and solid wood that just needs a little cleaning and oiling.

I have 2 AR's and 2 carbines and like shooting them all. Bottom line for me, the carbine is a beautiful gun, aesthetically one of the nicest looking rifles ever designed IMNSHO, with my Winchester '92 clone a darn close second on looks.

They are fun to shoot, light and fast handling and ... big plus ... the wife can handle it and goes to the range with me more often because of it.

Bentonville
July 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
The cheapest .30 carbine I have seen that is authentic, no import, is at a pawn shop about 2 hours from here. The gun is verifiably a Korean War bring- back. the original owner's name,(not meaning Uncle Sam), is available. The price is about 600 dollars. Bore is shiny. The gun was updated before going to Korea with the bayo lug, safety, pot bellied stock, new bolt, adjustable sights, etc. I think it's a Postal Meter but I am not positive of that. I know it's not an Inland. Anyway, the receiver and barrel are right. The other parts are mix master. It's a great gun. My brother sold it to the shop owner and he knows the history of the gun. The owner of the shop is honest, polite, and an all-around great guy. So..there's more info. than you wanted. I just wanted to talk about the neat little carbine and I wish I could get it but I have one and have other things to spend my limited amt. of cash on.

Sunray
July 26, 2007, 12:09 AM
If I was getting 6" groups at 100, I'd be annoyed as all get out. A carbine in decent condition using good ammo will do much better than that. If it doesn't there's something wrong with it.

U.S.SFC_RET
July 26, 2007, 08:00 AM
Sunray that was what the gun was designed for. Great little home defense gun. Great foe nostalgia and collectors. Stay with the mouse gun family if you want precision. Personnaly I love .30 calibers, 30-06 and anything WWII.
AR15s are great and they have a purpose. The M1 Carbine has a purpose as well.

DMK
July 26, 2007, 08:22 AM
If you really want an M1 carbine, just to have an M1 Carbine, then get one. They are great little rifles.

However, the AR can do everything the M1 carbine can do and more. Ammo availability is better with the AR and it's cheaper. The AR is generally more accurate. The AR shoots flatter. It's easier to mount optics on an AR. The AR is more versatile, since you can swap out uppers for different configurations, different barrel lengths and even different calibers. The AR is even easier to field strip and clean.

The only things the M1 carbine has on the AR are history and a wood stock.

Father Knows Best
July 26, 2007, 08:28 AM
The AR is undoubtedly the better and more versatile rifle. So what? I don't have an AR, and don't want one (been there, done that). I have two M1 carbines, and love them. They are compact, lightweight, fun to shoot, and historic. Plus, they're just beautiful little guns. They make me happy.

If you want one, get one. 'nuff said.

Kimber1911_06238
July 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
Ok so I found two M1 carbines at the local gun shop. What do I look for to determine value? Are there any telltale markings I should look for? Since I know very little about the carbines, are there are quick tests to check function? The bolts on both had a little play when they weren't locked up...is this normal or should they be tight? any help would be appreciated

Eightball
July 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
Personally speaking......at the rate ammo prices are going up around where I live, it's cheaper per round to feed my M1 Carbine than my AR. I've been able to hold 2" groups at 100yds with it if I do my part, and it's just a hoot to shoot--everyone who has shot it says "I want one of those!" And, it seems lighter than my AR. You CAN get an AR for sub-$800, but those examples are usually lackluster, from what I've seen. For the price, I'd say yeah, buy it. Besides, they're on "the list" of HR 1022, so they are both equally at risk.

mindwip
July 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
Go with the M1 carbine. It has a good history. I have one, and i think they look so much better then a AR15, but then i am a sucker for wood stocks. There are plenty of after market part for it too, thou no were near as much as the AR15.

Kimber1911_06238
July 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
any particular markings i should look for/stay away from. I remember one of them had a receiver marked from a company in NJ. I know i'm not being much help, sorry

asknight
July 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
The markings you want on your carbine...

Inland
Underwood
Winchester
Quality Hardware
Standard Products
National Postal Meter
IBM
Saginaw Steering Gear
Rockola
Irwin Pederson

Avoid Universal, Federal Ordnance, and other commercial copies!

Kimber1911_06238
July 26, 2007, 11:08 PM
thanks asknight, that's what i was looking for

If you enjoyed reading about "To buy or not to buy... M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!